Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you mean the ones that deflect air around the tires? I wonder the same thing. I am sure that Chevrolet put them there for a reason, my guess ....they have more to do with track aero or brake cooling. I hate that they drag the ground so often.

·
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the ones that deflect air around the tires? I wonder the same thing. I am sure that Chevrolet put them there for a reason, my guess ....they have more to do with track aero or brake cooling.
Actually just the center one. My understanding is it is not installed on Z51 so I am curious what purpose it serves on the base model.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Got ya...mine is the z51, there is no center one on the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if there are my negative effects in removing the front rubber air dam?
I am wondering this as well. Personally I think it looks very ugly running all the way across on my base model. I do like the look of forum member c7Jake's car without it.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Actually just the center one. My understanding is it is not installed on Z51 so I am curious what purpose it serves on the base model.
They divert air from under the car. It reduces drag, better gas mileage. My understanding is on the Z51 there was a brake cooling issue, although it would seem there could have been an opening provided. For some of us it appears the removal was a last minute decision. We'll see what is done for the 2015 Z51's! In fact I was thinking of adding a center section back! I don't track the car so don't need extra brake cooling. They are inexpensive and made to be replaced if needed. That dragging does little harm and is a good warning that the next thing to hit are the aluminum skid rails or called a radiator support! Much more expensive to replace.
I can recall years ago adding a rear spoiler to my 1974 260 Z. Added rear downforce but the front end got light at speed. Had to add a front air dam to offset the extra rear downforce, which it did in addition to reducing drag.

·
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They divert air from under the car. It reduces drag, better gas mileage. My understanding is on the Z51 there was a brake cooling issue, although it would seem there could have been an opening provided. For some of us it appears the removal was a last minute decision. We'll see what is done for the 2015 Z51's! In fact I was thinking of adding a center section back! I don't track the car so don't need extra brake cooling. They are inexpensive and made to be replaced if needed. That dragging does little harm and is a good warning that the next thing to hit are the aluminum skid rails or called a radiator support! Much more expensive to replace.
I can recall years ago adding a rear spoiler to my 1974 260 Z. Added rear downforce but the front end got light at speed. Had to add a front air dam to offset the extra rear downforce, which it did in addition to reducing drag.
Mine has already begun to separate at one end. It doesn't seen to be very durable so I removed it. Since the Z51 doesn't have it, I don't believe it will have any significant impact.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I've been running mine without the center dam for quite a while and noticed no difference in fuel economy with it off. If that keeps things cooler, then it's better off, imho. The side dams are now gone as well since I've added the ACS splitter.

Reactions: TNSQUIRE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts