Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people are just not running the front plate, but why give the cops instant probable cause to stop you?
The big square clunky license plate holder is an abomination, but the "Corvette" logo "aeroplate" is easy to modify and run a regular tag on it
as per the attached photo...If you have to have a front plate, this doesn't look half bad imho...If anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it...

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
You did what I did.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Are the motorized license plate holders any good?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just one more example of an asinine NJ law.......

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
475 Posts
I also did what you did. I placed clunky one on for state inspection and then removed it and modified the aerodynamic one. I have the after market one that you can slide in or pop out but I felt that the one I modified looked better. Also the after market one would be to close to the ground and May damage the front of the car. Gm does not want us to use the better looking plate holder because it is not mounted high enough and it has a bend in it. But I don't think law officers will care.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hate the idea of destroying the front of my C-7 with the dam thing. I will wait till I get pulled over. Everyone here tells me they won't mess with it till I get a ticket for being stupid. Then they will add the ticket for no plate. Which I might add, I am very capable of ;-(

Cyber Grey, Born Oct. 29, 2LT, Nav, Auto, Z51 Spoiler. Used Xpel Bra.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Coupeguyz51, did that front aeroplate come with the car when shipped to NJ, or did you have to purchase it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ignoring law in Texas and haven't been stopped after dozen head on sightings

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
No front plate required in NC, thankfully. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Coupeguyz51, did that front aeroplate come with the car when shipped to NJ, or did you have to purchase it?
Both holders where placed in the trunk by the dealer at my request. Since MJ is required front plate state the dealer is required to provide the front plate holder at a cost of $15. The other holder that shows the corvette name should have been on the car or in the trunk.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both holders where placed in the trunk by the dealer at my request. Since MJ is required front plate state the dealer is required to provide the front plate holder at a cost of $15. The other holder that shows the corvette name should have been on the car or in the trunk.

That was my experience also....

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
That was my experience also....
Thanks for this. I am going to email my dealer requesting the front plate holder not be mounted on the car. Before I do, I want to make sure I have this right. As I understand it, if you are in a front plate state, you automatically receive the "aero" (corvette logo) plate holder with the car. I did not order the $15 optional plate holder so I assume I will not receive that. I think the optional one is for states that have a height requirement. While my state has a front plate requirement, I don't believe it has a height requirement.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I think it goes as follows.

Every StingRay comes with the "aero" plate. This is the nice-looking one (but technically not high enough for some states).

If you are in a "front plate state" you get both for free. If you do not live in a "front plate state", for $15 you can get the second one added in as well. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, however.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think it goes as follows.

Every StingRay comes with the "aero" plate. This is the nice-looking one (but technically not high enough for some states).

If you are in a "front plate state" you get both for free. If you do not live in a "front plate state", for $15 you can get the second one added in as well. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, however.
Interesting and very helpful. I think both coupeguyz51 and mybluecorvette are saying they are in front plate states and were charged $15 for the non-aero mount. Doesn't really matter I guess.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My car came with the front plate and the nasty big bulky mount installed above the grille. When I take it off, there should be no issues cosmetically if I sport no front plate? Pretty sure, just double checking. Thx for the info in advance.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Interesting and very helpful. I think both coupeguyz51 and mybluecorvette are saying they are in front plate states and were charged $15 for the non-aero mount. Doesn't really matter I guess.
Okay. Maybe it is just CA law requires them to give it to us for free. Anyway, like you said, it is only $15, so it doesn't really matter.

I told my sales guy to leave them both in the trunk, and I will take care of it myself a month later when my plates show up in the mail.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
My car came with the front plate and the nasty big bulky mount installed above the grille. When I take it off, there should be no issues cosmetically if I sport no front plate? Pretty sure, just double checking. Thx for the info in advance.
It should be very easy to remove with a screwdriver in 30 seconds. The problem, as I see it, is did the big ugly scratch the paint on your nose above the grille while it was riding around up there freaking people out?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts