Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone prefer the standard red tail lights over the Z06 clear "blackout" look?

I would thnk of having the dealership swap out (stingray stock) reds for z06 stock clears

Esp on a black car where the all-black may look too "street racer" for some tastes.

I am likely in the minority in this view, bit am curious to hear thoughts...

·
18,670 Posts
After first saying at the NAIAS a Reveal that the new Z06 taillights meet all Federal and state standards, at the Bash, there was one lone statement to the effect that "while we are pretty sure they meet all standards for all states, we are doing some final checking" (my paraphrase), ergo, some changes to the final design might occur, or maybe only for a few states (e.g. in a few states might they get the StingRay taillights?).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't have a problem with red tail lights. Aren't tail lights supposed to be red, even if you want them to look black?

·
Registered
817 Posts
For me it depends on the color of the car. The clear lights look nice on the Tiger Shark Grey, but I prefer the red lights on other colors such as Crystal Red Tintcoat.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'll stay with red, wouldn't want the drugged, drunk, texting, talking on cell, inattentive driver behind me having any harder time seeing my brake lights. This is coming from somebody that got plastered while stopped for a red light due to some self-centered, self-important, oh look at me I have a cell phone IDIOT that didn't see us stopped because her effing phone call was sooooooo much more important than the safety of the rest of us on the road. Thank God we left the Harley at home that fateful day.

Reactions: ptran00 and regguy1

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
After first saying at the NAIAS a Reveal that the new Z06 taillights meet all Federal and state standards, at the Bash, there was one lone statement to the effect that "while we are pretty sure they meet all standards for all states, we are doing some final checking" (my paraphrase), ergo, some changes to the final design might occur, or maybe only for a few states (e.g. in a few states might they get the StingRay taillights?).
Hi John,

So what is the update on this? I know this thread has not been visited for a while, but I think it would be a great question to have an in-the-know GM employee answer about the Z06 while at the Caravan.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,674 Posts
For me it depends on the color of the car. The clear lights look nice on the Tiger Shark Grey, but I prefer the red lights on other colors such as Crystal Red Tintcoat.
Color of the car with me, white, with red and black trim, red taillights fit right in for me.

View attachment 11913

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Yelp, that looks great.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I prefer red as well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
As John mention in another thread you can swap them out with the red stingray tail lights but it will be out of your pocket and not cheap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hopefully we can have the factory build it with the red light. I think it's ridiculous if we have to spend more than $2000 to swap em.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hopefully we can have the factory build it with the red light. I think it's ridiculous if we have to spend more than $2000 to swap em.
I'm sure when the time comes you will be able to find plenty of members that would be willing to trade with you, so cost should not be an issue. I personally prefer my red ones, but many members want black or smoked, so my guess is plenty will want the Z06 lights to make a look-a-like Z06.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
You are probably right, Gregg, but I don't like the idea of having to have the rear facia disassembled to get at it. I am a mod-averse type person.

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
82 Posts
I too would prefer red tail lights. I took the "Buyer's Tour" in Bowling Green in mid-September. While watching my LBR M7 Z06 on the assembly line, I noticed there were several Z06's being assembled with red tail lights. I questioned my tour guide as to why some had red tail lights and most had clear lights. My guide said Z06's being shipped overseas are required to have red tail lights. They are also required to have side marker lights on both mirrors and washers on the headlights. After finding that out, I was amazed at just how many Z06's were being made to be shipped overseas!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts