Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest... When are you getting the first oil change in regards to miles?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good question. I'm at 400 miles and have seen a few conflicting numbers. The dealer said to wait until the indicator said its down to 10% oil life, but I'm not waiting that long.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
As the title suggest... When are you getting the first oil change in regards to miles?
I'll be doing my first change this weekend, when I pass through 500 miles.

I'll change it myself, using Penzoil Platinum ( Pennzoil ) 5W-30 full-synthetic natural gas-based oil (Dexos 1 spec) and a FRAM XG10575 filter.

I already installed a FilterMag SS300 ( Filtermag and SummitRacing ) on the factory filter the day I drove home from the dealership. The FilterMag will last the life of the vehicle, and I'll transfer it to the new FRAM filter.

I'll also be installing a magnetic drain plug (overkill, I know).

I'm looking forward to putting the C7 on the lift, and giving her a complete inspection as I drain the oil! :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm on the fence about when to do the first oil change. The hobbyist in me says to do it when I get it home, it will have between 600-800 miles on it. The engineer in me says wait till the first prescribed change interval. The hobbyist will probably win out :)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I did it at 1200 miles. Had them check the air filter and differential levels. All good, all free, no regrets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did it at 1200 miles. Had them check the air filter and differential levels. All good, all free, no regrets.
The dealer didn't give you any trouble going in way before prescribed interval?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had mine done at 880 miles at the dealer. I asked for Mobil 1 and they agreed however they did charge for the upgrade.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I know it is free so I should get one at beginning of driving season and put away with one. I wondered if the dealer would give me trouble but I geuss GM is paying or I guess me in the total purchased price.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Service manager said 500 miles. Going in Monday.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I know it is free so I should get one at beginning of driving season and put away with one. I wondered if the dealer would give me trouble but I geuss GM is paying or I guess me in the total purchased price.
No issues from the dealer, and I did not buy the StingRay from the dealer who changed the oil. In fact, they were excited to work on it. When I went in to set up the appointment, I said can you change the oil on my StingRay and the Service Manager said: "Oh, the green one in town? We all know about that car. Sure! I will assign the foreman to that car."

Reactions: Sciros

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
It really depends on the dealer. Some will only do it when the oil life indicator is down to a certain % (and that is what is covered under the 2 year 'free' maintenance with our Stingrays) while others as some members have found, will do it when you ask independent of the oil life indicator. I had RedHot's done at 2500 miles (essentially after I brought her back from the NCM delivery) and my next one will be by the oil life indicator. :cool:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had mine done at 880 miles at the dealer. I asked for Mobil 1 and they agreed however they did charge for the upgrade.
There was a change to Mobil 1 recently in the production line to be the new standard so I would think the dealer should have done it for you at no extra charge?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There was a change to Mobil 1 recently in the production line to be the new standard so I would think the dealer should have done it for you at no extra charge?
I am asking about that later today when I get back from business travel.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Picked up my car on the 22nd of May and built on 8 May. Oil cap still says DEXOS. Vin is 24914.
DEXOS is a rating, not an oil, cap won't change...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I usually change oil in my cars at 5000 miles, a bit sooner than the factory interval.
Oils today are far superior than what we had 15-20 years ago.

Regardless of when you decide to change oil I recommend you fill the filter with oil before installing it, this eliminates the 1-2 seconds
of delay of oil pressure when you first start the engine. The LT1 filter installs straight up so it's easy to do with no spills.

Reactions: 2ndvette

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
DEXOS is a rating, not an oil, cap won't change...
Agreed but if they made a running change in production to a Mobil 1 factory fill there should be a sticker in the engine compartment. With that sticker I imagine you could push the dealer to do Mobil 1 instead of the 55 gallon drum dexos1 they use in all the other cars/trucks ;)

I'll report back next week when I get mine....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Though I thew it away and can't take a picture of it, shortly after I drove my StingRay home I found a white plastic cap laying on top of one of the compartments under the hood. I don't know if this was a cap from ?, though I know that it wasn't something that I left under the hood. This was the very first time that I opened the hood and fortunately, I removed it before it bounced around and got into belts, etc. No harm, but it seemed weird.

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51
122 Posts
Hey Steve... didn't catch when that oil change on the production line occurred. Do you know off hand? I use Mobil 1 in both my vehicles now (I swear by it) and was planning on changing out the oil when the Vette was delivered. I may not have to according to your statement. Thanks...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts