Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM has been know to give us hints for decades of upcoming product, starting with the rear of the '61 and the '62.

Might the following pictures from the Gran Turismo SEMA car be foreshadowing the upcoming Z?

Rear diffuser, exhaust tips?

Rear fender intake grill?

"D" shaped Steering wheel?

Carbon fiber steering wheel trim piece?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
GM has been know to give us hints for decades of upcoming product, starting with the rear of the '61 and the '62.

Might the following pictures from the Gran Turismo SEMA car be foreshadowing the upcoming Z?

Rear diffuser, exhaust tips?

To my eye this is the way it should have looked like at the initial release. I always thought that the round exhaust tips were at odds with the rest of the rear fascia & tail lights.​

·
Registered
817 Posts
I sure hope the spoiler does not show up on the production car...it looks like it would be in the way of accessing the cargo area from the hatch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is that a Caravaggio wheel and airbag cover?
S.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two things that even then"rumor mill" is perplexed about, though the rumor mill is mostly convinced that there will be a high performance StingRay and it will be soon, with many believing it will be unveiled in mid-January at the North American International Auto show. Of course, GM, consistent with past practice, has repeatedly said, "we do not comment on future product." Then again, maybe there won't be a high performance version for the 2015 model year, but in ----?

Two things in hot debate:

1) Will the high performance version be supercharged? Most believe it will be, that it will remain the same 6.2L as the current LT1. However, others, a vocal minority, point to Cadillac moving to a 4.5 L twin-turbo V8's, believe it will be powered by a twin-turbo'd. The "smallest" number predict that because both supercharged and twin-turbo'd motors have greater weight and add heat into the engine, both things the enemy of track use, that the new motor, while still being a 6.2L, will be naturally aspirated.

2) What will the new high performance version be called?

Even this section thread title shows we have no idea whether it will be a Z07 (as Car & Driver first proposed), OR, continuing the tradition, and be called a Z06, OR have some other name? Adding fuel to this name confusion, the following statement was made in a recent video interview, when GM North American President, Mark Reuss said that, "there have been no discussions about an upcoming 'Z06.'" Since this was in a videotaped meeting with Car & Driver's Executive Board -- still available on the web, I do not think he would blatantly lie. Will the new hp version have a new, other than Z06, name?

What do you think about these two, preceding "hot topics," and what features do you believe the eventual high performance version will have that are different from the current Z-51's?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I personally believe they will have 2 hipo versions, like they did in the past. One normally aspirated and the other with forced induction. The problem here lies in the current goodness (if that's even a word) of the Stingray. Much of what they learned in the Z06 made it's way into the C7, what new barriers can they break?

If they hold true to their aspiration, to be the every man's Porsche, a Z0x version would mimic the GT3. A lighter, stiffer, faster track tool what's not terribly comfortable on the street but pure boy racer on the track. Then, they can reach for the moon with a ZR1 that's their answer to the 911 turbo. Maximum HP with maximum luxury.

Price wise, they could be very close in price and the Z0x version could actually be priced higher than the ZR1 by virtue of it's use of even more exotic components. Higher CF content, CF brakes, etc.

And, if they want to maintain their edge, do both of these in the sub $100K range putting them still at 2/3rds the price of the competition.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark, I really like, and think you accurately described one problem GM is going to have in developing a hipo StingRay, and that is to improve on, using your phrase, "the current goodness of the StingRay." It may not be "the King's English," but I love your descriptive phrase and think it is very accurate. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
One clue is maybe to look at what they have been doing with the Camaro. The ZL1 Camaro uses a 580-horsepower 6.2L supercharged V8, this would make sense for the Z07 or whatever they end up calling it. Why reinvent the wheel sort of speak engine wise.

The other engine is the new Z28 LS7 engine at 505 horsepower making it the most powerful normally aspirated regular production small block V8 with some tuning maybe get 515 to 525hp out of it for the Corvette. Last years Z06 was 505hp so to make the new Z06 better GM only needs to boost the engine to say around 525 to 550hp....

The last choice would be last years ZR1 engine 6.2-liter LS9 supercharger pushing 638hp maybe de-tune a little to leave room for a new 700+ hp ZR1 later?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Interesting because the name LT5 was used for the C4 ZR-1. GM is getting smarter because if they were to come out with a new name like LT8 they would have to copy write it and people have a way of finding these things out and then rumors start flying.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the "predictions" continue...

According to gtspirit.com, "Jalopnik is reporting that a reliable source has told them the 2015 Corvette Z06 will indeed debut at the upcoming Detroit show alongside the next-generation Corvette C7 race car. Little more information is known at this point regarding either models, although we can glean some information about the C7.R from the ALMS and ACO rules for 2014 onwards.

In that vein, expect the engine to produce no more than 500 horsepower from a production based engine block. Naturally the bodywork will be fettled to increase aerodynamic efficiency and the usual bits such as the interior will be removed in favor of lightness.

We don’t expect the 2015 Z06 to stray terribly far from the base model Stingray – meaning the engine should continue to be a naturally aspirated V8 in the neighborhood of 500-600hp. Other reports are circulating that suggest the new Z06 could match the outright pace of the outgoing ZR1, although we have yet to see strong reasoning behind such rumors.

We will keep you posted as the story continues to develop."

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hmmm. I'd think that bodes well for easy factory performance upgrades. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"We don’t expect the 2015 Z06 to stray terribly far from the base model Stingray – meaning the engine should continue to be a naturally aspirated V8 in the neighborhood of 500-600hp."

So I'm still thinking it might be the Z28 LS7 engine at 505hp......

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Z-28's, 7L, 427 ci motor remains the fourth generation small block. Since the regular StingRay has the fifth gen LT1, with variable value timing, direction injection, etc., I am not thinking kindly of even a 555 HP, four gen motor in the hipo version. However, a naturally aspirated 6.2L ,fifth gen motor, producing 600 HP, would be fantastic and my preference.

Personally, have not ruled out a 2015 Callaway coupe, as the extra weight of the 610 HP (est.) supercharged Callaway and it's consequent higher intake manifold temperatures, since I do not track my car, does not present a problem for me. However, I could be the only one who is thinking that way.

Waiting, with many, until the Z07 is actually revealed, before I decide which way I will be going.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The Z-28's, 7L, 427 ci motor remains the fourth generation small block. Since the regular StingRay has the fifth gen LT1, with variable value timing, direction injection, etc., I am not thinking kindly of even a 555 HP, four gen motor in the hipo version. However, a naturally aspirated 6.2L ,fifth gen motor, producing 600 HP, would be fantastic and my preference.

Personally, have not ruled out a 2015 Callaway coupe, as the extra weight of the 610 HP (est.) supercharged Callaway and it's consequent higher intake manifold temperatures, since I do not track my car, does not present a problem for me. However, I could be the only one who is thinking that way.

Waiting, with many, until the Z07 is actually revealed, before I decide which way I will be going.
If not a Calloway perhaps a Z51 with the forthcoming Edelbrock SC package.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts