Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I’m slowly tinkering and modding my 2016 Z51 in arctic white. My plan is to share what I’m doing in a central thread, so I’ll continue to update this as I go along.

Overview. I picked the car up on 18Sep with 23,860 miles. It had a few small things done to include the manual trans shift mod, radar detector, micro suede leather seats, tinted windows, and XPEL clear pain protection.

I rode it around for a week to get a feel for what I wanted to do. Below are what I have currently installed:
  • Red tire caps. Super small but it was missing one and I like red so easy accent.
  • Red start button cover
  • Magnetic phone mount
  • USB charger for front cigarette port
  • Red wheel savers
  • K&N filter element
  • Cupholder anti slip insert
  • Amazon sunshade that I’m returning - poor fit, too long.
  • Jack pucks (temp)
    - LED cargo and plate lights (easiest thing ever)
  • Carbon flash and front chrome delete
  • Blacked out side marker lights

On the way:
    • MGW short throw shifter with gripper knob
    • Soler ported TB 91mm
    • looking for pedal replacements
    • Red passenger grip handle

Work done:
    - Manual Transmission and Rear diff fluid change. Completed at 24.5k. Both were well overdue

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can’t forget the thorough clay bar and waxing it got the weekend of purchase. Was pretty clean but had a gritty feel to the paint so a wax was due.

This was far easier to clean than my Ford raptor. Very enjoyable. My California silicone bar works perfect to get most of the water off during trying. I used turtle wax for clay bar and waxing. RainX for windows including top. I use a racing spray wax for touch ups and cleaning dirty spots.

Brake dust is real on this thing, tons of work keeping the white clean from that. For the rear exhausts, I simply used a chrome polishing compound that worked perfectly without scraping the pipes up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also added 2” blind spot mirrors. Considering moving to 3”. I like the blind spot mirrors better than the stock because of the perspective they offer. Details aren’t too important to me but being able to see the wheel outline and objects in the blind spots simultaneously is very helpful. I find the 2” to be a bit small on the passenger side, too far to keep the context I like, I’m 29 with good vision. Still not enough.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,666 Posts
I have those 2" round mirrors on both of mine, they are helpful to me.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
I have these Blind Spot mirrors and love the convex mirrors as are allowed in Europe and on the passenger side mirror in the US but I have them on both mirrors!

Pana-View Door Mirror for Corvette C6 & C7
  • High quality glass mirror with embedded silver reflector
  • Reduces side blind spots
  • Custom shape provides wide view
  • Attaches securely using 3MTM VHBTM tape

·
Registered
2014 Z51
43 Posts
Hey everyone. I’m slowly tinkering and modding my 2016 Z51 in arctic white. My plan is to share what I’m doing in a central thread, so I’ll continue to update this as I go along.

Overview. I picked the car up on 18Sep with 23,860 miles. It had a few small things done to include the manual trans shift mod, radar detector, micro suede leather seats, tinted windows, and XPEL clear pain protection.

I rode it around for a week to get a feel for what I wanted to do. Below are what I have currently installed:
  • Red tire caps. Super small but it was missing one and I like red so easy accent.
  • Red start button cover
  • Magnetic phone mount
  • Red wheel savers
  • K&N filter element
  • Jack pucks (temp)
On the way:
  • Soler ported TB 91mm
Work done:
- Manual Transmission and Rear diff fluid change. Completed at 24.5k. Both were well overdue

Thanx for sharing what yo

• Red start button cover
  • Magnetic phone mount
  • Red wheel savers
  • K&N filter element
  • Jack pucks (temp)
On the way:
  • Soler ported TB 91mm
Work done:

• Red start button cover
  • Magnetic phone mount
  • Red wheel savers
  • K&N filter element
  • Jack pucks (temp)
On the way:
  • Soler ported TB 91mm
Work done:

Thank you for sharing your mods in such detail. Will continue following your thread for ideas. I have a question. Where did you purchase the rim savers (brand names)? Who did you have install them? Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for sharing what yo

Thank you for sharing your mods in such detail. Will continue following your thread for ideas. I have a question. Where did you purchase the rim savers (brand names)? Who did you have install them? Thank you.
Rim savers were from Rim Pro Tec. I installed myself. Super easy. Clean the rim of any oils, residue, debris w/ alcohol pad. Stick the main rail to the flat surface of the rim (uses 3m automotive tape) cut to length. Then inlay the color bead, cut to length. Repeat. I have enough material leftover to do one additional wheel.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
FYI,

There is a designated area for “Owner Build Threads”. Since you are new to the forum don’t be surprised if the moderators move the thread which doesn’t change anything about the thread other than all the personal builds are together in one sub-forum. The link below takes you there so if you’re ever looking for something between the search functionality and the member builds area you’ll likely find.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
43 Posts
FYI,

There is a designated area for “Owner Build Threads”. Since you are new to the forum don’t be surprised if the moderators move the thread which doesn’t change anything about the thread other than all the personal builds are together in one sub-forum. The link below takes you there so if you’re ever looking for something between the search functionality and the member builds area you’ll likely find.

Thanx. I have a 2014 Z51, so this will be useful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI,

Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next up was a very simple cosmetic update, I used a fabric pen to color the white stitching red. Very quick and easy. My plan is to have red accent stitching,not all red. I also added a small red accent on the passenger grip on the center console.

I am going to continue hunting for reasonably priced red trim for the interior.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next up, MGW short throw shifter. This was a relatively easy and straightforward process. I will admit the instructions were a little disjointed for the C7 but nothing too complicated. I’ll add a photo of the finished product tomorrow.

General lessons learned:
  • Pay attention to the routing of the wiring harness. It’s important for a smooth reinstall.
  • There was no instruction, however with the flat stick you need to remove the silver bezel on the stock shifting boot. They include a replacement rubber bezel that is zip tied to hold the boot on.
  • Take your time when cutting the first rubber boot during reinstall. Getting a good fit is important. A new razor goes a long way.
  • I didn’t use the alignment tool during install, just lined the hole up on the bottom mount and that was fine.
  • Pay attention when cutting the heat wrap. I didn’t, cut it in half and it required some additional trimming.

The quality of the shifter is very respectable. I was impressed with the machining and fitment. The shifting is obviously shorter, more positive, and overall a really nice experience. I have the flat stick with the gripper shift knob (a bit more weight with a texture).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Installed the Soler Performance ported throttle body and throttle controller. Both were extremely easy to install, took less than 30min for both. Instructions were well written.

Test drive was certainly fun. I can absolutely tell the difference in when power is delivered - much earlier and more evenly. I couldn’t say if one has more impact over the other but I do know they work well together. Pedal is more responsive with less of a dead zone early on.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
I keep TC at SP9. Lu mode too much for me and the nannies kicks in when if you hit too hard.

Installed the Soler Performance ported throttle body and throttle controller. Both were extremely easy to install, took less than 30min for both. Instructions were well written.

Test drive was certainly fun. I can absolutely tell the difference in when power is delivered - much earlier and more evenly. I couldn’t say if one has more impact over the other but I do know they work well together. Pedal is more responsive with less of a dead zone early on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts