Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning RedHot had a bit of a hissy-fit and decided not to recognize my key FOB. I replaced the battery and it still refused to allow me to unlock her. I tried my wife's FOB, same outcome. I unlocked her via the mechanical key in the trunk slot, pulled the door release all amid the persistent alarm sounding. Inserted the key FOB into the steering column slot and it took two attempts to fire up. The first time it simply did nothing. Upon firing up, Missing FOB message briefly appeared. Went off to weekly Car Enthusiast Breakfast, with the key FOB still in the steering column slot, took a longer than normal drive to hopefully allow time for the FOB to sync, and went to shut it down at breakfast. First time, it again said No FOB recognized and did not shut down. Second time it did allow me to shut down.

On return after breakfast, RedHot again refused normal access. So back to the trunk, etc., and same as before, took twice to recognize the FOB enough to allow me to start.

The battery in the car, by the way, is at proper charge. And coincidentally I received the OnStar monthly status report while driving to breakfast, and it said everything was AOK. Also, I came back and loaded the OnStar app on my phone (I had deleted it since I never used it in the last few years), and it is able to lock and unlock RedHot even though the FOBs can not.

It is as if the receiver that recognizes the FOBs has taken a vacation or had its software scrambled. The steering column slot did not result in a fix either extended drive time.

She goes into the dealer Friday to see what is what. Not going to fuss with it any further, she is under warranty for just such a situation. My guess is they will initially try to reprogram both FOBs, and when and if that doesn't work, order a replacement receiver. But we will see.:numbness:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Jeff. Electronic gremlins are a PITA. Hopefully it will be a quick fix.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 'PAUL.' Actually, now that I discovered the phone app will allow me to enter without using the physical key, trunk access, door pull release and setting off the alarm, it is only a slight hindrance. Since my dealer indicated he had not heard of this before (and he is very experienced in C7s), my guess is it might not be a quick fix.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Jeff, that is a new one for the SRF books, both fobs are out of sync unusual. My battery went south a week ago and Renee's battery went south last night. New batteries, I'm good for another three years of wheeling the ole C7 masterpiece around. Hope that you get your situation squared away ASAP, so you can get back to your cars and coffee runs.

SF
Rick

Reactions: jsvette

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Sorry about your FOB problem. Hope it's an easy fix.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
914 Posts
You have an interesting dilemma. If your experienced dealer has never heard about this particular problem ... it will be interesting to see what pans out. At least you were able to find a work around to get the beast going. Looking forward to a progress report.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I will certain post what is found and the resolution.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mine did the same thing couple of times, I replaced the battery in both key fobs after the 1st time but then it happen again, but after the 2nd time it has not happened again.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine did the same think couple of times, I replaced the battery in both key fobs after the 1st time but then it happen again, but after the 2nd time it has not happened again.
Interesting. I am going to wait and see what their diagnosis is before trying that. But thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The easy solution is to have the two fobs reinstalled as fob 3 and 4. My wife washed and dried a fob. Rather than program the new one back into the fob 1 position, it was easier to make the new one fob 3. I believe there are 8 fobs that can be installed.

That was Chevy's solution.

fltsfshr

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My battery went south a week ago and Renee's battery went south last night. New batteries, I'm good for another three years of wheeling the ole C7 masterpiece around.
Both our fob batteries also went south last week (2014 C7). Others have recently reported this also so it seems three years is what to expect with the C7 fob battery.

My wife insists on using Duracell batteries as she read some consumer info that indicated they last the longest. I also note they are the most expensive 2032 battery at the store. Since you generally get what you pay for maybe they are better. I noted the battery that came out of the fob was a Panasonic. I didn't even know they made batteries.

Its curious Jeff's issue occurred about the time you would expect to replace a fob battery.

Jeff: I assume the 2032 batteries you used to replace were new and haven't been sitting around for a long time.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both our fob batteries also went south last week (2014 C7). Others have recently reported this also so it seems three years is what to expect with the C7 fob battery.

My wife insists on using Duracell batteries as she read some consumer info that indicated they last the longest. I also note they are the most expensive 2032 battery at the store. Since you generally get what you pay for maybe they are better. I noted the battery that came out of the fob was a Panasonic. I didn't even know they made batteries.

Its curious Jeff's issue occurred about the time you would expect to replace a fob battery.

Jeff: I assume the batteries you used to replace were new and haven't been sitting around for a long time.
RedHot is 3 1/3 years old. The replacement battery was a new Sony with 2024 date.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
RedHot is 3 1/3 years old. The replacement battery was a new Sony with 2024 date.
OK. Just checked the expiration date for a 2032 we got yesterday and its 2026. I don't know if that means your Sony was two years older or what. Either way considering Smajicek's experience in post 9, I'd try another new battery before I'd take it in just to make sure its not something as simple as a bad battery.

Just to add some additional content here...My car wasn't locked when I ran into this issue last week. I wasn't sure if it was the fob battery cause it did end up starting after I moved the fob from my pocket to a cup holder. It also took a coupla attempts to start. I immediately tried my wife's fob and had the same problem.

That surprised me since that fob has been used far less than mine and it seemed like quite a coincidence that both fobs failed practically simultaneously. I was thinking maybe it did have something to do with the receiver in the car and that concerned me since my warranty is up soon.

However, after getting and installing new batteries in both fobs, everything works normally.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I went with Energizers, which have a 240 mAh nominal rating.
The 2032 Energizers were much cheaper than the Duracells when we looked at them yesterday. She just told me the Energizers she used in her camera would deplete much quicker than the Duracells.

We also prefer to pay the highest price for things when we comparison shop.:uncomfortableness:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Hmmm sounds like the 3.5 year gremlin is attacking. Need to get replace,net batteries for when this happens. Ours is just pushing two years old.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
These machines are one of the most sophisticated vehicles built to date bar none electronically speaking. As they age this will become more and more problematic that is a known fact. I am treating mine like its German garage mates. 5 years maybe 4 then it will be someone else's issue to deal with. The electronic demons are the most difficult to deal with especially when it is intermittent.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Reactions: Mobius

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solution found! It turned out that I had a number of bad new batteries. :sour: Went out this morning and purchased a 4 pack of Energizers and installed in both C7 FOBS and XTS FOBS. Everything is now working as it should. Whaahoo :cool: Ready to roar once more :) Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and concern. :eek:nthego:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts