Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new car!! I only got to enjoy it for 40 miles before it started snowing again. Has a little salt film on it and it needs a wash. Just curious if I need to clay and apply a polish before applying sealant. Or can I just wash and apply my sealant? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If you had a piece of unpainted furniture would you just paint it? Or would you sand it first?

Polish and clay is the secret to great gloss and finish...I will always polish first...a fine finishing polish is all you need like meguires 205 and an orbital.you will not grind away any paint , just smoothing the surface.

Send me a pm and I'll send you a word doc with step by step ez directions....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Clay and then polish, or polish and then clay, or just one or the other?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I just picked up my new car!! I only got to enjoy it for 40 miles before it started snowing again. Has a little salt film on it and it needs a wash. Just curious if I need to clay and apply a polish before applying sealant. Or can I just wash and apply my sealant? Thanks.
Check your owners manual on page 10-70 under Finish Care. It says "Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax is not recommended." Is that what you plan to do?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Check your owners manual on page 10-70 under Finish Care. It says "Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax is not recommended." Is that what you plan to do?

That's the most absurd statement I've ever seen in a car owners manual.
(well, maybe not the most absurd but certainly near the top of the list)

OTOH, It says this in the last paragraph, "Occasional hand waxing or mild polishing should be done to remove residue from the paint finish. See your dealer for approved cleaning products." Then it says this in the Caution. "Machine compounding or aggressive polishing on a basecoat/clearcoat paint finish may damage it. Use only non-abrasive waxes and polishes that are made for a basecoat/ clearcoat paint finish on the vehicle."

What do you want to bet that if Chevy comes out with a line of branded "Corvette" car care products that line gets changes to. "Application of Corvette XYZ cleaners, sealants and waxes are highly recommended"......

If you stand back and read it on context it is obviously pointed to the CQuartz and Opti applications and not the more traditional polish and wax products.

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
3,718 Posts

That's the most absurd statement I've ever seen in a car owners manual.
(well, maybe not the most absurd but certainly near the top of the list)

OTOH, It says this in the last paragraph, "Occasional hand waxing or mild polishing should be done to remove residue from the paint finish. See your dealer for approved cleaning products." Then it says this in the Caution. "Machine compounding or aggressive polishing on a basecoat/clearcoat paint finish may damage it. Use only non-abrasive waxes and polishes that are made for a basecoat/ clearcoat paint finish on the vehicle."

What do you want to bet that if Chevy comes out with a line of branded "Corvette" car care products that line gets changes to. "Application of Corvette XYZ cleaners, sealants and waxes are highly recommended"......

If you stand back and read it on context it is obviously pointed to the CQuartz and Opti applications and not the more traditional polish and wax products.

OK well I like to "obey" the manual when appropriate. Is it possible the key words in that caution are "clearcoat sealant/waxes"? Obviously "occasional hand waxing or mild polishing" is good. Its just the clearcoat aftermarket application aspect they are cautioning against since that is done during production. I don't see your OTOH information in conflict with the clearcoat caution. I thought there were Chevy car care products. I think I saw them in the parts department at the dealer.

So are you saying that caution is incorrect and only there because Chevy is trying to misguide their customers so they can sell more of their own products and services? or they just made a mistake in saying that?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Mark is far more eloquent than me and he said it well...I have no idea what chev means in the manual. Maybe some legal stuff to cover them selves. But chev paint is std car paint like every other car out there these days. Base coat and clear coat. And to get solid protection and car gloss, the standard procedures of clay, polish, and seal applies. The autogeek pictogram applies for car care:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
While the statement is "clear", if we have "no idea what chev means in the manual" on page 10-70 regarding aftermarket clearcoat application, perhaps Chevy Customer Care can chime in here and tell us what they mean.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
What's even funnier, more than 50% of their dealers sell the crap sealants and "permanent wax" through the F&I department......

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wash
Clay
Polish
Wipe with rubbing alcohol and water
Seal

Learn what you are doing with the vids at autogeek.net
Wipe with rubbing alcohol and water<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<not necessary and waste of time

Clay
Polish
Seal

Keeping it easy and simple:cool:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
When you say seal what does that mean? CQuartz or Opti-Coat 2.0

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry disagree...seen many that seal over polish they did not get off...ISP gives you a clean surface for sealant.....
Must be amateurs that do not clean the car properly or inspect it. Never had a issue. to each his own. Still think its a waste better to just grab a few fresh Microfiber towels and give the vehicle a quick wipe down.:cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
When you say seal what does that mean? CQuartz or Opti-Coat 2.0
Seal means using any number of products from polymer sealants to good old Carnuba wax. CQuartz and Opti-Coat are high polymer sealants that usually require professional application and honestly, I don't see the need if you are willing to reapply a quality sealant every few months. I currently like Blackfire products though I've used Zaino many times as well.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my '14, red, vert last week and when I thought paperwork was all done the"finance mgr" said I HAD to see him. As I reminded him I just paid cash for my car I was Getting dragged into his office. He made me review why I needed all of the extended warranties totalling over $4,000. I said NO like a Vette guy does cause that's why I'm buying Vette #13 and they don't brake. But then he said I just had to buy the exterior and interior sealant, protectorant coatings and conditioners etc. or my exterior and interior would disintigrate within days, months and it will cost a fortune to get them redone back to normal. ON YEH that was an additional $1100. So for $5100 my $78,000 could be protected. Needless to say I have the $5100 in my pocket and I feel I can get a lot of EXTREMELY GOOD CARE from professionals not with the Dealer.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I picked up my '14, red, vert last week and when I thought paperwork was all done the"finance mgr" said I HAD to see him. As I reminded him I just paid cash for my car I was Getting dragged into his office. He made me review why I needed all of the extended warranties totalling over $4,000. I said NO like a Vette guy does cause that's why I'm buying Vette #13 and they don't brake. But then he said I just had to buy the exterior and interior sealant, protectorant coatings and conditioners etc. or my exterior and interior would disintigrate within days, months and it will cost a fortune to get them redone back to normal. ON YEH that was an additional $1100. So for $5100 my $78,000 could be protected. Needless to say I have the $5100 in my pocket and I feel I can get a lot of EXTREMELY GOOD CARE from professionals not with the Dealer.
It also sounds like you need a shower to get the slime off.......

They weren't happy just getting the $9000+ profit on a $78,000 MSRP deal, they need to try and bleed you for another 3 grand in pure profit!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I got 3 miles on my car before I did the wash, clay, 2 stage polish, sealant, glaze and wax. Definitely worth it IMHO protect your investment right from the beginning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For those of you who would like to see if your car needs a good clay bar, grab a plastic sandwich bag and put your hand in it. Lightly feel the paint on the car (clean car of course) and if you feel nasty grittiness, more than likely it needs to be clayed. Clay bar helps to remove rail dust from being transported. Rail dust is basically metal particles that plant themselves in the clear coat, and over time, they rust.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
While the statement is "clear", if we have "no idea what chev means in the manual" on page 10-70 regarding aftermarket clearcoat application, perhaps Chevy Customer Care can chime in here and tell us what they mean.
I have PMed Chevy Customer Care and asked them about this issue and what is meant by the caution on page 10-70 of the owners manual. I'll let you know what the response is.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts