Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, never say never but I seriously doubt if I'll ever buy one. I mean they look nice and are a good advancement in the line but they are all autos..... sorry, I want a manual.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,617 Posts
Was never a fan of the manual, does "gear grinder" ring a bell?" Have always been more comfortable with an auto, does "lazy" ring a bell?"

Due to my advancing age and an independence for not having any bills, I really don't see a C8 in my future. I've had a few visiting at my place recently, they are quite nice looking, but not enough interest for me to dive into.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
I've always said that once I reach an age and all cars are paid for and retirement could be on the horizon if I chose, then I would not take on another depreciating asset to have the latest and the greatest when I could just admire someone else's and enjoy what I have.

I said when I bought my C7 that it would be my pre-retirement toy so I need to honor my word to myself and my wife. Although the wife might not honor her words when she says I won't spend that kind of money on things that are wearable and shiny anymore. However, although I got what I wanted and I don't need anything newer, she can continue to do her frivolous girl spending within reason. 🤣 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
282 Posts
“Pre-retirement”, i’m going to start using that categorization for myself but only amongst friends so as not too get anyone at work too excited and have them pre-retire me😀

I wrote at length on another forum dedicated to mid engine on my views about the impending (at the time) C8 and I voted with my wallet by ordering a 2019 that was delivered just weeks before the reveal. I sincerely wish GM had continued to evolve the front engine. In fact I was hoping for a return to softer lines and curves that were more classic. I’m certainly still one who wants a manual because that aids in the recreation as far as I’m concerned but that’s not the only reason I did not and probably will not move to a C8.

I admire the C8 and appreciate the advancement in technology and capability but it’s simply a different car, not just a next generation like we’ve seen for almost 70 years. Is it pulling in new buyers? Maybe, but I don’t recall selling to the limits being a problem for any new generation of Corvette. Also, since “old guys“ are still buying and driving it, how does that really change the stigma, assuming you care about that sort of thing.

As far as the statement from engineering that they had gotten all they could out of the rear engine platform; bull$***. The front engine, long hood design continues in many of the worlds greatest cars, especially for GT cars which I would argue is the way most of us treat our Corvettes. When you can already go 0 to 60 in three seconds and soon every electric SUV will still smoke you from stoplight to stop light, performance is truly a lame rationalization. To paraphrase a character in Jurassic Park, just because you can do a thing doesn’t always mean you should.

So it seems I still have too much to say on the subject 😀. This is what happens when I haven’t been getting out enough to talk in person to my Corvette compatriots. I need to join a club, or maybe a therapy group, same thing.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I can't get beyond the huge vents on each side. It just isn't for me.

I look forward to a C9, all-electric, AWD, ZR-1.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm mixed on the side vents. Doesn't really "look" like a Vette from the side but my BIG NO WAY - is an automatic. BLECH!

As for all-electric? DOUBLE BLECH. ;)

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I'm mixed on the side vents. Doesn't really "look" like a Vette from the side but my BIG NO WAY - is an automatic. BLECH!

As for all-electric? DOUBLE BLECH. ;)
LOL! Maybe it could be an all-electric with a two speed manual transmission. :)

I know. I know. I am just joking about the transmission aspect.

Reactions: Ateupjoe and stevec

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! Maybe it could be an all-electric with a two speed manual transmission. :)

I know. I know. I am just joking about the transmission aspect.
LOL - yeah I know. All electric doesn't interest me at all. EsPECIALLY in a Vette. Faster? sure but have to stop and recharge for HOURS? sure.... no thank you....

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it goes without saying but I should’ve added, I mean no offense to folks who love and enjoy their C8. Like I said, I admire them but as we also often say, to each their own and it’s just not for me. I’ll be happily waving once I get used to identifying them far enough in advance 😀

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, same here! I'm sure they love 'em and wish them nothing but zero problems and years of love! Just that an auto isn't destined to come into my garage. As for the wave, sadly I think it's dying here in SW Florida. I wave at them all but seldom get a wave back..... :(

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
LOL - yeah I know. All electric doesn't interest me at all. EsPECIALLY in a Vette. Faster? sure but have to stop and recharge for HOURS? sure.... no thank you....
The requirement to charge for hours to go just 30 miles is a thing of the past (that died with the hybrid craze, and we are much better for it, I think).

For example, last weekend GMC revealed their upcoming Hummer SUV, and opened up their reservation banks. I got one before they sold out (they sold out in much less than an hour). I have given a deposit to my local GMC dealership. I am happy; however, I digress...

Anyway, my point is the following: GM says for that SUV a partial battery charge will take only 10 minutes, and that partial charge will be good for 100 miles. The maximum range for a fully charged battery will be 300+ miles.

Given that, by the time a C9 comes out, battery technology will be even better, and a Corvette will weigh much less than a Hummer SUV. Those two factors will enable charge times to be even shorter, and the range to be even longer. If GM chooses to make an all-electric C9, I expect that the range and charge time should be impressive.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't wanna dive real deep into this but given the cost, weight, time to charge, etc..... I seriously doubt in my lifetime (I R 67) that I'll EVER own an all electric..... to each their own.... ;) You like red, I like blue, etc.... lol

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,028 Posts
My C7 was a M7 Z51. I like to row gears. However, I have to say that the DCT in the C8 is fantastic to the point that I don't miss rowing the gears - not to mention that the DCT is far, far faster than I could ever be.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, if you're into speed the C8 is probably far superior. I just like the feel of shifting. As I said, not into racing. But to each their own. I'll never own an auto Vette, just plain seems wrong.... to me. ;)

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Don't wanna dive real deep into this but given the cost, weight, time to charge, etc..... I seriously doubt in my lifetime (I R 67) that I'll EVER own an all electric..... to each their own.... ;) You like red, I like blue, etc.... lol
Wait! I LOVE blue! The color of your car is fabulous.

P.S. The first picture is one I took of the color of the truck I wanted; the second picture is the truck being delivered to the dealership with the order specifications picked by my wife, before she just finally let her devious plans be known and took the truck for herself...

I think blue is my favorite color...
New_Blue_Canyon_with_Cocoa-Dune_small.jpg
4175.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks rdslon01! Blue's my fav as well. 3 of the 4 I've had were blue. My '84 I had painted with pretty much the same blue but there was24k gold flakes in the paint. It looked awesome. At least I thought so.... lol People hated the '84's but I thought it was a nice car. Except for the fact that mine was an automagic. ;)

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yeah, if you're into speed the C8 is probably far superior. I just like the feel of shifting. As I said, not into racing. But to each their own. I'll never own an auto Vette, just plain seems wrong.... to me. ;)
Thanks rdslon01! Blue's my fav as well. 3 of the 4 I've had were blue. My '84 I had painted with pretty much the same blue but there was24k gold flakes in the paint. It looked awesome. At least I thought so.... lol People hated the '84's but I thought it was a nice car. Except for the fact that mine was an automagic. ;)
You will never own an auto Vette, but you have owned an auto Vette. LOL. Never again, huh?

Some day you will be driving around in an all-electric C9 that charges quickly, with great range, not heavy, and you will love it. LOL. Don't worry: it will be a beautiful blue color. :)

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
My Bronze 84 had the glasspack mufflers on it, remember those? It was stolen and found stripped in an alley Ugh :ROFLMAO:😂

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure do remember 'em. Also remember taking a steel bar and breaking the "guts" out of 'em. 😄

1 - 20 of 27 Posts