Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to StingRayForums' member "ZeeshanFarooq29" for finding this video, we have our first view of what a Stage 2 Z06 will look like. Great video find, though while many of us like its massive rear deck spoiler, clearly their will be some detractors later. However, with the Stage 2 generating 400% more downforce than a Stage 1 Z06, that downforce has got to come from some major aero components.

Thanks to "maxxtruck9906" for taking the video and posting it for all of us to see.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks to StingRayForums' member "ZeeshanFarooq29" for finding this video, we have our first view of what a Stage 2 Z06 will look like. Great video find, though while many of us like its massive rear deck spoiler, clearly their will be some detractors later. However, with the Stage 2 generating 400% more downforce than a Stage 1 Z06, that downforce has got to come from some major aero components.

Thanks to "maxxtruck9906" for taking the video and posting it for all of us to see.
I'm so dawg-gone excited, I can't see straight. Keep watching the video over and over again. Wish it had sound..

·
Registered
398 Posts
Curious what STAGE 2 cooling ducts will end up looking like. I was under the impression that Stage 1 and 2 would have the narrow vertical vents in the rear, while the Stage 3 would have wider vertical vents. I guess its still up for change until the testing is complete. Also wondering if the Stage 2 will have the scoop extension on the cooling intakes for transmission and diff. Only time will tell. I only mention because I want Stage 2 with the wider vertical vents and the scoop extension on the intake. Guess we'll know for sure in 5 months. Watched the video a few times and reached this conclusion: This Z06 has the Stage 2 Aero package, the more efficient cooling scoops at the intake for tranny and diff, and the wider vertical vents in the rear. I could be wrong, as its hard to see clearly in this video. Sure hope this is the Stage 2 we get. I'm aware how engineers design. (Mechanical Eng background). If a design is adequate, no need to over design for economical reasons. In ALL cases, a minimum requirement, meets requirements. If the minimum requirement wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum. Having said all of that, a little extra cooling capacity sure would be welcome in this powerful beast, even if engineers ascertain that a Stage 2 might not require the cooling requirements of a full blown Stage 3 Racer.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
CHeckk6, Based on an earlier camo picture, the stage 2 comes with both the focused fender air intake with a "curved aero blade," and also comes with the wider rear, fascia-corner vertical vents, as in:

Both aero components further verified in post # 3 above, second and third pictures from the top.

However, if, as we saw about ten days ago, that as the state 1 they were testing at Tail of the Dragon had a coupe top-of-fender grille with the added curved aero blade -- which forces 50% more air into the rear heat exchangers at 45 MPH, that additional air has also got to escape or it will, like on a C6, cause rear end lift. Hence, quite possible that all three stages will have the wider rear fascia-corner vertical grills.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the insight and pic Elegant. I hope you are right. And I think you are. If so I will be extremely happy. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that for the sake of expediting testing of the three aero packages, the testers might have taken a Z07 package and just changed the front splitter for down force testing... I can only hope that Stage 1 and Stage 2 complete cars are being tested to get more accurate data. If that be the case, we will be winners. So looking forward to seeing the final versions in painted form with correct vents, splitters and side skirts. The Black Beauty in the video may very well be the first Stage 2 finished product. What a great find!! Thanks to the alert camera operator for capturing some amazing video of a gorgeous car. And thanks to "ZeeshanFarooq29" for finding it. Its starting to get real exciting!!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Also keep in mind that add ons are easy but actual design changes like to body panels means 2 designs and 2 different parts which is not also cost efficient.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We heard from Tadge Juechter that as a result of the snow finally disappearing from their Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan, and the consequent testing they were now able to do, that they had already learned that all three stages need additional rear end downforce. Consequently, the chances that previously-shown, rear aero components getting smaller, let alone being removed entirely, is not going to happen. As he said, referring to the deck spoilers on all stages, they are going to need to grow to give us this additional required downforce, but how much or how little is what is being testing now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Must have!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
We heard from Tadge Juechter that as a result of the snow finally disappearing from their Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan, and the consequent testing they were now able to do, that they had already learned that all three stages need additional rear end downforce. Consequently, the chances that previously-shown, rear aero components getting smaller, let alone being removed entirely, is not going to happen. As he said, referring to the deck spoilers on all stages, they are going to need to grow to give us this additional required downforce, but how much or how little is what is being testing now.

I wonder....... just how much down force do I need to drive to work? :cool:

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder....... just how much down force do I need to drive to work? :cool:
As you know, not one pound of downforce needed for 99% of the driving we do, and, as you also know, the more downforce, the worse the mileage due to drag. Tadge stated that whereas the stage 1 would have an approximate .35 coefficient of drag, a stage 2 will have a .36 CD, and a stage 3/Z07 will have a .37 CD. In comparison, a regular StingRay has a .29 CD, and the Z-51 a .31 CD.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
As you know, not one pound of downforce needed for 99% of the driving we do, and, as you also know, the more downforce, the worse the mileage due to drag. Tadge stated that whereas the stage 1 would have an approximate .35 coefficient of drag, a stage 2 will have a .36 CD, and a stage 3/Z07 will have a .37 CD. In comparison, a regular StingRay has a .29 CD, and the Z-51 a .31 CD.
The way I figure it, we might just thank Tadge for that extra downforce that 1% of the time. Anyone ever find themselves in a situation (Speed) where the car feels like it is beginning to float around and feel unstable? It's the downforce created by the splitters and spoilers that help stabilize the car at speed. Not saying I make a habit of such activities mind you, but I have experienced the sensation from time to time, which is a real attention getter...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Absolutely love the fat fenders and bulging rear wheel wells for the extra wide meats in the rear. That was one of the things I liked about the Porsche for years. Can't wait!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts