Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Next set of upgrades:
  • Tried Mishimoto open ended aluminum lug nuts - didn’t care for the color so returned them and go a set of Gorillaz Open ended steel lug nuts, really like these.
  • Knob trial. I have tried around half a dozen knobs at this point. I returned the MGW gripper and tried the Mishi weighted knob and DNC weighted knob. Both were okay. Came across raceseng and they make tremendous products. I have ordered three knobs from there now and enjoy switching between them.
  • Tonight I ran a bench test on the batter and it needs a bit of maintenance. Hooked it up to the factory tenderer.

Upcoming:
  • Corsa 3” double helix x pipe
  • P1X Procharger kit
  • E85 fuel sensor and kit
  • HP Tuner NGauge w/ Suction Mount
  • Innovate LC-2 Lambda sensor
  • Custom tune
  • Handkraftd Hydro-carbon steering wheel w/ alcantara leather
  • Semi gloss carbon fiber steering wheel bezel
  • 305 or 315 rear tires
  • Different brake pads - the Brembo dust is unreal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
how are the red wheel savers holding up?
So far pretty good. I had one fly off when getting on the highway but the rest still seem fine. I’m thinking it may have been degreaser or something from cleaning the rims that weakened the adhesive or something. The wheel that lost it has an abrasion in the rim so I’m thinking it might’ve seeped in there.

The kit came with enough excess for a 5th wheel so I redid it two weeks ago and it is good so far.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
43 Posts
I hope the other three continue to hold, and the one you are fixing doesn’t give you any more problems. My experience with rim savers/blades was a train wreck. I had the detail shop that ceramic coated my car put on the rim savers/blades. By the time I got home I didn’t have any of them left. Lost all four. Pretty discouraging. Good luck going forward.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I hope the other three continue to hold, and the one you are fixing doesn’t give you any more problems. My experience with rim savers/blades was a train wreck. I had the detail shop that ceramic coated my car put on the rim savers/blades. By the time I got home I didn’t have any of them left. Lost all four. Pretty discouraging. Good luck going forward.
Yeah I haven’t had anything like that. They’ve been on for over a month now and in that time I’ve driven around 4K miles (a lot, I know).

I’m assuming the prep work wasn’t on point or they weren’t careful to keep the adhesive in the center of the flat part of the rim.

For the replacement, I also added some epoxy where the cut is made and the two ends meet for both the base and the colored insert. Curious if that’ll increase integrity. We’ll see.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
43 Posts
I’m enjoying following your progress on the mods to your Vette I will continue to do so. Thanx.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Im looking at adding some new tires post blower. I’m thinking 265 front and 305 rear on my OEM Z51 wheels. Curious if anyone has any input or ideas. Priority is performance and traction from a dig.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
I’m running about 550 RWHP on my 2014 Z51

My Set Up:
  • Wheels: Front 19 x 9.5 and Rear 20 x 11
  • Tires: Front 275/30/19 and Rear 305/30/20
  • Front Stock: 8.5 vs. My Front: 9.5
  • Rear Stock 10.00 vs. My Rear: 11.00
Im looking at adding some new tires post blower. I’m thinking 265 front and 305 rear on my OEM Z51 wheels. Curious if anyone has any input or ideas. Priority is performance and traction from a dig.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’m running about 550 RWHP on my 2014 Z51

My Set Up:
  • Wheels: Front 19 x 9.5 and Rear 20 x 11
  • Tires: Front 275/30/19 and Rear 305/30/20
  • Front Stock: 8.5 vs. My Front: 9.5
  • Rear Stock 10.00 vs. My Rear: 11.00
Interesting. Did you try the 305s on the Z51 wheels? I'd prefer to not have to buy wheels if possible. I've seen some mixed reports.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Corsa 3" Double Helixx X-pipe went in today. Interesting install. Overall, super straightforward with one unexpected twist. The bolts on the exhaust flange were incredibly difficult to remove. Space in there was limited so two of them had space for around 1/8 ratchet turns. A few things for those that are interested in the mod:
  • When you get started, hit the flange bolts w/ PB blaster or the like
  • Hit the exhaust hanger gasket with wd40 - makes it way easier to pull off and put on. Don't be an idiot like me and put it on the new exhaust upside down, take a look at the photo for the proper orientation.
  • The best way I found to pull the exhaust hanger gasket off was to use two screw drivers, place them both in the opening and use the screwdriver against the metal as variable leverage for the screwdriver that's against the gasket. Was a breeze.
  • The doughnuts on my exhaust looked pretty rough. I didn't have a replacement handy so re-used them anyways but if you're prepping for the job, I'd order a new set.
If anyone has any Q's drop me a line. Getting the X pipe to california was a pain but is doable.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
Good question as I do not have stock wheels and didn't try them either so therin lies a difference....

Interesting. Did you try the 305s on the Z51 wheels? I'd prefer to not have to buy wheels if possible. I've seen some mixed reports.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Next purchase was a Uniden R3 radar detector. So far it seems to work a little better than expected. I wasn’t anticipating purchasing one but when I found they can also identify red light cameras, it seemed more worth while. Not that I’m running reds but many have a speed component.

I’m struggling with a mount that I like. I tried both suction versions that come with it and neither satisfied. I tried a popular one from Amazon that also went back today. Next one should be here Wednesday, we’ll see.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
43 Posts
What did that cost you? And what mean when you say it worked better than expected?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What did that cost you? And what mean when you say it worked better than expected?
It’s was 2 or $300. The R3 is a bit cheaper than the R7. Originally, I wasn’t planning on getting a detector. My brother is a sheriff and I know cops don’t sit there with radar on like they used to. Pops on to ping then back off. So I didn’t see much utility, detector would go off essentially when you’re hit.

I didn’t consider however, if a cop is running radar and hitting multiple cars. So that itself combined with Waze seemed like a good approach.

The unit itself has impressed me. I had low expectations but it doesn’t have too many false positives, can ID radar over 1k feet out, and it identifies red light cameras.

I ran wiring up the a pillar to hide the power wire and tied to the fuse box. Last piece is finding a mount that I like for it. Have another coming in tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Shift knob shopping. I really enjoy manuals and shift knobs are a really important component to the ensemble. I prefer weighted knobs and have tried almost a dozen at this point.

Mishimoto, Raceseng, EBay brands, DC Sports, etc.

Raceseng is by far the best I’ve used so far. I had up to three of them, recently sent two back and am looking at one more. I’ll have 3 total, two Raceseng and the gripper knob that came with the MGW STS (which I don’t care for).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Blower plan. I’ll be adding a P1X Procharger next week at 10lbs (they come at 7). I’m also adding a flex fuel kit so I’m expecting to run a blend of E85 and 91. I was going back and forth on upgrading the fuel system to handle full E85 however the return on horse power to cost was worse in comparison to the current plan.

In the future I’ll add a 32% cam, Secondary Port FI manifold, lower pump, and injectors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After market wheel is in, along with the new clock spring and matte CF bezel (to replace the aluminum in the steering wheel). The car was on when I broke the clock spring during the install, so I get a few warnings when I start up. I think the steering position sensor needs to be reset.

I finished the prep work for a flex fuel kit to run E85 on a blend and add a P1X supercharger and a 10lb pulley. I’ll be data logging with an NGauge and wideband AFR will be pulled with an LC-2 lambda sensor linked to the NGauge. I’ll bring it in for a tune and that should wrap things up. I expect to be wrapped up towards the end of next week.

After I finish up with this, next will be 305s on the rear with 245 or 55 on the front. Keeping the stock Z51 wheels.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,102 Posts
Send you a "PM Private Message" aka on this site it is called "Conversation" to your inbox....

Next purchase was a Uniden R3 radar detector. So far it seems to work a little better than expected. I wasn’t anticipating purchasing one but when I found they can also identify red light cameras, it seemed more worth while. Not that I’m running reds but many have a speed component.

I’m struggling with a mount that I like. I tried both suction versions that come with it and neither satisfied. I tried a popular one from Amazon that also went back today. Next one should be here Wednesday, we’ll see.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts