Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2015 comes off of warrant 12/15/17. Should I purchase an extended warranty or not? If yes, where is the best place to purchase said warranty?

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 2015 comes off of warrant 12/15/17. Should I purchase an extended warranty or not? If yes, where is the best place to purchase said warranty?
My advice would be no. They are very costly and it is normally much cheaper to just pay for repairs out of pocket. Obviously you will get the occasional major failure but that is rare. Also, I believe you have a longer powertrain warranty for 5 years / 50k miles that covers the really big stuff. For the most part extended warranties are not worth it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/extended-car-warranties-an-expensive-gamble/

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If I had to I would get the GM package as third party pre- repair approval gets you a headache. Charlie aka cutnout

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My advice would be no.
I agree with this and I have not purchased an extended warranty. However many people do purchase them and there have been examples described on the forum, mostly used purchases, where they are glad they did.

There are folks that can make a good argument for purchasing an extended warranty. Its probably just a personal decision based on what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with this and I have not purchased an extended warranty. However many people do purchase them and there have been examples described on the forum where they are glad they did.

There are folks than can make a good argument for purchasing an extended warranty. Its probably just a personal decision based on what you're comfortable with.
Thanks for your feedback. Will need to check this out very carefully.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For me, extended warranties have been mostly for piece of mind. I have gotten them in the past and they have paid for themselves many times over. I did get one with my 2016 that covers the length of the loan or 48K miles. I purchased them for both of my most recent DD (2007 Passat and 2012 Passat). I covered the cost of both warranties just in repairs made to the '07. Thankfully, the 2012 has not had a major issue, and is creeping up to 100K miles soon. I agree that it is a personal choice and also depends on the product. I paid $300 for a 4-year warranty for my last big screen TV. In 4 years, they replaced three screens that would have been $800 per fix. In retrospect, a wise investment.

Your call, but that is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought the extended warranty through the dealer, my dash went dark on a trip to Pebble Beach anyone have that experience? Fortunately it came back but she goes in next week to check for codes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are you talking bumper to bumper? The powertrain warranty is 5 yr/60,000 miles, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Are you talking bumper to bumper? The powertrain warranty is 5 yr/60,000 miles, if I recall correctly.
I think the powertrain was still 5 yr/100,000 mile for 2015 models.

·
18,667 Posts
I think the powertrain was still 5 yr/100,000 mile for 2015 models.
Correct; for the 2014’s and 2015’s.

2016+ C7’s went down to a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I'm talking bumper to bumper. Still contemplating.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Slats86, seems like there was a thread about costs on obtain the longer warranty but I can't find it now. At any rate, to me it's piece of mind. These cars have so many electronics that one fix rapidly hits 4 digits quick! Looking to hear what decision you make and why.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I recent purchased the GMEPP Platinum for 5 years/50,000 miles for under $1,500 (Dennis Fichtner @Denny Menholt Chevy). To me, it was cheap enough to be a no-brainer. I haven't had many issues with my 2014, but the infotainment screen replacement was over $800 (parts only), and fortunately covered under the initial warranty. Anything like that happens again in the next 5 years, and the extended warranty will pay for itself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recent purchased the GMEPP Platinum for 5 years/50,000 miles for under $1,500 (Dennis Fichtner @Denny Menholt Chevy). To me, it was cheap enough to be a no-brainer. I haven't had many issues with my 2014, but the infotainment screen replacement was over $800 (parts only), and fortunately covered under the initial warranty. Anything like that happens again in the next 5 years, and the extended warranty will pay for itself.
Is that an additional 5 years / 50 miles from the date you purchased the contract? If so how many miles were on your Corvette when you purchased the warranty? If it is for an additional 50k miles and 5 years starting at the date you purchased it then that is not a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Never been a fan of extended warranties. If you put on a ton of miles each year it may be useful but as wvanepps said originally, it's sometimes cheaper to pay for the repair as you need it and the major powertrain warranty has the 5 years if you won't exceed on the mileage part.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Is that an additional 5 years / 50 miles from the date you purchased the contract? If so how many miles were on your Corvette when you purchased the warranty? If it is for an additional 50k miles and 5 years starting at the date you purchased it then that is not a bad deal.
Yeah, that is one of the things which I will require to be cleared up before I purchase an extended warranty.

Is the time and mileage purchased added to the current time and mileage on the date of purchase, or is the time and mileage added to the "in-service date" and the mileage on the car when first purchased?

If it is the former, I will buy one, if the price is right. If it is the latter, I will have to more critically analyze the situation and carefully count up the cost before deciding.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I purchased one for peace of mind with this computer driven car. $1200 for 5 years and mileage is from current mileage.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I purchased one for peace of mind with this computer driven car. $1200 for 5 years and mileage is from current mileage.
Are the 5 years from your original "in-service" date, or from the date you purchased the extended warranty?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts