Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn.

I owned a C4 for over 30 yrs. The C7 was the first car since then to make me actually want to sell it. My kids and wife thought I wss nuts. Most people saw that 86' Vette as an extention of my arm. I bought it when I was 20 yrs old. Killer memories.

But the C7 still looked like a Vette and had serious upgrades in performance and tech........like the C4 over a C3. And man I had the hots for a 82' collector edition!! Thats the reason my 86 was Silver beige metallic like the 82.

This Stingray is amazing. From the color to the overall design......its just an amazing car. It has manners. Im 57 and will be retiring soon. This car if you want to just chill and play some classic Blues.....the car just hums. Drives so easily. Then punch it whenyou get a chance ..........and its a BEAST!! After a rough start with the POS battery it came with, its just been incredible.

If I had to pick something.....im not a fan of the door actuator thingys. But then again i had a bad start with the dead battery and couldnt get in the car without using the key on my truck and pull on that cable.

Im getting used to it now but its strange. 8 yrs in has anybody had to get these serviced or replaced?

Fantasic car. My wife and I are planning to take it on its first road trip to St Augustine next month. ( about 250 miles round trip).

Whats amazing about this car is that it can go to the track on the weekend and be a daily driver. Easily. 馃槑

Registered
2014 Premier Edition
Congrats! Glad things settled down for ya after you "go-rounds" with the battery! What do you mean about the seats? I set my driving position and exit positions for the seat and steering wheel positions for driving and getting out and they work great. As soon as I hit the button to open the door, the seat goes to the "exit" position and when I get in and press the button, it goes right back to my set driving position.

I don't track mine but could easily. One hell of a car!

Gotta put some new shoes on mine pretty soon...

Registered
Glad you like your "new" C7! I, too, went from C4s (two ZR-1s over 25 years) to a 2016 Z06 coupe (warning: a Z06 may be your next stop!). Amazing what 30 years of technology improvements can do. And I agree that these are great touring cars, as you will soon find out. Excellent cruiser and plenty of room for luggage and things with easy access from the cabin (in the coupe) or trunk. I now have about 25,000 miles on mine and have taken three 2,500+ mile trips in it. On one, my wife even came along! Have a great first trip. --Bob

Reactions: Bullitt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats! Glad things settled down for ya after you "go-rounds" with the battery! What do you mean about the seats? I set my driving position and exit positions for the seat and steering wheel positions for driving and getting out and they work great. As soon as I hit the button to open the door, the seat goes to the "exit" position and when I get in and press the button, it goes right back to my set driving position.

I don't track mine but could easily. One hell of a car!

Gotta put some new shoes on mine pretty soon...
No problem with the seats.........No problem with anything actually. I'm just not a fan of the door push buttons to open the door from the outside. But to be fair when the battery was dead I couldn't open the door so I kind of had a bad start with them. My wife has a new GMC truck and I HATE the push button transmission too. I prefer the manual shift button for D & R. Im never tracking mine either. But its amazing that they make a track capable car and give it such decent gas mileage and manners.

I had to let my sons drive it 19 & 23 yrs old. It was scary letting them have at it but I told them to just drive normal DO NOT punch it. And it was fine but I could see their faces when the exhaust made that beautiful note....they wanted to see what it had. Forbidden fruit is the worst so we got to a straight away getting on to I95 and I said all right give it a go........and their faces were priceless. (So was mine I bet). Pulls like a beast. 馃槑

Registered
2014 Premier Edition
Yeah, for sure they'll go. AND you don't even realize how fast you're going. I hear ya about the door entry buttons but I've gotten used to 'em I guess.
Can't talk about transmission push buttons. Only had one automatic Vette and dumped it in three months. Hated it, That's why this one's my last one.... All they make now is autos. To each their own though.

Just ENJOY the hell outta it! :D

Registered
Damn.

I owned a C4 for over 30 yrs. The C7 was the first car since then to make me actually want to sell it. My kids and wife thought I wss nuts. Most people saw that 86' Vette as an extention of my arm. I bought it when I was 20 yrs old. Killer memories.

But the C7 still looked like a Vette and had serious upgrades in performance and tech........like the C4 over a C3. And man I had the hots for a 82' collector edition!! Thats the reason my 86 was Silver beige metallic like the 82.

This Stingray is amazing. From the color to the overall design......its just an amazing car. It has manners. Im 57 and will be retiring soon. This car if you want to just chill and play some classic Blues.....the car just hums. Drives so easily. Then punch it whenyou get a chance ..........and its a BEAST!! After a rough start with the POS battery it came with, its just been incredible.

If I had to pick something.....im not a fan of the door actuator thingys. But then again i had a bad start with the dead battery and couldnt get in the car without using the key on my truck and pull on that cable.

Im getting used to it now but its strange. 8 yrs in has anybody had to get these serviced or replaced?

Fantasic car. My wife and I are planning to take it on its first road trip to St Augustine next month. ( about 250 miles round trip).

Whats amazing about this car is that it can go to the track on the weekend and be a daily driver. Easily. 馃槑
Serviced or replaced the door handles? Yes. It鈥檚 very easy. Two screws, they pull straight out clean the contacts and Viola!

Registered
Damn.

We took a cruise with 5 other cars in our club, the end of last month. I drove our C7 2,856 miles, across 8 states. We were gone 9 days. These cars are fantastic on the highway, as well as the track. 馃槉

Registered
Beautiful beast........
We took a cruise with 5 other cars in our club, the end of last month. I drove our C7 2,856 miles, across 8 states. We were gone 9 days. These cars are fantastic on the highway, as well as the track. 馃槉
Owned my Limerock 3LT coupe since 鈥14 and with 19K miles it鈥檚 a head turner. Never been in rain, AZ vehicle and at 75 y o I dust it everyday. Lots of Happy Motoring to you!

Registered
No problems with the doors. IMHO, similarly related, is the 1fuel tank lock/actuator. There are recurring posts here regarding that failing. You may want to research that. Some, including myself, have chosen a proactive response in an effort to not get stranded by the failure. Back to the doors, I agree that mine makes a lot noise and much ado about nothing when opening the door. Again, IMHO.

Registered
Best thing to do is drive it. '16 C7 is our daily driver and is very reliable. It has gone from home in SF bay area to Maine...twice. Only has 77k miles on it.
Just be aware if that traction control button and use it wisely.
I have had a problem with the auto lock on the fuel door. It stayed locked. I found how to get it open and then defeat the plunger which didn't work any longer. Easier to defeat than to re-install a new unit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That fuel door never occurred to me. No issues........but imagine being 100 miles from home and you cant get gas? I'll have to look into a solution for sure.

This weekend I got a few days off. I bought a new K&N air filter and just watched a video on how to change it. Plan on detailing the engine after that. I actually day dream about the car while at work. Going to be fun when I retire!!

Administrator
That fuel door never occurred to me. No issues........but imagine being 100 miles from home and you cant get gas? I'll have to look into a solution for sure.

This weekend I got a few days off. I bought a new K&N air filter and just watched a video on how to change it. Plan on detailing the engine after that. I actually day dream about the car while at work. Going to be fun when I retire!!
Take care to be sure and not over oil the K&N filter. If you do it will easily foul the sensor in the air intake system and through a code. As for a solution to the potential of the gas tank door solenoid failing, while I never had it happen on my C7 (nor my Caddy XTS which has the exact same system and my BMW which has a similar system), I prefer the gas filler door locks when I am not around. Perhaps a bit old school, but I remember high jinks of kids putting sugar in a filler tube for "fun." With our capless filler tube, to me it is just an easy and open invitation. So my solution is to leave RedHot's locking filler door fully functional, and carry a plastic trim mini pry-bar in the car (as I did in my XTS and do in my BMW) to use in the rare event that the actuator fails while I am on the road.

What you are wanting to do, is use the trim tool to get the door out enough to allow you to slide the actual door cover off of its bracket (be sure to have a micro fiber towel under the edge that faces the the back of the C7 so that you don't scratch your body while pushing the door off its bracket). It is pretty easy to do this. However, I suggest you practice it a couple of times in your garage before you ever have to do it on the road, so you know what it feels like. :cool:

Registered
No problems with the doors. IMHO, similarly related, is the 1fuel tank lock/actuator. There are recurring posts here regarding that failing. You may want to research that. Some, including myself, have chosen a proactive response in an effort to not get stranded by the failure. Back to the doors, I agree that mine makes a lot noise and much ado about nothing when opening the door. Again, IMHO.
I agree with this. The fuel door actuator failure is not too common, but if it does happen, it is quite problematic if you need gas.As Jeff notes, you can remove the fuel filler door, but it is not something I wanted to do. I took the proactive step of inserting a small scrivet in the hole where the actuator plunger goes, a twenty cents fix. Use the search function to read about the fuel door issue and solutions. I can still hear the actuator trying to work when I lock or unlock, so I know mine at least hasn't failed yet. But I'm more comfortable with the scrivet solution. Enjoy your car. here are a couple pix from Jerry U's post about this. --Bob

Guitar accessory Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Musical instrument accessory
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Auto part Gas Circle Fashion accessory Plastic

Reactions: DrLove38

Registered
Fun note....(Thread HiJack)

After I had done my fix to my fuel door (it would be unlocked) I was on a long trip.
While driving in South Dakota I showed off a little and was caught by SD highway patrol. Guilty...I'll admit. But the cop walked up and touched my car...finger print evidence, just in case. After the paper work (yeah a ticket) he said, "do you know your filler door is open?" I asked if he could just push it closed...he did, and it latched.
I wanted to say..."Its open because YOU opened it.", but thought better than to aggravate such a situation.

Hi jack over....;)

Registered
Damn.

Yes, I understand. I sold my 2007 C6 after a medical issue and advice from my Dr's to get something more "appropriate" for my kind of people" (quotes are what I heard, but necessarily what they said, but..) So I bought a Mazda. I love Mazdas - our family has owned something like 12 over the years...

After 6 months of recovery and improving health, I decided, "well if I'm gonna' die in several more years, I'd rather the neighborhood kids remember me as "that cool old guy who had those Corvettes and brought home those Ferraris and Porsches he had and gave us rides...

I missed my C6, but found a C7 at a good price and bought it. To the point though. The C7 is an amzing car and still has that Corvette "look" but compared to my C6, it has too many (doo-dads) too much power and it's difficult to enter and egress. I sometimes have images of those armored knight of old, being "hoisted" aboard their chargers by block and tackle.

But yes, I agree. Compared to a C4 and the things you plan to do with the C7, go for it. Great car!

Registered
2014 Premier Edition
Last901,

68 here with VERY bad back/neck (broken a few too many times), circulation issues, etc I have NO issues getting into or out of my C7 at all. It's all in the technique. ;) Love my C7. My 5th, and last Vette. C8's only come in auto. NFW on this planet that I want an auto. To each their own though, that's just me.

Registered
No argument here, Steve. My issues are more related to legs and vision.. Oh, and trying not to scrape my ample a** across the seat bolster (Mi C7 is a 2LT and appears to have "real" stitching on the leather. Even so, compared to my C6, the "cockpit" is just that and requires some bending and falling-into the seat. No real problem. Just a comparison to my old car.

My C6 was a manual and I liked it. I bought this car (C7) used and it came with the Automatic, which does have it's advantages in Seattle traffic. I rarely need the Paddle Shifters except the demonstrate them to my friends (mostly the neighbor kids) In fact, I have yet to spend any serious time with the track settings and other features. I do like the HUD though. Okay, okay, I confess I discovered that the exhaust sounds "throatier" even while cruising the retirement home parking lot. Oh, I do like the "paddle shifters" for changing radion stations as I toggle back and forth between NPR and Blues Music.
I've convinced that my next car will not be a Corvette (or another Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Austin Healy or MG.

Hopefully it will not be an ambulance or a Hearse. 馃檹

Registered
Boy we sure all have lots of ailments! Me, too, but still using the C7 Z06 as my daily driver in the summer with the BMW 5 series up on the lift. A bit more difficult to get in and out of (well, out) these days (76 now) but from the driver's side I am OK with the steering wheel to help to push against. From the passenger side it is a bit more difficult but still manageable (I sometimes let a friend drive). Yesterday I took a friend with some Parkinson's to lunch and while he got in OK (gravity) I had to come around and help him out. He still liked going in the Corvette. Hope I can keep going a few more years. --Bob

Reactions: stevec
1 - 20 of 23 Posts