Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is unclear to me if this is truly a TSB issue or not, but I do know that several owners have had the belt tensioner on their cars begin leaking. Here is the problem: The belt tensioner on the C-7 uses a piston and hyd. fluid to do what was previously accomplished by a spring assembly in prior generations of corvettes. The primary symptom is a "Ticking" that is somewhat louder than the normal ticking of the high pressure fuel injectors. Additionally there are wetted areas of the front suspension and perhaps the ground under the car as a result of hyd. fluid seeping on it. Here is the number for the issue: Bulletin PIP 5185 Updated to PIP5185AI just found out that the PIP means preliminary information and is an unpublished bulletin, only available to GM service personnel.

hydraulic-fluid-leak-pip5185.jpg
Thanks Sally!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the current part number for the current belt tensioner. 12658273 I will be keeping eye on this part number to see if it changes. If in the future you have this issue and you see a different part number on your paperwork please drop me a message and let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the current part number for the current belt tensioner. 12658273 I will be keeping eye on this part number to see if it changes. If in the future you have this issue and you see a different part number on your paperwork please drop me a message and let me know.
FYI... I just had my Drive Belt Tensioner replaced. Part Number 12686272 is on the paperwork for my 2016 Stingray.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My invoice for repalcement in Sep 2019 shows part number 12668977. This is for a 2016 Z51 stingray.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2015 stingray with 16350 on it....It goes in tomorrow to have the belt tensioner replaced. Does anybody know what the normal charge is for this? Mine is under a bumper to bumper warranty but online they say the average cost is $271.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
RedHot's was replaced at 18886 miles a couple of years ago and under the warranty. The invoice at the time showed $231.22 paid under the MFG EXT SVC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My next question is, is the new part better that is being put on today better designed than the old part? In other words, since I only got a little more than 16,000 miles on this belt tensioner, what is the expected life of a new belt tensioner?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same question. Anybody who changed it at the 15k-20,000ish mark have to do it again at 40k?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got my 2015 stingray back today after the belt tensioner was replaced. The tech spent a good deal of time with me afterwards answering my questions. I feel pretty blessed having a dealer that is close by that gives excellent service. The new part is number 12686272. This is a replacement for part number 12658273 and 12668977 according to the part description. The tech said that with a new part number comes a new upgrade from the previous part. He also said that when parts are issued like this, the old parts not sold are sold to parts clearing houses. They then sell these to consumers at reduced prices..... I’ll let you all know how things go with the new belt tensioner!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts