Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members, I was told by the sales at the point of purchase not to use the Eco mode until the car break in. Did anyone hear the same suggestion? If this is true are we talking about the 500 miles point or 1500 miles? Thanks

·
18,670 Posts
Yes, told that when I picked up my car. If you have a manual transmission, do not use the ECO mode during the first 500 miles. With an automatic, it will cycle into ECO under certain conditions, except not if you are using your paddles exclusively. However, with an automatic, GM does not tell you must use only use your paddles during the first 500 miles.

The most important things during the break in period are to not use cruise control and to vary your RPM's (but not exceed 4,000 RPM). You can see section 9-18 of the Owners Manual for more info.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da..._pdf/2015-corvette-stingray-owners-manual.pdf

·
Registered
609 Posts
If that was true .. then GM could have easily programmed ECO mode to be disabled during the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Given that the automatic will use 4 cyl mode during the first 500 miles, whether you choose Eco mode or not, GM doesn't seem to see a problem with this. That said, if you have an M7, I would agree with the advice. Load all cylinders equally during the first 500 miles, just to be on the safe side.

As for GM programming Eco mode out, they could also program the car not to exceed 4000 rpm, or allow full throttle acceleration, during the first 500 miles, but they don't do that either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was told the same thing but didn't catch the part where A8s cycle into Eco when in Touring mode so I probably did some of my first 500 mi in Eco.

To me the most important aspect of break-in is to seat the rings properly which can't be done following the manual which was written for their liability and not for maximum engine performance. I followed something more like this... http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
When I broke my A8 in, I always had the A8 in manual mode (paddle shifting), constantly varying RPM's up to 4000. Typical freeway run would be a steady speed of 65-75, but changing gears every 1/2 mile (ie; 5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4.....etc). My car runs tight and eats zero oil with over 3200 miles now.

Reactions: muzzyc7 and elegant

·
Registered
136 Posts
As an engineer with many years of experience, I concluded that it would be best to break in all 8 cylinders together for a period of time. I have a manual transmission and only started using eco mode after 2500 miles when I was confident that the engine was broken in nicely.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree don't use it during break in.

As I said on other posts, ECO mode with my M7 gives me cause for concern and I have only used it intermittently up until a recent trip. I was past the 5000 mile mark giving me confidence that the engine was broken in. During the trip AFM made me quite aware of both its engagement and disengagement reinforcing the reason why GM switched to a steel torque tube. I averaged almost 24mpg.

The best for me without AFM was 22mpg on a similar trip at the 1000 mile mark. I'm averaging between 18-19mpg without a dent in the floor. The improvement in efficiency is not enough difference for me to praise the benefits of AFM over the mechanical hammering that was going on in the engine bay.

Like the 1-4 skip shift on the manual; it is all about getting the corporate average up ..... and I avoid using it too. If there is a greater risk of a catastrophic failure with AFM then it is the price we as a group pay to have the proverbial “cake and eating it too” but I'm not paying it. In my personal opinion; running a V8 in a V4 mode defeats the purpose of having a V8, it’s counterintuitive. I will not be using AFM much in the future.... if at all!

·
Registered
450 Posts
No one told me a thing I drove back to Houston from Hammond, La in touring & sport for quite some time. Its an A8 and I used eco, sport and touring on the trip home.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
As a matter of principle, I have not, nor will I ever use ECO mode in my Stingray. Also, I have an AFM disabler on order. :p

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I bought my AFM disabler and had it waiting before I ever took delivery of the car. On my drive home from the dealer, I plugged it in for the first time, and have never stopped using it.

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Everyone, appreciate for the feedback!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why are so many in a rush to send their American dollars to oil,producers in other parts of the world? Why not use ECO mode - after break in?

Say what you want about values like that only taking what you need (v4 gets me to Vegas just as fast as v8 does), but it's hard to deny the fact that your gas money enriches folks with potentially bad intentions. I've made peace with our political reality, but I still use as little fuel as possible going to work, picking up milk, etc. Well, I'm all talk, let's see what a civilized citizen I am once I finally have my 376 cubic inches..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Why are so many in a rush to send their American dollars to oil,producers in other parts of the world? Why not use ECO mode - after break in?

Say what you want about values like that only taking what you need (v4 gets me to Vegas just as fast as v8 does), but it's hard to deny the fact that your gas money enriches folks with potentially bad intentions. I've made peace with our political reality, but I still use as little fuel as possible going to work, picking up milk, etc. Well, I'm all talk, let's see what a civilized citizen I am once I finally have my 376 cubic inches..
I'm in no rush to send money overseas either but the corvette is not being sold as an economy car. Be realistic AFM is not critical to the buying decision. AFM has only one purpose and that is to placate the government thus avoiding a government overreach. (I will leave what overreach means to the conspiracy theorists).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Understood Fleet, just responding to the whole "AFM" is lame argument. I know why its there, and I do appreciate it. Indeed, its the stingrays mileage that actually makes it a very special sports car, there is nothing else like it.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Why are so many in a rush to send their American dollars to oil,producers in other parts of the world? Why not use ECO mode - after break in?.
Just for the record, the US was the worlds largest oil producer for 2014, so you may be sending your money to Texas or Alaska or other US locations. All of that oil, btw, has to be sold in the U.S., not overseas.

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Reactions: BenCasey

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
And at the risk of wandering further off topic, the nation we import the most from, by a large margin, is Canada.

How much petroleum does the United States import and from where? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Yes, and Canada has close to 5 times more proven oil reserves than the US! International Energy Statistics - EIA

We'll be buying oil from our good neighbors to the North for many decades to come.

I didn't use ECO during break-in (other than to test it out), and I find using ECO in 6th gear while on cruise control (65 - 75 MPH) to give me the best fuel economy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't post links, but a search will pull up interesting info on why OPEC is over producing. It's, to some degree, to hurt North America oil production.

No doubt, it's a dirty business. When prices rise, shale and fracking are profitable but at current barrel price rates, there's little profit.

Also, search a little on the latest condition of American oil production due to the sharp decrease in oil prices - it's not good.

Hate to be so vague, but I want to stick to the rules here.

If I'm allowed to make any point, i would simply argue that mileage on a daily driver is a worthy goal. There's a time for fun and then there's a time for listening to tunes and cruising in 7th.

Reactions: Mobius
1 - 20 of 29 Posts