Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a pleasant autumn evening so i thought it would be nice to enjoy the outside and give "Sting" a full wash. After drying the exterior i opened the hood to clean up the engine compartment. I don't always have time for this but did tonight. I instantly noticed the rust on what appears to be the exhaust manifold? (i may be mistaken and am open for correction!) I don't show the car, and some wear doesn't concern me too much, but i don't recall seeing this before, nor owning a car that looked this bad. Would you consider this normal? This is a 2015 non-Z51 engine. Are these made of some iron alloy? If so that could explain it. Anyway, any comments or feedback would be appreciated. TIA.

IMAG3386.jpg

·
Administrator
15,025 Posts
I believe ours (non Z51, Z06) are iron but have not see rust that consistent or that brown. Perhaps it was from what was in the water if cleaned at some point?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Frank, mine has the same "rust" so I'm guessing (hoping) it's normal.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff thanks for the reply. I believe the phone flash is to blame for the brownish color, but it is more of a general rust. Just parused a similar thread on another forum and the consensus was that its normal wear. This area doesn't get much water for me unless driving thru some rain.

Paul - thanks, i was hoping that was just the case!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ping... any other owners have this or better yet don't?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I don't have it.

Are you washing the engine? I don't wash mine, and I also don't use engine "cleaner" sprays, which can actually disolve some paints - I've seen it.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
As I stated above, I have the rusty exhaust manifolds. I've never used anything to clean the engine. I'm no metallurgist but I know surface rust will form on certain metal alloys without causing any damage. I've seen surface rust on fairly new differential covers, axles and even drive shafts. (Not Corvettes).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine were rusty as well....but not that bad! Looks like they are suffering from scarlet fever

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Maybe it's common on '15's since Jeff and Mobius have '14's. Of course promethius has the ultimate solution: Kooks Headers. :triumphant:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Understood. To answer a couple comments i have never washed the engine bay. Guess it could be related to the model year as well?

As long as its considered "normal wear" i won't fret over it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That is normal and many types of metal will form oxidation that is accelerated through extreme heating/cooling cycles like the exhaust manifolds. Even if you don't wash the engine condensation from humidity and changing temperature will cause surface moisture on engine components. It isn't anything that will affect engine life or performance so the only reason for concern would be for a show car and a switch to different manifolds (or maybe powder coating) would be the solution.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine are rusty too, which was another self justification to put stainless headers on. Much improve appearance.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Same thing is happening on the Honda four-cylinder engines. In fact it's worse, because being transversely mounted the manifold is right up front in your face, the first thing you see when you open the hood.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I checked mine out and not a hint of rust. I wonder if something is different in material on the 2016? I have 22K on mine and has been driven in the rain, etc.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mobius. Sure seems like that's whats going on with mine. I have to go in for a fall oil change + air bag recall service soon, is it worth even asking them? Or will they basically say the same thing... normal wear?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Thanks Mobius. Sure seems like that's whats going on with mine. I have to go in for a fall oil change + air bag recall service soon, is it worth even asking them? Or will they basically say the same thing... normal wear?
It seems to be a common, normal occurrence for rust to form on the C7 headers. It would also be labor intensive to replace them - I wouldn't want my car in the shop for this replacement, personally.

What's more curious to me is why some have C7s have this rust and some don't (yet). My only guess is that GM may have two (or more) suppliers for the cast iron headers, and these suppliers may use different final surface treatments in their manufacturing sequence. One may be more tolerant of rust formation (just a guess).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts