Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading multiple posts here and there from glen e (mostly) and some other people. I bought a bunch of things to keep my C7 clean once it's been coated. Since the coating is being delayed by some paint chip that needs fixing, I've put all the stuff I bought to use on my wife's SUV. It did a pretty good job overall, although the bonnet and front bumper were still a bit dirty and the korean microfiber weave towel was leaving some yellow fluff behind. Sonax wheel cleaner full effect did a pretty good job on the wheels, although they weren't overly dirty.

Any recommendation to remove that dirt? I presoaked the car with the duragloss rinseless wash using a garden spray and used soaked towels (light pressure).

Next thing I need to buy is Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing. I see they have a Leather stuff product. Should I get this for the seats or will the Natural Look Dressing product do the whole interior?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Dont overthink this .....natural look on the whole interior..,,

No idea why dirt is still on your car after rinseless, what was your procedure? The suv should have used about 6-8 towels......i realize how this sounds, but rinseless is for use with clean cars as a maintenance wash, not a truly dirty car with road grime and embedded dirt.

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
You should wash your microfiber towels in the washing machine a couple of times before using them to remove the "yellow fluff."

Reactions: Florent and glen e

·
Registered
341 Posts
After more than 50 years of being a "car guy", I have probably bought enough car care products to fill a small warehouse. Somebody is always telling me about about the new and exciting "perfect" product. If it looks good I often try it. Sometimes it works for me, but mostly not. Occasionally something comes along that is truly great and I use it. Often the stuff that I started using years ago, works best for me. It is good to get advice but be prepared to sample a lot of products as you go along and find what works best for you.

Reactions: Florent

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont overthink this .....natural look on the whole interior..,,

No idea why dirt is still on your car after rinseless, what was your procedure? The suv should have used about 6-8 towels......i realize how this sounds, but rinseless is for use with clean cars as a maintenance wash, not a truly dirty car with road grime and embedded dirt.
I used a garden sprayer to spray the car with the rinseless wash, left it on for a few minutes and proceeded to used the soaked MF towels. I used 6 I think. The SUV wasn't overly dirty (no mud or anything like that). I guess the front needs a bit more elbow grease since I don't clean it weekly (far from it). It's just unclear what's "safe" to use for when rinseless just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should wash your microfiber towels in the washing machine a couple of times before using them to remove the "yellow fluff."
Yeah, I figured that was it. They've all been washed now. No fabric softener obviously :)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
. It's just unclear what's "safe" to use for when rinseless just doesn't cut it.
Do a conventional wash with a good car shampoo, if dirt does not come off, then clay the car and start over, you will need to strip the wax.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any recommendation for the shampoo or the sponges/brushes?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,558 Posts
As previously stated, don't over think the process. If you drive your vehicle, anywhere, you are going to get dirt, in many forms. We all know this. I too over the years have used "miracle" coatings that keeps dirt from sticking to a minimum. In my opinion, they don't work to the extent of the claim. Most of the dirt I have cleaned off the car in dry weather is just road dust and the rubber dust on the bottom half, and the pad dust on the wheels.

I don't even use soap anymore, with today's space age finishes on these cars, it's really easy just to wipe off.

My process is just three buckets of clean water, but using one bucket, discard and refill.

First bucket, top side, windows, one wet MF rag to clean, one dry one to wipe dry.
Second bucket, sides, front and rear, using another group of rags.
Third bucket, wheels, and another set of rags just for them. And the finish looks as good as new.

Now if I run through a muddy dirt road, of course the hose comes out.

Throw some detail stuff on the finish, I'm done. Clean the windows with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and white vinegar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm trying to collect info so I don't have to overthink it! :)

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Well i will respectfully disagree norm, the paints these days are just base and clear, and there not much "space age" about that. If its a garage car, you certainly get away with clear water sectionalizing like you do, but you need some type of soap /detergent to cut the oils and grime picked up if its a daily driver. Rinseless is nothing more than a type of soap that amps up the lubricity and lowers the suds , letting you clean and wipe, and not scratch. Give it a try, i'm 64 and have been thru all the miracle products too ,and rinseless, from all the mfrs , is a gamechanger for maintaining clean cars. Just peruse the detailing sites and see the comments.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,558 Posts
Well i will respectfully disagree norm, the paints these days are just base and clear, and there not much "space age" about that. If its a garage car, you certainly get away with clear water sectionalizing like you do, but you need some type of soap /detergent to cut the oils and grime picked up if its a daily driver. Rinseless is nothing more than a type of soap that amps up the lubricity and lowers the suds , letting you clean and wipe, and not scratch. Give it a try, i'm 64 and have been thru all the miracle products too ,and rinseless, from all the mfrs , is a gamechanger for maintaining clean cars. Just peruse the detailing sites and see the comments.
Hey glen, what I mean by "space age" is that the finishes are a darn sight easier to clean than the old lacquers and enamels of years ago. Just seems like a tougher finish to me, with much less of the "angel hair" scratching of before. And a once a year buffing with Manserna 450 does wonders. At almost 7000 miles since May, I will average 10-12K a year, a daily driver for me. When I sold my '10 GS that I had for over 4 years, 57K, I cleaned that car the way I described previously, and the finish looked as good as it did the day I bought it without using any coatings except the detailing shines (Griots, Adams, McGuires, et al).

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I get that norm, and remember seeing your polisher and the menzerna. I polish with sf4500 and a hybrid pad too, keeping the finish mirror perfect is just beyond what most people will do here..: thats your "deep clean" that works well. Most will need a soap instead of that. We all get to gloss and depth of reflection diff ways. Whiz bang coatings have nothing to go with proper cleaning.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used a garden sprayer to spray the car with the rinseless wash, left it on for a few minutes and proceeded to used the soaked MF towels. I used 6 I think. The SUV wasn't overly dirty (no mud or anything like that). I guess the front needs a bit more elbow grease since I don't clean it weekly (far from it). It's just unclear what's "safe" to use for when rinseless just doesn't cut it.
Were these soaked in a bucket full of rinseless wash solution or just sprayed to saturate?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a quick question for the rinseless wash lovers out there.

I just completed Glen's method for the first time and now I have about 8 dirty microfiber and waffle weave towels including two that I used on the wheels. Do you usually put the microfiber towels that you use on the wheels in a separate wash (and separate them) or do you find that all of the dirt comes out in a regular cycle. I know this probably falls in the common sense category but I apologize in advance for not having any. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Awesome. Thanks Glen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts