Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone cleaning under the hood of your toy? What are you doing? So far I've been wiping waters spots and dusting. I used to use the $.25 car wash in the old days.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Adam's polishes has some videos on their web site about how to detail under the hood.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
A quick rinseless in a windex bottle works well, also the citrus degreasers work good. There is nothing that needs to be covered anymore on the new engines, just use common sense.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Simple Green works wonders. Spray on, let it sit, and lightly rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Simple Green works wonders. Spray on, let it sit, and lightly rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
Actually Simple Green is the last stuff you should be using; it is corrosive to bare metals (such as the Aluminum your engine is made from) and will cause damage over time.

As long as you are keeping up with maintaining the cleanliness of your engine bay, Glen's mention of waterless/rinseless wash in a spray bottle with some microfiber towels should be all you need.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually Simple Green is the last stuff you should be using; it is corrosive to bare metals (such as the Aluminum your engine is made from) and will cause damage over time.

As long as you are keeping up with maintaining the cleanliness of your engine bay, Glen's mention of waterless/rinseless wash in a spray bottle with some microfiber towels should be all you need.
Interesting, been misting lightly for years and no issues cosmetic or otherwise. That being said guess I'll switch to something else. ; )

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Anyone thought about perhaps mixing up some mild dish washing liquid in a spray bottle and then lightly misting that off and towel drying? A good dish washing liquid won't spot and has oil and grease cutting agents in it, while it is mild and won't affect any painted surfaces. Some people actually use it to wash the exteriors of their cars.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Anyone thought about perhaps mixing up some mild dish washing liquid in a spray bottle and then lightly misting that off and towel drying? A good dish washing liquid won't spot and has oil and grease cutting agents in it, while it is mild and won't affect any painted surfaces. Some people actually use it to wash the exteriors of their cars.
sure, but there are so much better ways, that don't leave residue....you want rinseless or waterless products...google them..

wipe down your bay every time you wash and it's easy to keep it clean since the radiator is a closed system...

here's one:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/duragloss-rinseless-wash.html#.U2eng8e7nrR

also, there is nothing better (not quik detailer) that rinsless in a windex bottle and a microfiber in the rear cubby to quik grab to get off that bird bomb, far easier to use on the paint than a QD...more lubricity...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
sure, but there are so much better ways, that don't leave residue....you want rinseless or waterless products...google them..

wipe down your bay every time you wash and it's easy to keep it clean since the radiator is a closed system...

here's one:

Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax 16 oz.

also, there is nothing better (not quik detailer) that rinsless in a windex bottle and a microfiber in the rear cubby to quik grab to get off that bird bomb, far easier to use on the paint than a QD...more lubricity...
BIRD BOMB!!!! LOL......... Never heard that one before, too funny. Thanks for the heads up on this product. Do you have to order on line or is it readily available through Kragen's, Auto Zone or Napa?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
They sell it in Some auto parts stores...go look at duragloss.com

But turtle wax rinseless is avail at Walmart.....

PM me with an email and I'll send you step by step ez detailing and rinseless procedures and product lists....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

Simple Green can pit/stain aluminum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts