Stingray Corvette Forum banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is it possible to tie a heavy string to the actuator & run the other end into the storage, trunk, area with the drivers door opener behind the drivers seat? Are the angles such that it would be possible to pull the actuator. Would it stay in the open position?
Good question. I hope someone can answer this. It sounds like a jury-rigged duplication of the cable-operated locking gas flap I have had on my last three cars. And for those who say they have never heard of a problem with fuel vandals, I have had a problem. I came outside to find the flap of my C3's gas tank wide open with the fuel cap removed. That scared me so much I went right out and bought a locking fuel cap.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is definitely possible to run a cable to the actuator arm because forum members have done it... One ran a cable inside a plastic tube that terminated inside the left rear storage compartment.
However, be aware that the actuator is NOT spring loaded, but rather a motor that is driven open or closed by reversing polarity... Therefore, to pull it open you would have to deflect the arm, or slowly pull the actuator into the open position against the motor and drive gear resistance, not easy.
The good news is that it will stay in whatever position it is in when last energized.
This is most likely the reason GM did not include a manual release like on previous models.

I still say the best solution is to just remove the actuator completely and forget about it.

fueldoorsolenoidTEXT.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
O O Just looked at the picture close. The part was assembled in CHINA. Better yank it out quick. Since I am thinking of selling the Callaway to get the ME I think I'll take my chance with it. Thanks

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
O O Just looked at the picture close. The part was assembled in CHINA. Better yank it out quick. Since I am thinking of selling the Callaway to get the ME I think I'll take my chance with it. Thanks
Didn't notice that. Its OK they assembled it. Mine works fine. "I'll take my chance with it" too.

181 - 184 of 184 Posts