Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my rubber air dam two years ago after a tear in it. I eventually remove it from the front of the car after it tore off and was beating under the car. Well it caused a SERIOUS ISSUE THAT I HAVE NOT READ ANYWHERE. My car is at my mechanic's (Justin Nelson) in NC stage 2 cam, A&A SC installed and then tuned by Jeremy at Fasterproms. When he pulled off the "beauty" manifold cover off the manifold he found a lot of sand in and around the manifold as well as other areas. Took quite a while to loosen and vac it out.

I bought my car new April of 2016. I am meticulous with my C7 and it has been constantly detailed, garaged, maintained and has 25k for mileage. I never took the manifold cover off so I missed it. So what we figured was with the rubber air dam being off the front of the car and not re-directing the air around the car, sand from the roads over two years collected on the manifold (any everywhere else) where it was being directed by the cover from the wind into the manifold. So if you removed your rubber front air dam I would highly recommend you pull off the manifold cover and inspect it. I ordered another complete rubber air dam replacement kit from GM (front and both sides) at a cost of $142. Hope this helps you guys.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
How long did you drive with the rubber dragging on the ground? That may have more to do with it than removing the piece. Or maybe you need to stop driving on the beach! ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure the air dam has anything to do with it. I have all three pieces.

Took the plenum cover off when I installed a supercharger two years ago.

Cleaned the engine bay on Saturday and this is what the intake manifold looks like today.

Classifying this as a serious issue seems a bit of a leap to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took off all the engine covers, hood cover, plastic air dams, etc... and am willing to sell any and all of them if anyone wants them?

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 2014 had the rubber Air Dam but I took them off as I hated the way it looked and figured it wouldn't hurt anything but it isn't a daily driver and I only have 10.5k miles on her.

I have had the manifold covers off and I don't recall seeing any sand or other particles but it is probably based on where you live but in Michigan we don't have alot of sand.

The Z51 doesn’t even come with the center air dam. That would mean every Z51 owner is at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only drove it with the air dam under car dragging for a mile to my house. You really have to let a lot of air out of the tires for beach driving :single_eye:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in Florida without question we have a lot of sand on the roadways. My intent was just to advise everyone here what happened to my car after two years and to check yours out as a precaution. After I install the new air dam I will keep an eye on it and advise.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Here in Florida without question we have a lot of sand on the roadways. My intent was just to advise everyone here what happened to my car after two years and to check yours out as a precaution. After I install the new air dam I will keep an eye on it and advise.
Doesn't hurt to get the info . Thanks for the info and hopefully it won't develop into a big deal for you or anyone else...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just replaced mine this past weekend after I tore 2 bolts out bottoming out in a steep driveway. It cost around $40 and I didn't want it to look bad hanging down. Now I'm really careful about bottoming out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If nothing else you give me a reason to pop off the Beauty cover and check it out and or vacuum it. Mine is starting to fail and I was thinking of removing it, I'll either remove it and keep an eye on the manifold or just put a new one on, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts