Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased and installed the Corvette OEM front end bra/mask? I'm having a heck of a time installing mine because the tabs on each side of the mask do not fit between the headlight lenses and the front fenders. The good news is that the lenses fit very snugly into their openings in the fenders. The bad news is that the fit on mine is so snug that I can't get the stiff bra tabs to slide into what amounts to no opening. Any ideas?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Please don't tell me you are putting one of those horrible black things on your car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I plan to use one to get me home from NCM to California. Then off it comes, out to my detailer and then Xpel.

Michael

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. So you're telling me that you don't get front-end paint nicks from rocks/debris thrown up by cars in front of you? Or you do get the nicks, but don't care?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm going to avoid the chips after I get home by having Xpel Ultimate installed on the front in place of the mask and after my detailer uses his magic on the paint.

Michael

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought one after seeing it on one of the 22 Stingrays that GM sent to Corvettes at Carlisle in 2013. The fit looked good. I have not installed it on my Stingray yet because of the cold weather I'm still dealing with. I didn't get the car until March 4th.
I'll be using it for long trips including a run up to Maine in June and Carlisle in August. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Has anyone purchased and installed the Corvette OEM front end bra/mask? I'm having a heck of a time installing mine because the tabs on each side of the mask do not fit between the headlight lenses and the front fenders. The good news is that the lenses fit very snugly into their openings in the fenders. The bad news is that the fit on mine is so snug that I can't get the stiff bra tabs to slide into what amounts to no opening. Any ideas?
rolson
I don't have an answer to your question but I am interested in the outcome as I will also be using one of those bras to get my car from BG to California. I plan to sell the bra once I get here and have a clear bra installed after I do some detailing work. Maybe Glen e can comment on the installation techniques he used for his.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You could also have the Expel put on at the Museum, so it's on there when you drive home. Just another option that's available, and may prevent paint damage from the bra.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I considered that as an option except then you lock in the paint finish as it is from the factory. I plan to correct the paint with a professional detailer when I get it home then put the expel on after the work is done.
The fabric bra should not cause any damage the short time I will have it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased the "GM" authorized bra from Corvette Central to provide some degree of protection for the drive from the museum to north GA. No a wise move. The bra did not fit well at all. Particular around the headlights where they provide these tabs that are designed to slip in between the body to lamp housing gap. DO NOT waste your money even as a temporary measure. The mistake I made was to not get the XPELL from the museum staff.

Same subject – a local dealer to my area offers a different product that one of my club members seems to be happy with. The forum discusses some of the positive experiences with “XPELL” file to protect the paint. Anybody have some real experience with another product from “SUNTEK”? A search of some of the other forums is really split of the merits of either of these two. All seem to trash the 3M product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing a Muesum Delivery April 11 on my Lauguna Blue convertible
I ask Lori at Muesum if I could get lPX installed . She refered my to a web
Site to find someone to install acts I pick up my C7

·
Registered
419 Posts
This may not be the appropriate thread for this question.
Can anyone tell me what purpose the front air dams under the front bumper serve other than to make me cringe every time I go over a low spot?
What negative impact would result from removing them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok I agree with the opinions against the OEM bra or bras like that in general. I did purchase it to bridge me to the point where I decided which invisible product to have applied. I recently had the
XPel ultimate film applied and am very happy. Back to the bra. While it can back a little challenging to figure out how those darn tabs fit in those creases I got to a method that worked fine and frankly once installed the bra was a tight good looking fit. What you need to do is look for the place around the headlight which is not as tight and the tab goes in then use that same relative area and insert the other tabs in that side by sliding the tabs one by one to the final position until you have all three tabs on the top in. Do the same for the three tabs that are below the light and your done then move to the other side. Don't snap the part of the bra that goes in on each side of the engine compartment area until both headlight areas are fully set.

Hope this made sense. Good luck. Here is a pic of my Vette with GM bra before I had XPel installed. ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395968786.611826.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395968802.368674.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395968815.216489.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 20 of 43 Posts