Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how many people bought the extended warranty after they took their Corvette. They were asking me if I was interested In purchasing it for $2986 which would cover 84 months or 50,000 miles. They gave me a few days to think about it when I return to have the spoiler placed. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Suggest you use our Search Community function (for example Search results for query: extended warranty ) since this has been extensively discussed and basically comes down to (1) only get the GM warranty (2) any GM dealer can sell it and it will be honored by all GM service centers and is discounted depending on where you by it and (3) it is a personal risk/comfort decision and heavily influenced by how long you intend to hold on to your Corvette.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Jeff is correct: the search function is your friend. But I will add my two cents. I spent seven years of my "early" retirement selling BMWs and MINIs. While I never got an extended warranty for my own BMWs, I did offer the same advice Jeff just offered you to my customers--buy a factory backed plan, not an aftermarket one.Too many horror stories from my service guys about aftermarket warranties (including tire and wheel plans) denying claims. The only times I did buy an extended warranty were (1) in 1994 on a '93 ZR-1 (on which I never made a claim--too reliable), and (2) on my 2016 Z06. In each case I bought the Chevrolet Protection Plan (as they call it) rather than an aftermarket warranty. For the Z06 I got mine from Dennis and Ken Fichter who support this and other forums by offering usually better deals on warranties than local dealers (at least that was my experience). And this year my Z06 broke a valve spring. It was fully covered by my Protection Plan ($0 deductible, longest term and lowest mileage available), so it was worthwhile for me. And it would have been even more important if the valve had dropped into the combustion chamber and damaged the engine. If you never make a claim, then it is just for your own peace of mind. But it worked out well for me this time and is good through June of 2024.--Bob

Reactions: jsvette

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I totally concur with Jeff and Bob. I currently have extended GM warranties in place on both of my Vettes. I used the same source that Bob mentioned. It's just like any other insurance plan that you can purchase, in that it feels like throwing money out the window until the day when (and if) you need to file a claim. At that point, it becomes very, very valuable.
And, it all comes down to each person's risk tolerance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to know how many people bought the extended warranty after they took their Corvette. They were asking me if I was interested In purchasing it for $2986 which would cover 84 months or 50,000 miles. They gave me a few days to think about it when I return to have the spoiler placed. Appreciate your feedback.
On my C7….i did a little research with a couple of corvette forum vendors for a GM extended warranty..

Before my original 36/36 warranty expired, i bought a 60 month , 40,000 , O deductible from Todd at Mcmulkin Chevrolet for my 2016. $699.00

For about $12 per month its piece of mind. ...he is a forum vendor and they really try to help forum members...

if anyone is thinking of buying an extended GM warranty....give him a call.....(978)660-8045.....you won’t be disappointed...

Frank

PS It pays to do a little shopping…

·
Registered
5 Posts
I waited until my GM warranty was about to expire and then purchased a 5 year 60000 mile one on my 2014. It was about $1200.

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts
Jeff is correct: the search function is your friend. But I will add my two cents. I spent seven years of my "early" retirement selling BMWs and MINIs. While I never got an extended warranty for my own BMWs, I did offer the same advice Jeff just offered you to my customers--buy a factory backed plan, not an aftermarket one.Too many horror stories from my service guys about aftermarket warranties (including tire and wheel plans) denying claims. The only times I did buy an extended warranty were (1) in 1994 on a '93 ZR-1 (on which I never made a claim--too reliable), and (2) on my 2016 Z06. In each case I bought the Chevrolet Protection Plan (as they call it) rather than an aftermarket warranty. For the Z06 I got mine from Dennis and Ken Fichter who support this and other forums by offering usually better deals on warranties than local dealers (at least that was my experience). And this year my Z06 broke a valve spring. It was fully covered by my Protection Plan ($0 deductible, longest term and lowest mileage available), so it was worthwhile for me. And it would have been even more important if the valve had dropped into the combustion chamber and damaged the engine. If you never make a claim, then it is just for your own peace of mind. But it worked out well for me this time and is good through June of 2024.--Bob
I agree 100%. I purchased my 2015 in 2018, out of warranty, and I was concerned with all the technology and the very high cost of repairs so I purchased a GMEPP through Dennis at Menholt in Billings, Montana. Got a 5 year 40,000 miles at 50% of what the dealer in Birmingham quoted me for a 4 year - $2,200 vs $4,400. Apparently dealerships are free to charge whatever the market will bear. So 3 years and 3 months in seemed like buyers remorse BUT it is in for a new clutch master and slave cylinder as we speak. Didn't have to take it to a Chevrolet dealer either. My local mechanic, known as The Corvette Guy, got GMEPP approval in about 15 minutes. As Jeff mentioned one criteria is peace of mind. That was important to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
c
Check this guy out, factory extended warranty.
Dennis, 406-698-8355

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extended warranties are a big money maker for a dealer. I've bought many many new cars, including 6 new Corvettes over the past 55 years. I've never bought an extended warranty and never had occasion where one would save me some money. In fact, with the money I saved from not buying was enough to buy a couple more new cars. Lots of luck. PS, I might mention the 2021 C-8 in my garage is #39 Corvette in the last 55 Years.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
28 Posts
I’ve always had extended warranties, at 69 getting my first Corvette at 68 now 69.
I went with MPP offered through my dealership cost $5120.
A little high but covers more stuff (verified) than any warranty I’ve ever had.
6 yrs / 60,000 miles including service oil and oil filter changes every 6000 or 7 months.
Pretty much everything except tires, trans service.
I found this hard to believe but true also it can be transferred to the next owner.
I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to get in and out of my C8, but I’m enjoying it very much.
I’ve always have had something with power starting with muscle cars, sports cars, tuned diesel trucks which I have now, but never a corvette until now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchase an extended warranty on our 2016 C7 Corvette and I would not buy and new car or Certified without the extended warranty. Lots of Electronics to fail and LOTS OF MONEY TO REPAIR. The price will be higher the longer you wait. If you sell the Corvette you can cancel the policy and get a refund.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
28 Posts
I’ve never lost money in the end with the cost of my warranties compared to the repairs made after factory warranty ends and the extended continue.
I don’t think I will even with what I paid $5120 for a extended warranty for my C8 costs like what “Plastic” post 12 mentioned.
Unless you always trade-in before the factory warranty runs out, which I never do.
I feel the extended warranty cost is more sensible compared to what you might have to pay out of pocket after the factory warranty ends.

• Love
Reactions: Plastic Man

·
Registered
59 Posts
Second the information about Dennis Fichtner - we've bought two extended warranties (GMPP and now "Chevrolet") from him. A good man to know! His brother Leonard who started Fichtner Chevrolet was a Montana Chevy Icon; he died in 2018.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts