1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Oh, that's sad.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got to the owner props for not locking his car away in a garage and using it as a dust collector. ;)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I got to the owner props for not locking his car away in a garage and using it as a dust collector. ;)
Seriously, you want to give props to a guy who ignores all the warnings about the factory tires then crashes his car????????

·
Registered
582 Posts
Seriously, you want to give props to a guy who ignores all the warnings about the factory tires then crashes his car????????
I didn't say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I didn't say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't think so ;) I agree, these shouldn't be garage queens but you have to take the proper precautions.

I'm not one to talk, my 10 year old Boxster S just turned 20,000 miles :eek:

BUT, my 930 had 115,000 miles on it when I sold it in '04

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ouch !!!

Most likely my car will be delivered sometime next month (FEB) and I live in the snow belt. The dealer said I could keep it at the dealership for a few days and pick it up when the roads are clear.
It'll still be a 25 mile white knuckle ride home and I'll pizz off a lot of people when I'm driving 35 mph in a 45 zone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm trying to understand why people drive sports cars in the snow?
Im trying to keep an open mind. Is it because the person put all there eggs in one basket? Is it because they have so much money it's growing on trees? Help me out here please.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Question: Will the cold weather (20-30F) affect the summer tires negatively (cracking?)? I need to pick up my car in MD and drive it 700 miles back through 20-30F temperatures. Roads are clear, so not worried about duplicating the OP effort.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll b getting winter tires.
Better two sets of tires than a winter gamble.
Have the dealer put them on.
Bet they will do it for nothin!

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd be more concerned about cracking your entire car up driving on summer only tires, not so much about damaging the tires. I have read on the forums and spoken with a MV accident expert that those tires might as well be hockey pucks as the temperature drops below 50, certainly below 40. I have delayed museum delivery until May for that reason.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, the summer tires are definitely less grippy in the colder weather - I drove my 2013 GT500 last weekend in 30 degree weather for a short period around town, and had to be careful when making turns while accelerating.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That C7 was not driven on the streets of Milwaukee during winter snow conditions. It is too clean with no salt along the rocker panels and no ice/snow in the wheel wells. It likely wrecked on dry roads and was hauled in on the roll-back

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm trying to understand why people drive sports cars in the snow?
Im trying to keep an open mind. Is it because the person put all there eggs in one basket? Is it because they have so much money it's growing on trees? Help me out here please.

Well back in '93 I bought a 40th anniversary convertible end of November and drove it that winter as it was my only car at the time. Coming back from CT I hit a major snow storm that shut down the highway for like 2 hours. When we finally started to move my '93 actually did quite well in the snow and I had no trouble driving home, the tires were GSC's.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Well back in '93 I bought a 40th anniversary convertible end of November and drove it that winter as it was my only car at the time. Coming back from CT I hit a major snow storm that shut down the highway for like 2 hours. When we finally started to move my '93 actually did quite well in the snow and I had no trouble driving home, the tires were GSC's.
Tread compound has changed radically in 20 years as I'm sure you know. Comparing what you did 20 years ago with the car and tires that are delivered today is somewhat worthless.

Driving the car back on the highway on freezing or near freezing temps will be touchy but certainly doable but I would be very, very careful. If there is freezing rain or snow then all bets are off, I wouldn't attempt to drive it, I would wait for the weather to clear.

Reactions: JvKintheUSA

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tread compound has changed radically in 20 years as I'm sure you know. Comparing what you did 20 years ago with the car and tires that are delivered today is somewhat worthless.

Driving the car back on the highway on freezing or near freezing temps will be touchy but certainly doable but I would be very, very careful. If there is freezing rain or snow then all bets are off, I wouldn't attempt to drive it, I would wait for the weather to clear.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Oh I agree but tire compound hasn't changed as radically as one might think, tires are still made from natural rubber, sometimes they do use a synthetic rubber substituted in part of the tire, but the key to tire compounds is at what temperature they start to get hard, snow tires stay soft in the cold and summer tires get hard. It's a give and take as snow tires have poor dry road handling so of course you would never race with them whereas performance tires love dry roads but hate very wet or snow cover roads.

My comment was directed along the lines of "why anyone would drive sports cars in the snow?" Sometimes people don't have a choice. When I was young I drove my '69 Camaro in the winter without snow tires. Tires are just part of the factor in driving in snow the other being the driver, having driven all my life in snow knowing how is as big a factor as the tires and vehicle type. The C7 with snow tires would actually make a pretty good snow car with all the electronics it has except of course in deep snow then it becomes a snowplow. :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Redc7,

It's not uncommon in many places to see any number of sports cars running winter tires with ski racks on them. In Europe it's the norm, many Porsche owners use their cars year round, it's a great thing to see as these are cars, not monuments.

When I was younger and didn't have the means to own multiple cars I would swap out to winter tires on my car. For those who are old enough to remember, Gislaved was the go to tire for sports cars back in the '70's and 80's then Pirelli, Michelin and Bridgestone started to import their winter tires. Bridgestone Blizzak's are amazing winter tires on a 911, they would be amazing on a C7 in the right combination.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts