Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There appear to currently be two factory front license plate install options for the approximate 32 states that require a front license plate. For those states that do not require a front plate to be displayed, GM has supplied a curved front plate bracket, one that is more aerodynamic than if it is not used (and I can not explain the aero reasons, per GM, but it must be completely removed for track usage). Before going into the factory options, we all remember that the aftermarket came to the rescue for the C6 and there will be many aftermarket versions coming.

1) Be lucky and live in a state which doesn't require a front plate, and if so, could use GM's supplied curved front plate bracket shown below;
2) Be unlucky and live in a state which requires a front plate, but doesn't specify a minimum plate height;
3) Be super, super unlucky and live in a state that not only requires a front plate, but specifies a minimum height; or,
4) If you belong to categories 2-4, wait for the aftermarket.

Here are the two supplied GM options.

While the following video provides a guideline to install the curved one, it is turning out not to be as simple as the video shows, as this depends (or not) on whether your state has a minimum front plate install height.

If your state does have a minimum height requirement, here's a picture of that flat bracket installed.

The "appearing best option" for those who live in a state that requires a front plate, but doesn't specify minimum plate height, is to bend the plate and drill four small holes in the aero bracket. However, a picture of that option has not yet surfaced, and perhaps it might be desirable to wait until a picture of that install curved-bracket opinion surfaces.

Other ideas?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And, finally, we have a definitive, positive answer for those who need to mount a front plate (but who live in a state that does NOT have a minimum plate height requirement). Thanks to frikshun79 on the internet, we have his process/picture, which he says mounts the bottom of the plate 11" above the ground.

"First step is to pull the "Corvette" plate off the curved bracket. I know it says not to install the plate to the bracket, but just ignore that! (who reads warnings anyways??) Once removed, if you look closely, there are four small dimples in the bracket that will line up with the holes in the plate. I used a small drill bit to drill pilot holes in the bracket.

Next, install the two plastic fasteners and install the bracket on the car. The fasteners dont snug down, they tighten the bracket enough to hold and then they slip so you cant overtighten the bracket and break the grill.

I used 4 self tapping screws to mount the plate. I recommend 4 so that it holds all 4 corners from flaring out."

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder what the owners who already have taken possession of their vehicles in states requiring front plates are doing. Texans, others?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes sinner!! I will as soon as I'm allowed... Registration hasn't gone through yet. Will post asap...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Got my plates before it got registered. Are you going to put sinner in your plates?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Love the new avatar YellwStgr..
Thank you :D I waited a longggggg time to do that as this is my first! Dream come true!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
680 Posts
Installing front plate now, but using the frame I ordered through GM for $15, because it goes over the nose and onto the paint. Texas doesn't have a height law, from what I've been reading everywhere. Therefore, I'm installing like the photo above. Got back plate on. I'll post an install pic shortly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Being in Texas, at the urging of my dealer, I ordered the front plate bracket. On my last 2 vehicles, I didn't want the bumper to be drilled, so I have gone without a front plate. Yes I have stopped by DPS several times, but never been ticketed.

Reactions: USARocketman

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know that in Ohio (a two plate state-so far) we are able to modify (cut) the vertical height of the front plate so that it will fit in the grille opening and not have to use the "wonderful" GM mounting plate at all. I have even noticed that some people just bent the top and bottom flanges around to the rear to reduce the height. I contacted the local Ohio Highway Patrol office to confirm that the modification was acceptable. The numbers/letters cannot be altered, but the plate can be cut carefully (top and bottom) then mounted with long screws through the grille with back vertical plates on each end and through the four corners (drill holes) of the plate attached with a lock washer, nut or screw cap on the front side. It is possible to even use a modified frame or rubber tubing to surround the edges of the plate for a better look - satin finish black looks best. You can even use strips of foam between the grille and rear of the plate to eliminate vibration and marring of the grill and plated center bar. I have had this on my C6 GS for over three years without a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Texas and never put a front plate on any of my cars. I have had many Vetts and have received many warning tickets. Always a warning. So far . . . I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying this. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've painted two of the "bent" plate brackets to match for clients and then mounted with the supplied hardware and installed the plate over them.

The other Stingray owners elected to run plateless fronts.

I'm in Dallas Texas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Stingray Retractable License Plate Frame also called the "POWERED" Show N Go? It looks like a good concept for those who don't want to install the factory license plate frame to the front fascia.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts