Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new one. Especially on me. I was on a trip from Kentucky to New York. Car performing perfectly. Stopped in Ashland, Ohio for a fill-up. The Fuel door was locked and would not release even after following the owners manual instructions. Its not the first time I filled the tank so I should know by now how to do it. After a call to my hometown dealer with no help I asked if there was a local Chevy dealer. There was and off I went. The people were very helpful and after a few minutes the tech had removed 1 screw and unplugged the locking solenoid and opened the flap. Now it won't lock but is accessible. Anyone else have this problem? I will see if my local dealer will cover the replacement of the bad solenoid under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This has been a common problem for years. Some have just disconnected the solenoid and others like myself put a plastic scrivet in the door opening where the plunger goes. Can’t lock it but I’ll never get locked out either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
It is a common problem. There are threads here on the forum on this topic.

Everyone will face this at some point, unless they somehow defeat the latching mechanism, or trade the car off before that solenoid fails. It isn't a question of "if"; it is a question of, "will I do something about it, OR get rid of the car before it happens?"

·
Administrator
15,019 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am again amazed at the knowledge of the members on this forum. After reading the replies I feel better about this locking problem. I really don't need a lock on it ..I haven't had a fuel problem in my entire driving career. (almost 60 years). When I get a few minutes, I will install a plug in the opening for the lock pin. Better safe than sorry. Thanks to all the replies.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yep, never had the problem with my 2014 Z51 in 3 1/2 years so never used the simple remedy Shown below.

However one of the first times I filled the Grand Sport I had to press the open door button several times before the door unlocked.

So I scrounged through my "staff of stuff I might need some day" and found a Scrivet that filled the hole the locking solenoid pin slips into! Now no worries accept for someone dumping "sugar in my gas tank!"

fueldoorplug_99b7bf15fab74f6534470586d6727f5ca51ea75a.jpg ii_1_14077_5.jpg Hole.jpg

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just in case, I installed a 1/4" scrivet the other day to forestall the locking problem. Never had a problem, but I don't want to and now I won't. I stopped in an auto parts store and got a two pack for a couple of bucks. --Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just installed the Push Plug to my 2017 Vette Filler Door! A "Peace of Mind" mod for pennies! Lowe's had a Two Pack for $.83. Money well spent IMHO:tickled_pink:

·
Registered
653 Posts
How secure are the scrivets? I'm not sure what I fear more...my gas cap not opening, or a scrivet somehow ending up in my gas tank

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you remember what size or code for those push plugs?
Sorry! I discarded the package without looking! Lowe's has a assortment of sizes! Looked through the plastic wrap, I chose two different size stems and actually used the larger of the two. Auto Zone, NAPA, Advanced Auto and the likes have a large array of the Push Plugs.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How secure are the scrivets? I'm not sure what I fear more...my gas cap not opening, or a scrivet somehow ending up in my gas tank
If it makes you feel better, I saw a simple solution that requires no measuring! Poster just used a round head bolt and nut! If your paranoid use a Nylon locking nut or Loctite! :watermelon:

BTW my Scrivet will never come loss! It screws into it's base- see pic right in post #6.

PS: Giving more thought to the “concern” about a Scrivet falling off and getting past the tank pipe flapper (an unlikely possibility) there is nothing to be harmed! The fuel pump has a large, fine mesh filter on it’s inlet! You don’t want to know about the “stuff” that some gas station tanks have in them!

Now some vandal could push a rock down your gas intake- but that would do no harm to the system. On the other had sugar would! Second thought, if you’re that paranoid, Don’t Do It.

_dsc7461.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only way to remove the push pin, I used, would be to cut the head off and push the remainder of the pin through the hole! There is no way the push pin could end up in your tank!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Do you remember what size or code for those push plugs?
I measured the leftover one with a caliper at 5/16ths". And it was a scrivet, not a real push plug. Scrivet has a plastic screw with a Phillips head; mine was like the one to the right in JerryU's post above. You push it into the hole and then tighten it. --Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just returned from a local NAPA Store where I purchased a 18ea. pack of Trim Panel Retainers Part #665-2391. Same item as shown in Jerry U's post! A little over $6.00 for the pack!

·
Registered
43 Posts
We're getting ready to take a long cruise along Route 66 to California and I came on this thread. It would be just my luck to need a fill up in Tucumcari, MN and have the solenoid fail and not be able to fill up. So, I went to my box of left over screws, plugs, bolts and what ever is left over after reassembly and found a push plug that fit perfectly. The gas door closes and opens without a problem but will not lock when the car is locked. Oh well, at least I won't run out of gas!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I took Jerry's route. I had the same thing happen to me at the gas station, but fortunately when I got home it would open. I found a little bolt and nut.
Gas lid cap.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Draw a line straight down from the filler door and almost to the panel seam. Just up along the edge of the wheel well there is a torx screw. It is the only screw there. Remove it and push inner fender liner in a bit to squeeze your hand to grab the plug to the locking thing.
I tried to add a photo but was unsuccessful. Could be doing something wrong on this forum???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts