Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
During heavy acceleration car makes a backfire sound at upshift.Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes..normal and actually designed that way. Somebody here will be able to find the snippet from the engineers as to why they did it....

·
Registered
429 Posts
During heavy acceleration car makes a backfire sound at upshift.Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, I have the same issue and inquired as you did. Also got the same answer. That said, and with no disrespect to others, I still have doubts because it seems like a significant loss of power as it "barks". I've heard that bark is designed in to avoid tranny issues at high rpm. Hope that's accurate. I haven't yet to try full acceleration in manual mode to see if it acts the same way. Also tried to describe it to the service writer at the dealer but they had no clue what I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Maybe Terrell from Chevrolet Customer Care can chime in and explain it? I don't have my car yet but I want to know before I get it so I know what to expect if it happens to me?

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Hey dougeb101,

I can definitely check with my internal resources to see if this is normal. Seeing that it is Friday evening, please allow a few days for a response.
Also, the service department at your dealer may be able to confirm if this is normal. Shoot me a PM describing your concern so I can forward it.

Terrell
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could it be the rev limiter that all cars now have. You hiT certain RPM and it don't go no higher. Just shudders till next gear.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Could it be the rev limiter that all cars now have. You hiT certain RPM and it don't go no higher. Just shudders till next gear.
Is this something that the service dept. can't answer easily?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The rev limiter cuts the fuel ecru to the engine to save it from blown up. If you have a newer car you should be able to do it by putting it in ine gear and taking it near redline. Car will cut out till you either let off gas or shit to next higher gear.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Search under "backfire". Good thread back in November that explains. ( thank goodness, I was worried also)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is normal. My new Stingray Z51 3LT and my 2012 R8 Spyder both do it and they are both automatic transmission cars. My 2014 R8 Coupe is a manual and does not. At least, I have not yet noticed it. Have only about 1000 miles on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just figured it was normal because when watching it get near the redline it goes off. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts