Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the some noise upon harsh acceleration that sounds like it may be the same. 2015 coupe 7speed built 6-8-2015. Now has 12,600 miles. I just felt it was inherent in the drive line upon harder acceleration.
Now that I hear your comments, I wonder if all models have this noise? My thought is that it sounds like something is rubbing somewhere in the drive line. Maybe a trip to the dealership is in order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all. Just bought used 2019 1LT, 14,000 mi. Only 4 hours behind the wheel and am hearing an intermittent flapping noise also. I haven’t checked with local dealer for service bulletins related to this noise. Crawling under the car I notice the upper part of the rear shocks have a loose fitting rubber boot. Could this be the source of flapping noise ? Thanks for any additional ideas.

·
Administrator
15,662 Posts
Welcome to our forum V#2 and congrats on your C7. Suggest you have a passenger do a video/audio recording of the noise and take that to your dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2015 Corvette stingray 15,300 miles on it and have had a similar problem. I know this will really sound crazy but the sound seem to come from the dashboard or somewhere in the front of the car-always when I was accelerating. It just started one day and I could not figure what it was. When my satellite radio subscription ran out in October I didn’t renew it and on my next drive the sound was 95% gone. And the 5% you can hardly hear at all. The sound has not come back! I believe that something was syncing with satellite radio transmission causing a sympathetic vibration .....whatever.....But my story is true! When I get my car out of storage next spring I’ll do some more testing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2015 Corvette stingray 15,300 miles on it and have had a similar problem. I know this will really sound crazy but the sound seem to come from the dashboard or somewhere in the front of the car-always when I was accelerating. It just started one day and I could not figure what it was. When my satellite radio subscription ran out in October I didn’t renew it and on my next drive the sound was 95% gone. And the 5% you can hardly hear at all. The sound has not come back! I believe that something was syncing with satellite radio transmission causing a sympathetic vibration .....whatever.....But my story is true! When I get my car out of storage next spring I’ll do some more testing.
Hi all. Just bought used 2019 1LT, 14,000 mi. Only 4 hours behind the wheel and am hearing an intermittent flapping noise also. I haven’t checked with local dealer for service bulletins related to this noise. Crawling under the car I notice the upper part of the rear shocks have a loose fitting rubber boot. Could this be the source of flapping noise ? Thanks for any additional ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I called a local dealer here in NC and there were no service bulletins for flapping noise problems. Being a new car under “bumper to bumper” I made an apt. for checking it out. The diagnosis is that the noise is a normal engine noise caused by the automatic fuel management system going from V8 to V4. Told not to worry. Good idea to get it in the books in case something goes poop in the future. I noticed the display now looks a little different with an icon showing V8 when I got home. Perhaps the technician used the display to help troubleshooting. Will keep an eye on that item to see if it changes as driving. I am still learning about all the system controls/display. Hope this helps others, it gave me some peace of mind, for now.

·
Administrator
15,662 Posts
I called a local dealer here in NC and there were no service bulletins for flapping noise problems. Being a new car under “bumper to bumper” I made an apt. for checking it out. The diagnosis is that the noise is a normal engine noise caused by the automatic fuel management system going from V8 to V4. Told not to worry. Good idea to get it in the books in case something goes poop in the future. I noticed the display now looks a little different with an icon showing V8 when I got home. Perhaps the technician used the display to help troubleshooting. Will keep an eye on that item to see if it changes as driving. I am still learning about all the system controls/display. Hope this helps others, it gave me some peace of mind, for now.
The display changes from V8 to V4 and back to V8 depending on whether you are placing 'demand' on the engine. If you are cruising at a steady speed, it will drop into V4, as soon as you step on the gas, or the Vette is on an incline, it will switch back to V8. However, it isn't typically accompanied by a 'flapping' sound. It can be accompanied by a slight tug on the transmission as it changes from V8 to V4 and back, and if you have the performance exhaust, it will also change the valves at the rear and the exhaust sound. Often, it pays to have a passenger video tape what you are experiencing so that you can share it with the dealer and/or put it up here for possible responses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry for the thread mess, I’m new to this forum experience. A tech took my car for a test ride on a 4 lane highway (without me) and I’m hoping he heard the fluttering noise. Hence his report. I have read about a plug-in device “Ranger” that will defeat the active fuel management system so the car stays in V8 mode, without fouling up computer system. Afterward just unplug it until the next ride. Anyone have experience with these gadgets ? I guess this would eliminate the flap/fluttering noise.

·
Administrator
15,662 Posts
Sorry for the thread mess, I’m new to this forum experience. A tech took my car for a test ride on a 4 lane highway (without me) and I’m hoping he heard the fluttering noise. Hence his report. I have read about a plug-in device “Ranger” that will defeat the active fuel management system so the car stays in V8 mode, without fouling up computer system. Afterward just unplug it until the next ride. Anyone have experience with these gadgets ? I guess this would eliminate the flap/fluttering noise.
There are a number of members who use the RANGE AFM DISABLER DEVICE and are happy with it. Use the search function to find related threads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m not convinced that the Active Fuel Management system is the noise maker now. Saturday went for a ride ~ 2 hrs. And the display showed V8 with steady acceleration which produced flapping/fluttering noise, intermittently, and then on a smooth highway with cruise control set @ 55 mph heard the noise not as loud but now the tempo turned it into a flutter in steady V4 mode. Could this be a failing exhaust valve with the muffler tone system ? I will schedule another dealer visit after the holidays, perhaps with a different dealer. Maybe wife could try to record noise with her cell phone ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven’t mentioned the noise is coming from the area behind the driver’s seat, like from the left rear wheel well area.

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
I haven’t mentioned the noise is coming from the area behind the driver’s seat, like from the left rear wheel well area.
On a non Z51 Stingray, the air vent is fake on the driver's side rear 1/4 panel. It could be causing the noise.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts