Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Found the Best Way to Detail the Corvette - Thanks Glen!

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SR-71 
#1 ·
I would like to give a VERY BIG THANK YOU TO GLEN E!!!!!!!!

He has showed me the proper way to wash, wax, and detail this car and I couldn't believe how easy fast it is. He even let me call him several times to help answer my questions and walk me through everything. Being new to all of this, I was very nervous going into it simply because I did not want to cause a single scratch on my car. But now I no longer have anything to fear. Glen can explain it all much better than I can but I will try to give a quick summary of what I did. I just purchased the car yesterday so that's why it was a longer process than normal. Only use Dawn dish washing soap the first time. After that you can use the rinseless method or just use any car wash soap that you like.

---------------------------------------------
1. I started by pouring 2 ounces of Dawn dish washing soap in a bucket. I also dropped about 8 microfiber towels (although you don't need that many) in that same bucket. I then took out one microfiber at a time, folded it into 4 squares and started wiping each panel of the car from side to side and up and down (do not go in circles!). Once I had used each square of the microfiber, I threw it in a garbage bag to be washed later on. I then took out the next microfiber and continued the process...

2. Next, I soaked a clay sponge in the bucket of water and Dawn and "clayed" the entire car. It is important that keep soaking the sponge in the bucket during this process.

3. After that, I used Blackfire Total Polish and Seal and waxed the entire car. I did not have a buffer so I just used a typical applicator to wipe side by side and up and down with the wax. Then I went back with a microfiber towel and wiped everything off. As Glen knows....I was very nervous about this step before hand, but it was extremely easy and turned out great afterwards. It was just as Glen said, you can't screw up!

4. Lastly, I put on 2 coats of Blackfire Crystal Seal to help protect the paint. All you do is spray the square spongle/applicator that they give you 3 times and wipe it on side by side and up and down. After every 2 panels, spray it 3 times gain and continue on.....
---------------------------------------------

The car looked INCREDIBLE when I was done! I couldn't believe how simple and well it worked. I will also be using the rinseless/quick detail method that Glen showed me in the near future. Here is a thread on that.
A 15 min Blackfire mini-detail in a sports bar parking lot! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Sorry that I do not have any better pictures, my camera died so I had to take a photo with my iPhone. You will just have to take my word that the car looks absolutely incredible. Let me know if I missed anything Glen!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've always been told that using any dish washing detergent is really bad for your car. They contain all types of chemicals and salt crystals that destroy your paint. I don't want to start a pissing war, I'm really neutral, please use whatever you like, but you might want to look into this a little deeper. I mentioned what I used by name in another post and got destroyed as others said it was too mild, but that is the point, it is mild. Here is a link about dawn, and whatever you use, good luck:
Should I use (Dawn) to wash my paint? - Autopia Detailing Wiki - Autopia

#12 ·
Glen e knows! I cleaned my machined aluminum wheels, then applied a coat of Nu Finish as recommended. Now I am able to quickly wipe off brake dust with a long handled Swiffer! I do this at the end of each day I drive the car. Wheels look great and I don't have to chance hurting my old back by bending down with a rag. It is all good.

Bighogg

#14 · (Edited)
Although I use Zaino products, the process I use is very similar to Glen's, which is excellent. Here is a pic of two hours work, period.(and that was because it looked like it could rain so I spent more time in the garage) Vehicle Hood Car Red Automotive exterior

Notice the Xmas lites on the palm trees? pretty clean reflection I believe.

#15 ·
Washed mine. Covered it totally in XPEL. Done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.