Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the only real answer is to sit in it but it’s February in New England and I’m thinking about stuff instead of doing stuff. I’ve understood that C2s are somewhat of a tight fit between the driver and the wheel. How for example does it compare to a C7?

I’m not nearly ready to give up my C7 for another Corvette but if I ever do, I’m more likely to go backward than forward 😎

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My OPINION only. It depends on a couple of factors. How much use? Is this going to be a daily driver? I have several older muscle cars. I love them but they are still 50+ years old and getting older. I find myself constantly amazed how much these cars from 55+ years ago have shrunk since I was in them in the 60S, and 70S.:rolleyes: . That being said i still enjoy an occasional day in one of my old cars but would not enjoy it as a daily driver. Guess i am spoiled but I appreciate all the modern conveniences automobiles have today. And the additional safety elements decades of advancements have brought.
The C2 is an old car and no matter what has been updated it still will feel and ride like a 60 year old car in my opinion. Just no comparison to a C7 in my opinion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points. Definitely would not be a daily driver unless I get to go joy riding daily, which I guess is the goal. Anyway, i’ve owned 60s muscle cars and know what it would be like but I just haven’t been in the driver seat of one of these. Many years ago I had a friend who had a nice C2 convertible but I was probably smaller then 😁. I was certainly dumber or I would’ve bought that thing and kept it.

I agree with you about the more modern cars and in fact it’s how I wound up with late-model Corvettes as opposed to something older but I’m just thinking about it and how it might be nice, aside from the price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had a C2; a '67 327 (my "name") 300 hp 4-speed. First year for 4-wheel discs. It was our only car for more than 4 years; nearly 100,000 miles. Paid $4400 for it; traded it on a BMW Bavaria getting only $1300 for it. We have never wished we'd kept it, but we still enjoy looking at photos of it. If I can figure out how I'll attach a couple very faded photos, scanned from what's on the wall of our house. Our 2nd Corvette was our present 2014 C7 M7. It's now got 92,000 miles on it, an enormously better car (after all, nearly a half-century of technological improvement).

We've never wanted a car that we couldn't take on long trips. We have greatly enjoyed many car museums, but we don't want to own cars like that. Maybe if we had a great deal more money, and could afford our own mini-museum? Won't happen, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had a C2; a '67 327 (my "name") 300 hp 4-speed. First year for 4-wheel discs. It was our only car for more than 4 years; nearly 100,000 miles. Paid $4400 for it; traded it on a BMW Bavaria getting only $1300 for it. We have never wished we'd kept it, but we still enjoy looking at photos of it. If I can figure out how I'll attach a couple very faded photos, scanned from what's on the wall of our house. Our 2nd Corvette was our present 2014 C7 M7. It's now got 92,000 miles on it, an enormously better car (after all, nearly a half-century of technological improvement).

We've never wanted a car that we couldn't take on long trips. We have greatly enjoyed many car museums, but we don't want to own cars like that. Maybe if we had a great deal more money, and could afford our own mini-museum? Won't happen, of course.
Really 92k on it...interested knowing what if any issues you had with it. My 2014 3LT coupe has 16k on it and I just replaced the battery (acid leak at negative terminal) and a leaking hydraulic belt stabilizer tensioner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really 92k on it...interested knowing what if any issues you had with it. My 2014 3LT coupe has 16k on it and I just replaced the battery (acid leak at negative terminal) and a leaking hydraulic belt stabilizer tensioner.
Hope you put a gel cell in when you did the battery. No acid leaks and they last longer. Accident can leak down on wiring harness. Found that out on my C5, have C6 now with gelcell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problems that I recall right off. Did have to get a new radio because the infotainment screen failed. GMPP paid for it. Our GMPP will end this summer, but it would go to (I think) 112,000 miles (which won't happen in only 5 months!)

We've had some tire issues, but overall have been very fortunate. Two bent wheels, plus one that will need to be "sanded down" on the bead (next time the tire is removed, due to flaking chrome plating) to prevent pressure loss.

Still have the OE battery, probably foolishly! But it still starts the car "like new". We keep it connected to a Tender.

We've driven the car hard, but only occasionally, and never "tracked" it. Mostly long trips all over the USA and W. Canada. From Denver there have been road-trips to:

East - Vermont/Quebec, Outer Banks, Key West
South - Houston
North - Dickinson ND, Minneapolis, and Dawson Creek, BC
West - LA, SFO, Portland, Seattle, Port Angeles, Victoria & Vancouver BC.

Some of those destinations, like Key West, more than once.

Just under 1700 hours on the "clock" with an overall. average of 1355 engine revolutions per mile. After break-in during Nov-Dec of 2013 the car has never been used as an around-town driver.

Looked at our "log" and see about 20 trips of a thousand miles or more, and more than one of over 5,000 miles. When we can we cruise in 7th gear, and we've averaged more than 30 mpg. Don't use 4-cyl operation a lot, but some. (On the M7 it's voluntary.)

Obviously most miles are extremely "easy" on the car, but we do search out places to push it (like "Tail of the Dragon" near the Tennessee-Carolina border, and many other places less well known).

We've been unusually lucky, we think, but we've cared for the car very well.

We'll buy a C8 soon; hope our luck holds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts