Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The extended warranty people are simply liars. They say anything to get the money.
I calculated that simply paying the GM rate of $90 an hour beats the insurance fee. Never the less. If you must get extended coverage do it thru GM
Gotta disagree...Had my rear hatch struts replaced and my infotainment screen & components replaced. Those two jobs totaled close to 2500 dollars. My extended warranty for an additional 40k miles, cost less.

I also have windshield, wheel and tire protection. Two of original five years are left. Three tire replacements and one wheel repair have already covered the cost.

Controlling the cost is the name of the game for me. Upfront money is the investment you make to buy the control factor.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The extended warranty people are simply liars. They say anything to get the money.
I calculated that simply paying the GM rate of $90 an hour beats the insurance fee. Never the less. If you must get extended coverage do it thru GM
I wish I could get GM service for $90 per hour. Going rate in my area is $140 per hour at the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Having purchased my USED 2017 Stingray on Dec. 10, 2018 and fast approaching the "expiration" of the OEM 3/36 Warranty, I had entertained the idea of purchasing a "Extended Warranty" from Menholt Chevrolet! With just 11,400 miles on the clock I opted to purchase a 2 year/36 K mile warranty from the Dealer where I bought my vehicle. The "Bumper to Bumper Policy" has a $0 Deductible. It is a Ally MAJOR GUARD Policy (Once a part of GM). The cost, IMHO, was reasonable for the coverage provided. I could be wrong, but I thought I had read that Menholt could not offer Warranties to Florida residents. Please don't shoot me if that is not the case. That said, I have confidence that my Vette is covered until I pull the plug on a 2020.
I bought a policy from Dennis about a year ago and I live in Florida when I bought it. I had to use it several months ago for a electrical part, with labor that was close to $ 700. I paid nothing. He was running a sale on the policy so I got a good deal on it. I'll bring it in next month for the windshield washer,which is not working , so I'll be close to being even with my policy. I have a early mfg 2016.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a policy from Dennis about a year ago and I live in Florida when I bought it. I had to use it several months ago for a electrical part, with labor that was close to $ 700. I paid nothing. He was running a sale on the policy so I got a good deal on it. I'll bring it in next month for the windshield washer,which is not working , so I'll be close to being even with my policy. I have a early mfg 2016.
Thanks for the input! Quite frankly, I would be happy if I never have to use mine:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a 2015 Stingray (7404 miles on it) two years ago along with a 7/year or 50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. I have used the warranty twice so far. What I really bought was a 2015 Stingray with “peace of mind!” :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
My used 2014 bought in 2015 has been perfect and has not had to be serviced one iota. That $2000 - $3000 not spent on extended warranty has really grown in my investment account. Just in 2019 YTD my growth in my investment account is 29.55% in which the growth alone in one year off $2000 - $3000 would have paid for most incidental repairs.

Again, I play the odds against something happening to me and I am easily $30k in my lifetime ahead of not ever buying warranties on none of my cars, tv's, appliances, homes, new roofs etc.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
They make money on these extended warranties so your advice may be well advised. GM offers 3/36 bumper-to-bumper and 5/60 powertrain. Purchasing an extended warranty may not be cost effective. I might not keep the thing beyond the warranty period anyway.
Be sure to price check a few GM dealers as they have very wide mark-ups.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts