Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a tapping noise that started a month or so ago. This sounds like it comes from the front wheels, but could possibly be from the rear of the car. It happens when turning fairly tightly and slowly in either direction. This is not the ackerman affect. It sounds more like something metallic tapping against a spoke and is very audible from outside the car as well as inside. I plan to take it to the dealer shortly to have it checked out, but if there is a problem with the wheels slip at the back, might that cause a tapping noise like that?
Sorry, this is now off-topic as the problem was not relating to the eLSD, but I'll provide an update here since I said I would. I took the car in to the dealer and they say the ticking noise is 'normal' due to the fact this is a track car and the rotors are 'free floating' whatever that means. They say they have made some adjustments but it will almost certainly start happening again soon. Personally I think they are trying to fob me off, so I will see how long the noise stays away for. If the noise doesn't come back then great, otherwise I will find another dealer next time.

·
18,666 Posts
Still no fix to the erroneous eLSD slip angle readings, and this has been the case since the Z06 was first customer delivered in mid-December 2014. Heard off the record from one GM engineer that it was introduced prematurely, yet 2+ years later still not corrected.

And at the same time, unless you are tracking your car, and/or even then as a point of curiosity, makes zero difference in the car's driveability. Certainly has not interfered with my enjoyability of my driving it. How many Porsche's and Ferrari's, etc., do not even have such a gauge.

Guess it will be removed or fixed for the next gen, ME or not.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Still no fix to the erroneous eLSD slip angle readings, and this has been the case since the Z06 was first customer delivered in mid-December 2014. Heard off the record from one GM engineer that it was introduced prematurely, yet 2+ years later still not corrected.

And at the same time, unless you are tracking your car, and/or even then as a point of curiosity, makes zero difference in the car's driveability. Certainly has not interfered with my enjoyability of my driving it. How many Porsche's and Ferrari's, etc., do not even have such a gauge.

Guess it will be removed or fixed for the next gen, ME or not.
Last night I noticed it while perusing the screens. Man, I certainly was concerned for a bit. Gotta love the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a new 2019 ZO6 and the eLSD gauge is showing 10% slippage even going down a straight road, regardless of Mode. I appears that the problems from day 1 with this gauge never have been fixed; does anybody know if that is correct? This was never fixed or do I have a problem?
Can anyone explain what 10% slippage is suppose to mean or indicate to the driver?
At the bottom of the gauge there is a section that shows 0 to 30 % with a green crawl along the bottom with acceleration, what does that indicate?
thanks in advance.

·
18,666 Posts
You car is just fine. The C7’s eLSD slip ratings were never refined to correctly read lesser (lower numerical) slip readings. Corvette staff are aware of this. As an example, my gauge read varying amounts 0-10 for its entire life on straight roads, and not one consequent issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is an explanation offered in the other forum in the Ask Tadge section, detailing what the gauge is intended to show. Makes sense to me. The important part of the explanation to me is this : "It's not showing how much slip is occurring across the eLSD clutch (between the two rear wheels), even though I can see how a driver could make that connection. ` Think about this as showing how much rear wheel spin you're getting at the drag strip in a burn-out box, for example."

So this tells me that all of the above posts where the driver is thinking that their wheels have some slip between them is incorrect, and is actually more attuned to how much slip would be allowed before the eLSD steps in.

·
18,666 Posts
Thank you cucumber1949. I always appreciate learning more. At the same time, GM is aware that in the C7, for the reason Tadge acknowledged, it can cause driver angst, calls and visits to the dealership.

eLSD is an improved system in the C8 in many ways.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts