Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all have known for months, the Z06 provides us four factory wheel options : Pearl Nickel, Black, and Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe, and Chrome. So far we have good close up pictures of the first three. These pictures show that all four, at least for 2015, are identical construction, design, and execution. We know that the fronts are 19X10, the rears 20X12. Do not yet have offsets, weights nor other technical information. While we do not yet know weight, the 2013 ZR1 wheel, also 20 spoke, identical size, weighed 26.9 and 28.7 pounds respectively.

Pearl Nickel:

Black:

Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe:

Chrome: No decent picture yet.

Due to the "darkness similarity" of the black and the Spectra Gray Wheels, here is a close-up comparison pic:

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think you are right, that Pearl Nickel will be the no-cost, standard wheel. Based on last year's pricing to at least give us a start on the imperfect predictive world, thinking the black wheels will be $500 option, the Machine Spectra Gray's will be a $1,000-$1,500 option, and the Chrome ones will be $2,000.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Oops, this is a better place to ask the question.

What happened to the Pearl Nickel wheel option for the Z06? Is that what is being called "Silver" above, or have they dropped the Pearl Nickel option?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My deposit is IN for a Z06 Convertible ... I had "planned" on getting black wheels but I am VERY interested in the new Machined Q6J wheels. My problem is that I will likely have to place my order Before getting to see the Q6J wheels in person ... I'm typically a "triple-Black convertible " buyer but I'm leaning to either Crystal Red, Velocity Yellow, or Laguna Blue (in that order) to set-off the Z06's dark vents/trim, etc. ... For those of you who have seen the new Z06 Convertible IN PERSON, would your wheel preference be Black or Machined Q6J with each of these colors. I KNOW that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, still, asking for your studied opinions

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My deposit is IN for a Z06 Convertible ... I had "planned" on getting black wheels but I am VERY interested in the new Machined Q6J wheels. My problem is that I will likely have to place my order Before getting to see the Q6J wheels in person ... I'm typically a "triple-Black convertible " buyer but I'm leaning to either Crystal Red, Velocity Yellow, or Laguna Blue (in that order) to set-off the Z06's dark vents/trim, etc. ... For those of you who have seen the new Z06 Convertible IN PERSON, would your wheel preference be Black or Machined Q6J with each of these colors. I KNOW that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, still, asking for your studied opinions

THANKS!
Your right! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The thing is.... We're all different with different tastes and while one might make certain decisions for themselves on what they like, there's always someone that will come along and critique it for whateverrrrrr reasons they might have. Do your own thing and if your happy with what you decide on, GO FOR IT. There's no right or wrong. The demographics are wide spread in these forums as to age. Customarily the older crowd go for chrome or silver while the younger crowd prefers black.... While the chrome or silver might provide contrast between the wheel and the tire, the black might match the accent colors of the side vents and carbon fiber components. Some are looking for something that provides a touch of contrast in order to break up the wheel from the tire, yet blend or fit in with the black accents of the CF trim, such as with the Spectra Gray Machined wheels. When you get right down to it, you have to decide on what makes you happy and forget about what anyone else thinks. We've all gone back and forth with this.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im a big fan of Black wheels on any color. Mine will be black...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your right! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The thing is.... We're all different with different tastes and while one might make certain decisions for themselves on what they like, there's always someone that will come along and critique it for whateverrrrrr reasons they might have. Do your own thing and if your happy with what you decide on, GO FOR IT. There's no right or wrong. The demographics are wide spread in these forums as to age. Customarily the older crowd go for chrome or silver while the younger crowd prefers black.... While the chrome or silver might provide contrast between the wheel and the tire, the black might match the accent colors of the side vents and carbon fiber components. Some are looking for something that provides a touch of contrast in order to break up the wheel from the tire, yet blend or fit in with the black accents of the CF trim, such as with the Spectra Gray Machined wheels. When you get right down to it, you have to decide on what makes you happy and forget about what anyone else thinks. We've all gone back and forth with this.....
I appreciate your comments ... but my point is that I won't get to SEE the Machined wheels before I order ... so I was simply asking for feedback from those who had the opportunity TO SEE Q6J wheels ... vs Black

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Responding to several questions above:

Silver wheels = Pearl Nickel Wheels (and they are beautiful in person!);
Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe = Spectra Gray With Machined Groove wheels
Personally love the "Spectra Gray with Machined Groove" wheels, and believe they will look good really well with almost every color. Like the bright aluminum machined stripe, for it provides a visual break between the black wheels and the black tires. In direct sunlight will look like a dark gray wheel, with metallic flecks that Harlan Charles said would pick up/echo the carbon flash metallic rocker extensions (if you are getting them); conversely in low light conditions, more than a few folks will walk buy your car and think you have black wheels.

"DDCH," I think the Spectra Grays would go perfectly with all three exterior colors you are considering! (Getting them with my VY Z.). Can not make a judgment as to whether black or Spectra Gray Machined Groove wheels would go better, as I think both wheels would go excellently with all three colors you are considering.

And, most importantly, as "tmcternan" wrote, paraphrasing here, forget what everyone else thinks , especially your friends (but not your significant other), and get exactly "whatever makes you happy."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts