Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of doing my own oil change from now on.....any tips and tricks you can share? Try to look in Youtube, but can't find anything that is complete or detail. First of all I am trying to find the right oil..... The manual says get Mobile 1 Dexos, and the weight I found in the manual says 15w-50 is that for track only or standard? any preferences on the oil filter? Oh I was also looking at the RaceRamp(member post), any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,685 Posts
Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic, that's it unless you track. If you have the 4 or 5 free oil changes coming (depending on model) let the dealer do them, JMO. After the freebies, then do your own.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If you want to do you own, go to harbor freight and buy a 3 ton jack and jack stands. All of $150.....get the proper filter and oil off amazon. Go to you tube to learn how to do it.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since yours is a non-Z51 wet sump engine, this applies directly to your car: How-To: Drain/Fill Engine Oil & Replace Oil Filter (Wet Sump) Specs on the Corvette Forum

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Z51 also...use the race ramps and drive onto it...so much easier....I use Amsoil 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter,
I was using K&N filters until they moved their US production to Mexico next to the Oreo factory....I don't buy either of them anymore.

Dave

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If you use Race Ramps, realize the car needs to be level for the oil to drain correctly. If you drive the front tires up on the race ramps, and don't do anything to raise the rear, you're not going to get all the old oil out of the engine.

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone!! Jerry Great PDF!!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
"If you use Race Ramps, realize the car needs to be level for the oil to drain correctly. If you drive the front tires up on the race ramps, and don't do anything to raise the rear, you're not going to get all the old oil out of the engine."

Are you talking about the wet or dry sump engines? If wet, do you know this for a fact? Looking at the design of the inside of the oil pan it does not look like much if any would be left in the pan even if the car is on a set of Race Ramps. See this link:
2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray 6.2L LT1 rated at 460 hp, 465 lb-ft

·
Registered
52 Posts
At Bloomington Gold Paul Koerner said changing on ramps was fine and that it wasn't necessary for the car to be level. He said the oil that wouldn't drain using ramps was negligible and not an issue. I think he said there is about a 1/2 quart tolerance on what constitutes an acceptable full oil fill.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I stand corrected, then, but the service manual for every car I've ever owned prior to this indicated the car needed to be level to change the oil.

So you're saying it's OK to have the front of the car high when changing oil? That will make life easier.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Thanks Everyone!! Jerry Great PDF!!
Thanks, the key with wet or dry sump is checking the oil level NOT just putting in the quantity of oil shown in the table in the Owner's Manual. In fact that is exactly what it says to do in the 2014 C7 Service Manual and what I've done all my life! It's the level that is important not the quantity. In a wet sump, so the crank and rod ends are churning excess oil in the pan and a dry sump so oil doesn't come out with the "burped air" that must vent from the tank and go back into the air intake duct.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The dealer did my first oil change, and I did my second oil change myself. I twisted the oil filter, using a 24" breaker bar on my oil filter wrench, trying to remove it. I had to brace myself against the front tire, again using a breaker bar, to remove the drain plug.
No more free oil changes for me.

·
18,670 Posts
At Bloomington Gold Paul Koerner said changing on ramps was fine and that it wasn't necessary for the car to be level. He said the oil that wouldn't drain using ramps was negligible and not an issue. I think he said there is about a 1/2 quart tolerance on what constitutes an acceptable full oil fill.
Paul Koerner is the "gold standard" on maintaining and fixing our Corvettes. However, was he asked the explicit question regarding just using two front ramps or was he assuming that the car was equally raised in four ramps? rocdoc02, can you respond back please as you were there....

Talked with my dealership this morning, and they always drive a car into a level ramp, so they would not comment. The key question is not the correct amount of fill, for that has been documented above, but where are the drain plugs, i.e., are they both located at the very back of the pans, for if they are not, just driving the front two wheels on ramps will not allow all the dirty oil to be drained. Can anyone comment on the location of the drain plugs vis-a-vis the oil pan please?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paul Koerner is the "gold standard" on maintaining and fixing our Corvettes. However, was he asked the explicit question regarding just using two front ramps or was he assuming that the car was equally raised in four ramps? rocdoc02, can you respond back please as you were there....

Talked with my dealership this morning, and they always drive a car into a level ramp, so they would not comment. The key question is not the correct amount of fill, for that has been documented above, but where are the drain plugs, i.e., are they both located at the very back of the pans, for if they are not, just driving the front two wheels on ramps will not allow all the dirty oil to be drained. Can anyone comment on the location of the drain plugs vis-a-vis the oil pan please?
You must have missed my post above. Click on this link to see a picture of the oil pan on wet sump cars: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray 6.2L LT1 rated at 460 hp, 465 lb-ft

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
Here is the oil filter and drain plug location on a web sump (non-Z51), so IMO you should definately have your car level when draining the oil:

P1060250.jpg

Reactions: elegant
1 - 20 of 32 Posts