Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, take it easy on the new guy lol. I know there's a ton of videos and post. Wish I could hear the exhaust in person, thanks covid. But I've narrowed it down to two. DONT WANT RASPY. Want to keep the deep, just louder. And keep the NPP. Please vote and if you have a suggestion, let me know. Thanks guy.

1. Borla S-type with xpipe
2. Billy Boat Fusion with xpipe

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,473 Posts
Everybody's sound perception is different. Just the Borla X-pipe, no muffler change.

My setup on the '16 Z06 A8, pulled the NPP fuse for constant open, installed a Range AFM Disabler (no 4 cyl mode), and installed a Borla 60547 (hard to find now) X-pipe. Nice growl, a little louder with moderate gas, open it up a bit.......oh yeah...........no highway drone, I know it's there, but pleasant to hear, can still hear music.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
773 Posts
I had Borla Xpipe and liked it a lot and over time it just wasn’t enough for me after a few years and I wanted more. I recently switched to AWE Axle Back and I love the sound.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Over the years, I've heard a lot of Borla systems that sounded nice. A former neighbor had a C6 Corvette with Billy Boat exhaust. It sounded OK but IMHO not as good as the Borlas. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Ronsta69

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd say Borla for you...I had a Corsa mid pipe with Corsa Xtreme exhaust and it is loud and raspy on my 19 Z06 but I loved it! I had Borla S-TYPE II on my c6 and it sounded deep but not raspy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I just watched a few YouTube videos of the 2 you've selected and although YouTube sound tracks are never apples to apples, its the best we've got. I would go with the Billy Boat.

Now, depending on your financial situation, you could purchase both, try each one, and then sell the one you choose not to use. Just throwing it out there.

Reactions: Ronsta69

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Ok, take it easy on the new guy lol. I know there's a ton of videos and post. Wish I could hear the exhaust in person, thanks covid. But I've narrowed it down to two. DONT WANT RASPY. Want to keep the deep, just louder. And keep the NPP. Please vote and if you have a suggestion, let me know. Thanks guy.

1. Borla S-type with xpipe
2. Billy Boat Fusion with xpipe
So, your pick?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, your pick?
Well can you imagine this, my head is spinning in circles trying to figure out what to do 🤯. I REALLY like the sound of the stock exhaust system, its deep and all. Just wanted it louder but not obnoxiously loud. Now I was thinking maybe just a good X pipe and delete the secondary cats will do it or do the axle back? I dont know lol. won't pull the trigger on anything till after Christmas, got four grown kids and nine grandkids $$$, lol. Soon as I do decide I will let you know, thanks for asking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, your pick?
Oh, and I ordered the Range AFM disabler yesterday. The setup you have sound a bit like what I'm looking for. To bad Borla doesn't make the xpipe without the secondary cats. May look into Billy Boat and see what they have.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Got it. I just went with the catless x-pipe, that was plenty, and a nice sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it. I just went with the catless x-pipe, that was plenty, and a nice sound.
Ok, I am trying to learn about this stuff, lol. When you say catless, is that both sets of cats are gone? If so does that give you a warning light on your dash? Just curious, like I said I am just getting into this stuff lol. Thanx for any info and help.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Ok, I am trying to learn about this stuff, lol. When you say catless, is that both sets of cats are gone? If so does that give you a warning light on your dash? Just curious, like I said I am just getting into this stuff lol. Thanx for any info and help.
You have two sets of cats on the C7 stock exhaust, a monitored set after the exhaust manifold, a non monitored set on the x-pipe, the latter with no cats is what I changed out. No CEL.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
773 Posts
I ran my off road Borla with deleted secondary cats and it sounded good but I still needed more especially when you compare the sound to the Mustang and Mopar exhaust notes.

I switched to the AWE Axle back and it fulfills my check list of the sound I was looking for. That said, I was in your shoes with just the discontinued off road Borla xpipe and deleted secondary cat but wanted more. I think the Borla Axle Back probably would have given me something similar to my AWE Axle back System but since the Borla off road #60547 is discontinued I don’t know how the #60548 sounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran my off road Borla with deleted secondary cats and it sounded good but I still needed more especially when you compare the sound to the Mustang and Mopar exhaust notes.

I switched to the AWE Axle back and it fulfills my check list of the sound I was looking for. That said, I was in your shoes with just the discontinued off road Borla xpipe and deleted secondary cat but wanted more. I think the Borla Axle Back probably would have given me something similar to my AWE Axle back System but since the Borla off road #60547 is discontinued I don’t know how the #60548 sounds.
Thanks for the input, but it seems like every time a Mustang pulls up next to me and revs up his engine, it sounds so damn raspy, sounds like crap. I want to keep the Deep tone, yeah I wish borla still had that x pipe available. Corsa Double Helixx?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Whatever one you choose, make sure you get the chrome muffler bearings. (LOL)
This joke was around when I was in high school in the 1960's. 😅

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mustang exhaust is obnoxious to me 😱, can't stand them. 😁
Just letting you know that I decided to go with the Corsa Helix xpipe and the Borla S-type exhaust. Think this will sound badass. Will let you know when I get it and have it installed. I will let know how it sounds, can't wait, lol. It's going to be about a month before I can order them and its 6-8 weeks before it ships out, backorder.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Just a FYI, we had a few guys in the club remove the stock pipe and gut the secondary cats, a bit of a PITA, and it did change the sound, not bad either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts