Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
767 Posts
It was the factory maintainer that came from dealer with purchase and worked fine over the previous winter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My buddy has a 2015 Z06 in which he had his battery tender on over the winter. However, he went to start it and it would not start or could not jump it either so he removed and took it to O'Reilly's and they said the battery was toast and cells dead.

He couldn't get it to dealer because it wouldn't start and would need to be towed. He figure it is covered on warranty but the dealer said first he would need to bring car to dealer and they would have to run test for a few hours to determine next steps. Well he didn't want to have his side skirts damaged on a tow, so he went to dealer and bought a battery to drive the car to dealer with old ruined battery.

After installing new battery, he is excited and grab key fob and it doesn't work, he does the manual latch pull to even open door but could not start car and only the window would work and they only work sporadically. It seems that the with these cars being one big computer that lost all power, all the programming with the fob and engine start etc has been erased.

Sorry for the long note but I wanted to clearly explain what was going on and looking for recommendations or will the car need to be towed to the dealer and be reprogrammed?
I still think that the fob has NOT become unprogrammed. If the windows work, then something else is going on, because the car recognizes the fob. Did your friend try starting the car with the fob in the steering column slot?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The easy solution is to have the two fobs reinstalled as fob 3 and 4. My wife washed and dried a fob. Rather than program the new one back into the fob 1 position, it was easier to make the new one fob 3. I believe there are 8 fobs that can be installed.

That was Chevy's solution.

fltsfshr
Well, I did the same thing. Ran the fob (in my pants pocket) through the washer and dryer. After it came out, it didn't work. Then I replaced the battery and the FOB worked just fine. I can lock and unlock the car, lower the convertible top, use the alarm etc. Except... when I try to start the car, it says "No remote detected". At first I thought that perhaps the remote lost its programming, but that does not make sense as I would not be able to lock and unlock the doors with the remote. In short, everything works except the starting of the car. When I put the fob in the slot on the steering column, the car starts just fine. Again, that means that the fob is programmed. Do you have any suggestions/comments? (other than telling I was dumb to wash the fob).

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,465 Posts
Stupid question from me, did you try the other FOB? Does that work?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,465 Posts
Maybe the part in the FOB that sends out the "recognizing" info was permanently damaged......?

·
Administrator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, I did the same thing. Ran the fob (in my pants pocket) through the washer and dryer. After it came out, it didn't work. Then I replaced the battery and the FOB worked just fine. I can lock and unlock the car, lower the convertible top, use the alarm etc. Except... when I try to start the car, it says "No remote detected". At first I thought that perhaps the remote lost its programming, but that does not make sense as I would not be able to lock and unlock the doors with the remote. In short, everything works except the starting of the car. When I put the fob in the slot on the steering column, the car starts just fine. Again, that means that the fob is programmed. Do you have any suggestions/comments? (other than telling I was dumb to wash the fob).
Try putting the FOB in the slot in the steering column.

·
Administrator
16,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
He did that, it worked.
Correct, actually, I meant to say put it in the column and drive around with it for a while to see it that resolved the issue vs just putting it in there to get it to start.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe the part in the FOB that sends out the "recognizing" info was permanently damaged......?
Wow! Believe it or not, the remote started working! Right when I was ready to order a replacement on line! I let it sit in the column for a little while (no driving), then I used my second key fob to open and lock the doors (with the defective key fob out of the way, out of reach of the car) and then I retried the defective key fob again and voila... the car started without any problems. I could not understand why the car would recognize the key fob and do everything except to start the car. (I still don't understand that part). It is almost as if it needed to reset itself or something. Who knows? Electronics...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
^^^ Good job Jeff!

Reactions: jsvette
41 - 51 of 51 Posts