Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for the masses:

When in Eco mode and V4 operation being displayed, do you experience a drive train shudder when stepping on the gas, thus causing it to go to V8 mode? A super-gentle squeeze doesn't cause the shudder. Mine has done this since new, and I am using Touring more and more for stop and go Los Angeles traffic because of concern of wear to the drive train.

Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used Eco for the first time yesterday for about 80 miles. It was mainly hwy driving. Perhaps it felt slightly different but it might have been in my head. How drastic is this shudder? I normally drive in tour for my comparison remark.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Mine has been slightly noticeable since new.

Reactions: grilloz

·
Registered
366 Posts
I noticed this since day 1. Very subtle. But it annoys me.

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Normal, just enjoy your ride...

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is primarily meant for highway cruisin. If you use it in the city it will bounce back and forth from 8 to 4 and back again. Not meant to be a city drive gear. Use touring mode when in normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
AT or MT? MT only comes on in 7th gear AT might go in -out more often?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There have been a good number of reports of people experiencing this, in most cases it is because this "change" is new to them, but my take away is that it is "real" enough. There is some belief that this change over is hard on the drive line and engine components such as the hyd. belt tensioner. It is way too soon to make a definitive connection between cause and effect in that issue though.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great information guys. Don't have my car yet, but trying to learn as much as I can from everyone on the forum. This will provide me with a great heads up on what to expect or anticipate to experience. So, I'm gather from MYKZDRM that after 800 miles this shutter might start going away or be hardly noticeable. Also, it makes sense to activate the Eco mode only when cruising down the highway... Chip, please keep everyone posted on what you find out...

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
RedHot has had a slight transition 'feel' when moving from V4 to V8 since day one. To my knowledge this is perfectly normal and occurs in all C7s. However, independent of mileage on the car, whether you notice it or not depends IMO on a number of interacting factors including: what you are doing at the moment of the transition (attention focused on every nuance or on why you are deciding to feed it gas for example), whether you are listening and involved in music or conversation, whether you are enthusiastically hitting the gas (won't notice it) or slightly increasing the gas (possibly will notice it), road surface and surrounding traffic, etc. I have never driven RedHot in Eco, just Tour, Sport, Track and when conditions require it Weather so my observations are only based on that. I have zero concern for the impact on drive train, engine, clutch etc. since again IMO shifting manually impacts all of those to a far greater extent than the CPU deciding to automatically shift between V4 and V8, as does doing a timed zero to sixty run, enthusiastically moving off the line from a dead stop, etc. All things this car is designed to handle with aplomb. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently took my car in with a video of this issue (shifting from V4 to V8 in eco mode when not under acceleration). I was told that there was a mechanical part damaged and a technical service bulletin on the problem, and that they have made the repair. I have no idea if this repair worked, as the dealership still has the car for other issues, but I thought it would help to know there is a TSB out there and you may have a repair issue. I'll post a copy of the TSB when I get it.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
This "issue" on my non-Z51 M7 went away completely when I went from the stock NPP exhaust to the Corsa Extreme exhaust and X-pipe. It fixed the problem for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts