Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the post about the door / fender rub bulletin. I thought it was just my car that had the problem but I guess not. I picked her up about 3 weeks ago and didn't even notice anything until a few days later when I washed her for the first time. It was the passenger door and nobody was really in the car with me in the first few days. The passenger door catches the front fender as it opens. You can see in the photos how the front passenger fender is slightly pushed in compared to the driver side fender. Look at the gap between the hood and the fenders. It's smaller on the passenger side. Needless to say I already brought it back to the dealer and they set up an appointment for me to have their body shop guys fix and repaint. It just stinks having to touch brand new paint work. Side note, the passenger seat is also a little loose. Any bulletin for that? lol. Anyone else with the door / fender rub issue? Or loose seat for that matter?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just checked mine and luckily it is fine. The car was completed on 4/29. The gap looks perfect, so I was shocked to see how close it actually becomes at that point where some appear to rub. Mine does not rub but it only misses by about 1/16".

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my 3LT, built on 1 May, I had the same problem. When body was cold, passenger door would open fine. After a few hours in the Florida sun, parts "grew" enough that the leadig edge of the door would nick on the fender. A straight-edge laid on the top of the fender showed the door was about 1/8'' inch lower. Loosening the top bolt in the door jamb and pushing down on the fender seems to have realigned things enough to clear. Will see what happens as the summer days get hotter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Picked up my NRB Z51 coupe on May 1. Noticed a small chip in paint on the leading edge of the passenger door on May 13 (about 600 miles on odometer). Thought I must have caught a rock on Monday evening drive. Based on this thread, it now appears there may be a fitment problem. Dang!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Tadge should see these so he can make some heads roll :mad: This does not fit well with those videos they made how they build these and stick filer gauges in between the panels to make sure they are aligned right..... I watched it many times,

Hey Tadge, have you see this post? No disrespect to you, but to your union workers that are not following the rules and procedures :mad:

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Tadge should see these so he can make some heads roll :mad: This does not fit well with those videos they made how they build these and stick filer gauges in between the panels to make sure they are aligned right..... I watched it many times,

Hey Tadge, have you see this post? No disrespect to you, but to your union workers that are not following the rules and procedures :mad:
Actually, it's the union workers who are threatening to strike because the management workers are pushing cars through QA that shouldn't pass. I'm not pro union by any stretch of the imagination but lets put blame where blame is due and not fall into the union bashing trap.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
On my 3LT, built on 1 May, I had the same problem. When body was cold, passenger door would open fine. After a few hours in the Florida sun, parts "grew" enough that the leadig edge of the door would nick on the fender. A straight-edge laid on the top of the fender showed the door was about 1/8'' inch lower. Loosening the top bolt in the door jamb and pushing down on the fender seems to have realigned things enough to clear. Will see what happens as the summer days get hotter.
If designed and manufactured properly, parts should have clearance for all temperatures within the specifications of where the car is expected to operate. I don't think GM has a disclaimer to not open the door in Death Valley in summer, so any temperature should be fair game to expect to open the door without a scrape.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I found this issue being discussed in Page 2 of the thread "body panel fit" dated Jan 18, 2014. It appears to have been a problem for some time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My salesman examined my passenger door yesterday evening. Chipped paint on leading edge of door was very evident. When the door was opened, he saw, and actually heard, the door edge rub on the rear edge of the quarter panel. The dealer will correct the problem per the GM-issued bulletin (PI1220). The bulletin indicates temperature changes may contribute to the expansion / contraction of the composite material. The adjustment will consist of "adding shims" to eliminate contact between the 2 panel edges. Unsure as to extent of the repair of paint. I'm thinking less is better?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Checked mine today while washing and I have the same issue on the passenger side. Actually a slighting popping sound when opening the door. I guess I'll have to get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, seems like a whole bunch of people with that problem. Well I just picked up my car from the dealership after the fix was done. They adjusted everything perfectly. For now they just put some touch up paint on the edges with clear coat over it. It's not absolutely perfect but I feel good enough compared to repainting and blending it into the fender and door. Rather not have paintwork like that done on a brand new car. You have to be looking for it to possibly notice it. I'll post pictures later. Here is the official bulletin for the fix:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow, seems like a whole bunch of people with that problem. Well I just picked up my car from the dealership after the fix was done. They adjusted everything perfectly. For now they just put some touch up paint on the edges with clear coat over it. It's not absolutely perfect but I feel good enough compared to repainting and blending it into the fender and door. Rather not have paintwork like that done on a brand new car. You have to be looking for it to possibly notice it. I'll post pictures later. Here is the official bulletin for the fix:

I like the idea of just touching up the paint. I agree that repainting and blending risks making the correction more obvious. Looking forward to your pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of just touching up the paint. I agree that repainting and blending risks making the correction more obvious. Looking forward to your pics.
The finished results for now... when you look close up in the second picture you can see the touch up paint but you really need to be up close. The last picture you really can't see it and that's where you would normally stand to look at how beautiful the car is. lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
The finished results for now... when you look close up in the second picture you can see the touch up paint but you really need to be up close. The last picture you really can't see it and that's where you would normally stand to look at how beautiful the car is. lol

Yours is a White C-7 and the Bulletin says the Problem is More Pronounced on the Dark Colored Vehicles and also can be present on Both sides of the vehicle. I'm not going to let the Dealer open the doors when they get it until they have examined both doors' fitments. Woops, I guess they have to open the door to drive the car off the truck & had to do it several or many times at the Factory after they were installed, I guess it may be too late already, although my Vette hasn't even been built yet, this is Crazy!!! Why wouldn't this be taken care of at the factory Now, 160 Vettes a day, or is it being addressed there? Anyone?

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I would imagine that by the time they issue a PI on this to dealerships, they also immediately start correcting it at the factory. But, I agree, make sure you have this checked as the first thing during your PDI.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I would imagine that by the time they issue a PI on this to dealerships, they also immediately start correcting it at the factory...
Rodney; Let's hope so, but given the hype (in the many GM videos) of how these panels were precisely fitted @ BG in the first place, I don't understand why this is a problem that is only now being detected.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Chip, I would bet that the guys that were doing that job (hanging the panels) before have more recently gone on to different jobs, and the new hires on the line for that job weren't getting it done correctly.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
As much as I hate posting these images up I felt that I needed to give all of you with and without front fender fitment issues a "heads up". I have no idea how many others will have this problem area revealed when / if their front bumper is removed during fender fitment, but be advised that it might. This looks to be a weak spot on the front fenders that has cracked.
fender panel crack.jpg
fender panel crack2.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts