Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys quick question,

I'm looking to get the American Racing Headers (ARH) 2"x3" long tube system with no cats for the car. I have a couple questions that hopefully some of the guys who already have this installed can answer for me.

1. The ARH website mentions that the system is a direct fit to the stock axleback, which I was intending to keep. I really like the Stealth/Track modes associated with the NPP valves. My question is, where are the valves located exactly? And if I kept the stock axleback portion, would the NPP system still be useable?

2. I want to get the no cat system since A) it's cheaper, and B) it'd be louder, so this is technically multiple questions in one. I know stock that the C7 has two catalytic converters. Is one in the axleback, so thus going with the trend above, would I still have at least a single cat? If I get the one in the link below, would that throw a CEL that would need a tune to fix? And, finally, with one cat (if that answer is yes), would that still pass an inspection?

That last question is just for convenience if you know what I mean :)

Thanks for helping me out. I have a bunch of pictures that I'll be uploading soon of some things I've done in recent months.

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
You may have some issues with no cats at all, may not pass inspections, and most likely throw a CEL. A handful of folks here have forgone the headers, installed an x-pipe, and whatever choice of mufflers, seems that most are quite happy with that set-up. I'm sure there are others here that will chime in with a detailed explanation regarding your questions.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
In addition to Norm's points, there are plenty of posts on the web regarding "direct bolt on" C7 exhaust system components throwing CELs, and it is known that long tubes can throw CELs. Apparently this is because the O2 sensor locations get moved, and with the new pipe geometry the O2 sensors do not heat up quickly enough (the ECU monitors this) and they may also not maintain proper temp - both can trip CELs.

You can get a tune to eliminate the recurring CELs, but now you get into the gray area of retaining factory warranty after a tune.

It seems like you've already done a good bit of homework, and hopefully you'll find another C7 pilot with these headers who can give you definitive answers.

·
Administrator
16,654 Posts
The NPP valves are located in the rear most mufflers, you can see them through the exhaust tips.

Reactions: willciolino

·
Banned
108 Posts
Sarcasm! Because he said it was a quick question. And it was a few questions like a paragraph long. Lol

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Sarcasm! Because he said it was a quick question. And it was a few questions like a paragraph long. Lol
Ahh, sarcasm........kind of frowned upon on SRF, it's nice not having to read acerbic comments that are mainly geared to embarrass or make fun of someone. Nice bunch here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh, sarcasm........kind of frowned upon on SRF, it's nice not having to read acerbic comments that are mainly geared to embarrass or make fun of someone. Nice bunch here.
It's all ok in my book, I have a sarcastic sense of humor. Hindsight, I would've said the same thing to myself haha

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 2 cents...I installed Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes + their green cats + their mid-pipe, dumping into my stock NPP mufflers and I absolutely love it. While considerably more expensive, I went with cats because I hate smelling like exhaust fumes and hate to smell exhaust fumes (gives me a freaking headache). My 69 Z28 obviously has no cats and I have to take a shower every time I get done driving it. I specifically went with the Kooks green cats because they claim to not throw a CEL and I didn't want to tune my car just yet. So far, after 500 miles on the system prior to putting her away for the winter, no CEL. Just wanted to share a different perspective...

·
Registered
12 Posts
You may have some issues with no cats at all, may not pass inspections, and most likely throw a CEL. A handful of folks here have forgone the headers, installed an x-pipe, and whatever choice of mufflers, seems that most are quite happy with that set-up. I'm sure there are others here that will chime in with a detailed explanation regarding your questions.
Sorry for beginners question, but what do you mean by "Throw a CEL" Thanks

·
Administrator
16,654 Posts
Sorry for beginners question, but what do you mean by "Throw a CEL" Thanks
It means that something will trigger a 'code' or the equivalent of an error message. It will be displayed on the Driver Information section of your main screen.

Reactions: lamonicar

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts