Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very pleased with this product from Corvette Mods.
I hides the un-slightly mufflers which have discoloration and weld spatter.

5-22-17 Z06 Exhaust filler plate mod.JPG

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
mjdart, everything is tucked in and your mufflers are well hidden, it makes you wonder why the General didn't do this during the design phase.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got the perforated one, and painted it black. It works very well. Now when I see a C7 without one, I really think it looks bad without it.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Yes, it does look great.

I wanted to do that when I got Caroline, but I could never get confirmation from any vendor that they would fit a Z06. It seemed at the time that all of them were for the StingRay and Z51 tailpipe size, which is smaller than the Z06, even if the StingRay and Z51 have NPP. So, I ended up painting my mufflers.

Yours, however, definitely looks better!

Painted_Mufflers_Post.jpg

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Yes, it does look great.

I wanted to do that when I got Caroline, but I could never get confirmation from any vendor that they would fit a Z06. It seemed at the time that all of them were for the StingRay and Z51 tailpipe size, which is smaller than the Z06, even if the StingRay and Z51 have NPP. So, I ended up painting my mufflers.

View attachment 157017
Rodney, even painting the mufflers works well than leaving it stock rusty looking! Even on the C5 & C6 this area was less than desirable.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rodney, even painting the mufflers works well than leaving it stock rusty looking! Even on the C5 & C6 this area was less than desirable.

SF
Rick
I saw your post, earlier and painting was very high on my list of choices, I thought if I don't like the filler I can fall back on painting. So far I'm very pleased with the panel except it's a little pricey but it costs money to bring a product like this to market, I'm glad I had the choice!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe heat dissipation and air flow? Does look good.
I'm wondering the same about the heat.

I hadn't thought about anyone actually seeing the mufflers until I saw this thread. Now I'm paranoid and think I'll get some high heat flat black and paint what can be seen ! :D

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I'm wondering the same about the heat.

I hadn't thought about anyone actually seeing the mufflers until I saw this thread. Now I'm paranoid and think I'll get some high heat flat black and paint what can be seen ! :D
I am really happy with the way that the POR-15 paint that I used is holding up. It looks exactly the same way today that it did when I first painted it over a year ago. I know I used a different color, but all I am trying to say is I would recommend that brand.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes, it does look great.

View attachment 157017
FWIW, the product I use, "Rust Reformer," doesn't look as good as paint but much easier to apply and it won't peel. 10 minute effort, no brush strokes etc. It does nothing to areas that are not rusty, it just evaporates away so you can put it over the whole area. I just taped a throwaway parts brush to a dowel and dabbed it on.

It has the consistence and look of non fat milk, could probably use a rag. It "only" changes the color of RUST (iron oxide) from brown to a blue/black. It protects it from further rusting. It's a chemical reaction not a paint etc.

Have not done my Grand Sport yet as the welds and the heat affected zone next to the welds where the aluminized coating burns off the 409 stainless, must be rusty.

My 2 month old Grand Sport is getting close. Don't want the rust to get flaky or you have to clean it off. When just surface rust no removal needed, in fact it won't do anything to bare steel until it rusts.

This is a PDF of what I did. May pics, two below: http://netwelding.com/Muffler_Rust.pdf
Before-After.jpg
Turns rust a blue/black
Before After a.jpg
Before and after when viewed from the rear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my filler panel at Corvette Mods

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
mjdart
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing