Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at the dealer for the next several days to fix the dreaded A8 shudder and a flaky infotainment screen. Man I hope it all gets resolved. As the title states, fingers crossed 馃馃徎.

Registered
Sorry for your troubles. Can I ask you to take a moment to describe a bit more what this "shudder" is. I have seen past posts but not sure I have read a good description. I even took time today to search but I am not very succesful with the search.

I am currently experiencing two things:
1. almost constant fluctuation of RPS up and down in a range of 50-100. Enough for me to feel as the driver. The dealer diagnosed this as a bad tensioner and replacing it helped some. This is the second tensioner replaced.
2. When I accelerate sometimes, especially at highway speeds of 50-75 I think I feel an almost knocking at the point of initial acceleration. This bumping feels like it is coming from the drive shaft and lasts very briefly. The second one cant be recorded or videoed but I feel it in the seat and steering wheel.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for your troubles. Can I ask you to take a moment to describe a bit more what this "shudder" is. I have seen past posts but not sure I have read a good description. I even took time today to search but I am not very succesful with the search.

I am currently experiencing two things:
1. almost constant fluctuation of RPS up and down in a range of 50-100. Enough for me to feel as the driver. The dealer diagnosed this as a bad tensioner and replacing it helped some. This is the second tensioner replaced.
2. When I accelerate sometimes, especially at highway speeds of 50-75 I think I feel an almost knocking at the point of initial acceleration. This bumping feels like it is coming from the drive shaft and lasts very briefly. The second one cant be recorded or videoed but I feel it in the seat and steering wheel.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.
Sadly both 1 and 2 are happening. Dealer thinks it could be the torque converter. They鈥檙e going to flush the transmission fluid first per TSB 18-NA-355. It鈥檚 just like you described, an odd almost hesitation and jumpy rpm鈥檚. I feel it anywhere between 40 and 70. Look up torque tube, it could be what you鈥檙e hearing in #2.
I鈥檒l keep you updated. They鈥檙e going to have my car for a week or so.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car has been at the dealer for over a week. I finally get a call saying they couldn鈥檛 reproduce the issue. It鈥檚 annoying that dealers play this game. For those interested it鈥檚 Maher in St Petersburg, FL. I鈥檓 still pushing for the transmission flush and replacement of the terrible stock fluid. Anyone have a suggestion for a good dealer in the St Pete/Tampa area? Clearly Maher isn鈥檛 the answer.

Registered
Not sure if this related to C7 tramsmission issues presented here, but between taking delivery and my first service, I read that Chevy was not adding enough transmission fluid to their own recommended level. When i took my '14 in for its first service, i ask them to check it - it was way low. So they topped it off.

I wonder if what you are experiencing is somehow related to operating with low transmission oil from the Bowling Green.

Registered
2017 Corvette Racing Yellow 2LT A8
Car has been at the dealer for over a week. I finally get a call saying they couldn鈥檛 reproduce the issue. It鈥檚 annoying that dealers play this game. For those interested it鈥檚 Maher in St Petersburg, FL. I鈥檓 still pushing for the transmission flush and replacement of the terrible stock fluid. Anyone have a suggestion for a good dealer in the St Pete/Tampa area? Clearly Maher isn鈥檛 the answer.
Not answering your question about a dealer recommendation in Tampa area... BUT, I just had this service done on my 2017. It was out of pocket for the Mobil 1 flush as the warranties have expired. I actually spoke to 2 local Chevrolet dealers AND a GMC/Buick dealer in my area. None of the 3 dealers I spoke to even hinted at acting like they might not do the fix. From my understanding, they were ALL aware of the Service Bulletin GM has out on the 8-speed transmissions. This issue affects more than just the Corvette... they are doing these flushes on all sorts of vehicles. I can't believe a dealer would decline doing the transmission flush knowing the TSB and probably doing these flushes regularly. Dealers can be so frustrating!! A good one makes all the difference! Good luck.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I鈥檓 done with these clowns when I get my car back tomorrow. I鈥檝e got a road trip coming later this week and will get it looked at again at a dealer where I鈥檓 heading that I trust. I was even willing to pay for it and they still thought I should wait. It makes no sense. They also expressed how short handed they are right now. Maybe it was too time consuming? Who knows.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the car back today. They ran some software updates for the transmission and the infotainment system, changed the oil, and fixed a evap solenoid issue. So far it feels ok. Still not thrilled they wouldn鈥檛 flush the transmission.

Registered
Got the car back today. They ran some software updates for the transmission and the infotainment system, changed the oil, and fixed a evap solenoid issue. So far it feels ok. Still not thrilled they wouldn鈥檛 flush the transmission.
It is possible that something in the diagnostics told them it was something else. If its ok now, I wouldn't worry. Does it again, they will have no choice.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They said that it鈥檚 something they can typically induce and they couldn鈥檛. Mind you they only drove the car 5 miles. I really only notice the shudder 1 out of 10 times driving. So it鈥檚 very intermittent. They said not to worry about it until it really becomes a regular thing. I was more concerned because I鈥檝e got a 1200 mile road trip starting tomorrow and wanted to make sure I didn鈥檛 end up breaking down for some reason (would be my luck). Plus, I haven鈥檛 felt confident in driving more aggressively due to the shudder. Like I鈥檓 going to grenade the transmission. I鈥檓 probably overthinking it. Again, thankful I have an extended warranty.

Registered
They said that it鈥檚 something they can typically induce and they couldn鈥檛. Mind you they only drove the car 5 miles. I really only notice the shudder 1 out of 10 times driving. So it鈥檚 very intermittent. They said not to worry about it until it really becomes a regular thing. I was more concerned because I鈥檝e got a 1200 mile road trip starting tomorrow and wanted to make sure I didn鈥檛 end up breaking down for some reason (would be my luck). Plus, I haven鈥檛 felt confident in driving more aggressively due to the shudder. Like I鈥檓 going to grenade the transmission. I鈥檓 probably overthinking it. Again, thankful I have an extended warranty.
At least now its on the books. Something happens, they can't blame you.

Registered
My car is at the dealer for the next several days to fix the dreaded A8 shudder and a flaky infotainment screen. Man I hope it all gets resolved. As the title states, fingers crossed 馃馃徎.
Had 2 C7's, both had A8 issues, shudder, hard shifting, no shifting when cold. Traded both in, GM would not fix, said they could not repeat, then said it needed a module refresh and to drive 500 miles to see if fixed. They finally, after 18 mos, changed the torque converter on the first one and then dropped the whole tranny on the ground because it was not supported correctly, said they put in a new one, but it was never right, I gave up. If you have issues, GET RID OF IT. Or find a lawyer, a GM mechanic told that to me. GM knew the A8 has issues but still kept producing. Dealer one time told me I was driving incorrectly, whatever that means.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man. Crazy that you had to take such drastic measures. If this keeps up I鈥檒l be following suit. This is my first GM product in 20 years and it鈥檚 leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I literally told the dealer this could be the worst transmission I鈥檝e ever driven. He had nothing to say. Probably because he knew I was right. Thanks for your insight.

Registered
There is a Service Bulletin that covers your issue. It鈥檚 Bulletin # 18-NA-355. Covers all A8 equipped models from 2015 to 2019. If you were denied or paid for a flush you should get a refund or have it performed free.

Registered
2016 C7 Stingray Z51
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a Service Bulletin that covers your issue. It鈥檚 Bulletin # 18-NA-355. Covers all A8 equipped models from 2015 to 2019. If you were denied or paid for a flush you should get a refund or have it performed free.
Yeah, that dealer didn鈥檛 think it was enough of an issue yet. Whatever that means. That said, I鈥檒l be going to a different dealer going forward. These guys weren鈥檛 very helpful.

Registered
Yeah, that dealer didn鈥檛 think it was enough of an issue yet. Whatever that means. That said, I鈥檒l be going to a different dealer going forward. These guys weren鈥檛 very helpful.
If you can feel the shudder holding your shifter put a 2/3s full water bottle in the cup holder and record it on your phone. The turbulence in the water bottle should convince them. This is how I proved a rejected claim of unbalanced tires to my tire dealer. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts