Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first had torque tube replaced then a week later car stalled 3 times in 2 miles...2 days later dealer figured out crankshaft had 0.001 inch end play causing it to lose signal and shut off engine...now new engine from GM on order...DID THE RATTLING TORQUE TUBE CAUSE THE CRANK SHAFT PLAY OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND?...EITHER WAY TOO MANY ISSUES WITH SUCH A HIGH COST CAR...luckily the District Mgr in Florida very helpful and working with me

·
18,669 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Thank you for sharing your learnings with the rest of us. This link, with its powerful last sentence in the next to the last,paragraph, may help answer your question:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...tenance/1623-driveline-support-alignment.html

Wondering if the first time the technicians replaced your torque tube, they did it I correctly, causing the need for your new motor?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sorry to hear this, yours is the third I've heard about for the same symptom. Based only on what I've heard, there is a special tool that is required to perform this operation. I wonder if your dealer's shop used it or even had it? What are your plans going forward?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did they give you a new car?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Something to consider here is; It is generally considered that a car that has had an engine replacement is not as valuable on resale when compared to an original matching number counterpart. I believe you should consider asking about a GM buy back just to see how that is received. I think I've read about another owner with your same issue having his car repurchased. Just a thought.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Duplicate on order...hope i dont have to wait long since i waited 9 months for 1st one
Nice to know GM will respond to complaints like this and a duplicate is on order. I think Chip's point is absolutely valid. A car with an engine replaced has lost significant resale value

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still in process so with holding judgement...if my car delivered to me with in 6 weeks ill be happy but that may be unrealist...one more problem and im jumping ship to a bmw or audi...a real shame since the c7 puts a big smile on my face but really concerned about competent dealer service going forward

·
18,669 Posts
Still in process so with holding judgement...if my car delivered to me with in 6 weeks ill be happy but that may be unrealist...one more problem and im jumping ship to a bmw or audi...a real shame since the c7 puts a big smile on my face but really concerned about competent dealer service going forward
I understand your frustration and would feel exactly the same way if I had experienced what you have been experiencing.

I caution your jumping to a BMW or an Audi without first thorough researching, including their forums. For example, bought a new 335xi BMW in 2008, a replacement a year later, and another one in 2011. I do not buy cars but infrequently, but am bound by a written agreement not to say any more. All I can say is that for six consecutive years, BMW had major problems with its high pressure fuel pumps in their N54 motors. Also check "Audizine" and other Audi forums, for year after year of engine carbon build-up problems due to direct injection problems that they do not seem able to fix. See how many Audi owners are, at their own expense, taking their cars to the dealership for expensive "carbon de-coking/removal," doing so about every 15,000 miles.

Again understand you have had a horrible experience. I hope it is solved very, very quickly to your total satisfaction.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Please keep us posted! I hope it all goes well, and you get that C-7 smile back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too had BMW 335i with N54 motor(2009)....really miss that car now that Im driving a used Impala loaner...Manufacturer gave me a certif to only be used once for accessories plus a slight allowance when I reordered second car....currently at the mercy of George Moore chevy service dept...Ill get back 1st car when motor swap complete but they got motor 11/26 and no word yet from dealer on ETA...despite all this I still want a C7 as my daily driver:)
Thanks for hearing me out

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I too had BMW 335i with N54 motor(2009)....really miss that car now that Im driving a used Impala loaner...Manufacturer gave me a certif to only be used once for accessories plus a slight allowance when I reordered second car....currently at the mercy of George Moore chevy service dept...Ill get back 1st car when motor swap complete but they got motor 11/26 and no word yet from dealer on ETA...despite all this I still want a C7 as my daily driver:)
Thanks for hearing me out
So you will be getting a second car and GM will allow you to drive the repaired car until the second car arrives, or am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Another issue with the torque tube and the owner reported these:"C7 Z51 VIN #1134 @ 1400 miles encountered a rattle under the car. After dealer evaluation and call to GM Tech Service, GM sends an entire new torque tube/driveshaft assembly and indicating that there had been other reports of this issue. Car is still at dealer in the process of being reassembled."

This was followed by this:"Now, 3 weeks after the new torque tube/driveshaft assembly was installed, the replacement failed as well ! ! Now GM has shipped a new, "certified" tt/ds assembly to my dealer and it is currently being installed."

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand your frustration and would feel exactly the same way if I had experienced what you have been experiencing.

I caution your jumping to a BMW or an Audi without first thorough researching, including their forums. For example, bought a new 335xi BMW in 2008, a replacement a year later, and another one in 2011. I do not buy cars but infrequently, but am bound by a written agreement not to say any more. All I can say is that for six consecutive years, BMW had major problems with its high pressure fuel pumps in their N54 motors. Also check "Audizine" and other Audi forums, for year after year of engine carbon build-up problems due to direct injection problems that they do not seem able to fix. See how many Audi owners are, at their own expense, taking their cars to the dealership for expensive "carbon de-coking/removal," doing so about every 15,000 miles.

Again understand you have had a horrible experience. I hope it is solved very, very quickly to your total satisfaction.

Just wanted to add that new BMW's and Audi's DO NOT have engine oil check dipsticks. They rely on a dashboard sensor. Not being able to check the oil level on a performance car is a deal buster for me. How would you know your oil has even been changed, or overfilled or under filled, etc.? All of these issues have happened to me on other cars including my last BMW. Yes I'm anal about my cars, as are most people on this forum.

I also hope everything is resolved to your total satisfaction. Good luck.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Just wanted to add that new BMW's and Audi's DO NOT have engine oil check dipsticks. They rely on a dashboard sensor. Not being able to check the oil level on a performance car is a deal buster for me. How would you know your oil has even been changed, or overfilled or under filled, etc.? All of these issues have happened to me on other cars including my last BMW. Yes I'm anal about my cars, as are most people on this forum.

I also hope everything is resolved to your total satisfaction. Good luck.
Porsches also use electronic "dip" sticks without manual backups.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Porsches also use electronic "dip" sticks without manual backups.
Yes, and they have been doing this since 1997 when they combined both. I believe it wasn't until the 2005 model year change over that the actually eliminated the dip stick. However, it's not just an idiot light on the dash, their DIC provides a graphic showing the actual level on bars from 1 to 10.

Also, if you get a Z51 you're only checking the oil level of the oil tank and honestly, a float and a gauge would be just as reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts