Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car Saturday, build date 5/1/2014.
On Saturday on the driver’s side engine compartment I saw some white dust around the wheel well and didn’t think anything about is as it rubbed off with water and a towel. Today playing around and checking the oil I looked across to the other side of the compartment and could see white stuff under the fender lip. It was like wall spackle stuck to the underside. I chipped it out (I should have taken a picture) and it does not seem to be part of the fender and or something coming out from under the fender assemble.
Anyone going any idea what this is? Could it be left over from the molding process and they forget to break it all out?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had an installer use a white powder to dry clean the sides of my HHR before they installed the wrap a few years ago. Maybe the deater use a similar product to prep your car before you picked it up.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Maybe polishing compound?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe polishing compound?
It was a big hard glob stuck underneath the inside fender rim where the fender is bolted to the car. As I said, it was like spackle when it drips on the floor and hardens. Hopefully no big deal, just another strange thing you find. If it was my Ford I probably would not even be checking around the engine compartment at this point.

·
Registered
810 Posts
wonder if it could have been a mud wasp nest. That stuff has a spackle/dirt like consistency. These cars do sit outside for a period of time before they are delivered.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some under the car today when I moved it. Was wondering where sheet rock stuff could have come from. I'm going to the dealer and have them put this up on a lift and see if I have more of this stuff under the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did not run over anything as this stuff was also in the engine compartment. found some more in the inside well when i was installing my curb alert.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I cleaned it up. Maybe when I get my Race Ramps I will be able to get under the car and see if there is any more.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just read something (on another corvette forum) about broken fenders under the headlight housing - they were "glued" together with a thick adhesive - there were pictures there too. It was discovered during a repair for something else. There were also pictures of this same cracked piece on another vehicle. There was speculation that it was repaired at BG and wasn't a crucial piece so doesn't need to be "perfect". It isn't easily visible. May only see if have the front bumper off. If I had more time I would post the link but you can probably search...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Thanks for the information. This spackle stuff was inside the engine compartment in the fender lip the hood comes down on. It wiped right off with a damp cloth. I found the other spackle on the floor of the garage. Looked like a spackle that you might chip out of a piece of dry wall. Kind of the same stuff. Does not seem like any type of glue. Still wondering if this is something left over from the molding process, of they have a piece of bad sheet rock overhead at the factory that fell into my engine compartment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts