Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have an opinion about after market exhausts;e.g. FlowMaster, Borla, for 2014 1LT 7 speed coupe, with stock exhaust?

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the real world a good exhaust is worth 5HP, or so. I have done quite a few before and afters on my cars, and witnessed dozens of runs on other Vettes, and 5 HP seems to be the norm for a good set catbacks OR axlebacks. Some systems have little or no gain over the factory dual mode. I'm sure you can get over ten or more tinkering on a engine dyno, but who cares?

Headers are a different story.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I put Corsa's touring on my C5. I didn't notice any performance gain--however-- The tips filled the opening nicely and the sound was boss. I had them installed by Corsa and they aligned perfect. cutnout aka Charlie

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
In my opinion the headers are over hyped as to HP gains on the C7.
The LT1 exhaust manifolds are designed with individual tube for each cylinder, dumping into a large collector.
I have NPP exhaust and the pipes from manifold collector back are huge (about 3-3 1/2")
Older engines with exhaust manifolds that dumped all 4 exhaust ports into one tube might have some benefit , but not LT1
Are you going to get 35-40 HP more with headers .........not likely.

Look at the photos and make up your own mind.

8489632248_7ed6921eff_b.jpg 8489632110_50a764367d_b.jpg 8488535769_f183cc20bc_b.jpg Engine F Cradle 1.4.jpg Trans Diff 1.4.jpg Under NPP to front.JPG

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here's a video that includes my Corsa Sport. Only mechanical mod so far. IMO it sounds great, looks awesome and it fills up the rear visually real well. It was a general video of my car so you can skip 20 secs from the start. Turn your volume up a bit, compressed video made it quieter.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Older engines with exhaust manifolds that dumped all 4 exhaust ports into one tube might have some benefit , but not LT1
Are you going to get 35-40 HP more with headers .........not likely.
Great point, and great pics.

Plus, with NPP, you can completely change the audible "personality" of the car with the simple turn of a knob - the exhaust note differences ranging between ECO Mode and up to TRACK Mode are amazing.

If I want to impress onlookers, Sport Mode does the trick; if I want to frighten them, Track Mode with Active Rev Match is up to that task, but if I'm driving 8 hours on the highway to visit family give me Eco or Tour (so I can enjoy some music during the drive).

·
18,669 Posts
Love Corsa. Have it on my C6 Z06 and will have it on my C7 Z06. When our Corvette club goes for a driving event, people want to get in right behind our car, just to hear the Corsa, especially the "burbles" on downshifts. Agree that they are worth only about 5 HP, however the sound brings 500 miles of smiles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
In my honest opinion, I think the car sounds like ----, I think to make the car sound good, it needs a Camshaft change, as the cam in this engine sounds like a 1972 Ford 360cid. it sucks! it needs more overlap, and a bit more crispness to the overall body of sound. (JMO)

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my honest opinion, I think the car sounds like ----, I think to make the car sound good, it needs a Camshaft change, as the cam in this engine sounds like a 1972 Ford 360cid. it sucks! it needs more overlap, and a bit more crispness to the overall body of sound. (JMO)
I wonder what an "H" pipe would sound like instead of the "X" pipe. Probably no room for it though. I had a 2009 Bullitt Mustang that had a great sounding H pipe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it more of a frequency change or a loudness change? My wife and neighbors already know when I am bubbling into my driveway, so I am not so sure I'd want any more volume ;)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Is it more of a frequency change or a loudness change? My wife and neighbors already know when I am bubbling into my driveway, so I am not so sure I'd want any more volume ;)
The sample I heard sounded like both loudness and frequency/tone. Sounded great, but my NPP sounds great to me and I spent $1200 for it, so I don't need to spend another $1600 for something else.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just had American racing mid length headers, corsa's double helix x pipe, and their sport exhaust installed. While there are no longer valves for the dual exhaust sound, it is still not overly loud and cruising at 75 it's as quiet as the stock exhaust. It's a deeper sound for sure, a much better sounding one at that. With all that, there is a definite power gain. Based on the companies hp gain, I supposedly gained 40 hp and 45 in torque. I didn't do a dyno before and after, but there is a chang.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed the Billy Boat SS Bullet and have come to love it! It took me a bit to get used to the incredible sound as it truly changes the personality of the car. People give me positive comments all the time about the sound. I don't believe it added much in HP. My original car was Non NPP, so this was a welcome addition that gives the car the sound to match the performance. Paddle shifting with it is a "Fantastic, fun experience" especially on the down shifts. Here's my install video.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I just had American racing mid length headers, corsa's double helix x pipe, and their sport exhaust installed. While there are no longer valves for the dual exhaust sound, it is still not overly loud and cruising at 75 it's as quiet as the stock exhaust. It's a deeper sound for sure, a much better sounding one at that. With all that, there is a definite power gain. Based on the companies hp gain, I supposedly gained 40 hp and 45 in torque. I didn't do a dyno before and after, but there is a chang.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
Brandon: Without the valves in the new system, what has been done to prevent codes being sent to the car's ecm's?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts