Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All doors and the rear hatch function properly using the fob and/or driver door unlock button. When I manually unlock the doors from both the fob and the driver door, I can hear the actuator in the fuel door do "something". However, the fuel door does not "pop" open when I press it (anywhere). I also tried pressing the fuel door while I press the unlock button on the driver door and/or the fob.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Unfortunately, you have hit a known problem which apparently happens to a very small percentage of owners. Search the forum for old threads on this topic.

I am very sad to say that you probably are not going to be happy with what you find. I am sorry.

After you read the threads, you need to determine your course of action, which may be deciding if you have enough gas to drive it to your dealer of choice.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Reactions: SgtMajUSMC(Retired)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. The post you shared didnt populate when I searched the forums. I have 1/2 tank and booked an appointment with the dealer this morning. I was hoping there was a "reset of sorts" I could complete to disengage the locking mechanism.

·
Administrator
16,507 Posts
Solenoid on order. Dealer removed the locking mechanism so I could refuel.
Glad resolution is on the way. Presume it is just a replacement solenoid, not a new and improved one?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
This still seems a pretty rare occurrence, but just to be safe maybe I'll put a scrivet in since I rarely park in places where I need to worry about gas theft. If I do have to park in a less secure location, it's easy enough to pull out the scrivet for the night.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
My view on this is that the risk of the car's fuel door malfunctioning is greater than the risk of someone messing with an unlocked fuel door while the car is parked.

The scrivet is on order for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally "installed" a plastic plug in the hole side of the door to stop the actuator from engaging. I found the perfect size that will remain secure but also may easily removed with a knife I park in a concerning area.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My view on this is that the risk of the car's fuel door malfunctioning is greater than the risk of someone messing with an unlocked fuel door while the car is parked.

I put the scrivet in a year or two ago. I don't park in areas where I would have any concerns about gas theft or getting something put in the tank. Seems to solve the (potential) problem for me. When I lock the car I can still hear the solenoid click. --Bob

·
Registered
10,556 Posts

I put the scrivet in a year or two ago. I don't park in areas where I would have any concerns about gas theft or getting something put in the tank. Seems to solve the (potential) problem for me. When I lock the car I can still hear the solenoid click. --Bob
When I posted that above in October 2016, I didn't yet know that the ones I ordered from Amazon were a cheap knock-off from China; although they were the correct part number, they were the wrong size. What a waste of money. I tried to get a refund from the vendor who sold them on Amazon, but the person I was dealing with either didn't understand English very well, or pretended as if he didn't understand English very well. He wanted a picture of what I had received, taken with one of the scrivets in front of a ruler showing dimensions. I sent such a picture, he didn't communicate back for a while, but finally responded when I informed him that I was going to tell my credit card company that he wasn't responding to address the situation. He responded, and ... asked for more pictures...

It wasn't worth my time at that point. I was had and ripped off. It was a total waste of money...

Matt (SgtMajUSMC) sent me some through the mail which were the correct size.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I posted that above in October 2016, I didn't yet know that the ones I ordered from Amazon were a cheap knock-off from China; although they were the correct part number, they were the wrong size. What a waste of money. I tried to get a refund from the vendor who sold them on Amazon, but the person I was dealing with either didn't understand English very well, or pretended as if he didn't understand English very well. He wanted a picture of what I had received, taken with one of the scrivets in front of a ruler showing dimensions. I sent such a picture, he didn't communicate back for a while, but finally responded when I informed him that I was going to tell my credit card company that he wasn't responding to address the situation. He responded, and ... asked for more pictures...

It wasn't worth my time at that point. I was had and ripped off. It was a total waste of money...

Matt (SgtMajUSMC) sent me some through the mail which were the correct size.
Semper Fi - Marines are tough and generous!

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I should also offer a few... i bought a bag at the local NAPA i think.. based on recommendation i got from the board here... so DM me if anyone is interested!

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should also offer a few... i bought a bag at the local NAPA i think.. based on recommendation i got from the board here... so DM me if anyone is interested!
Racer X: Can you let me know how to PM or DM like you said? I see that comment come up a lot but I don't know how to do it. It would be much appreciated if you can tell me the steps to accomplish this. Thank You

·
Administrator
16,507 Posts
Racer X: Can you let me know how to PM or DM like you said? I see that comment come up a lot but I don't know how to do it. It would be much appreciated if you can tell me the steps to accomplish this. Thank You
To 'PM' or private message a member, click on their icon and a new screen will come up where you will see "Start conversation." Click on that and follow the on screen instructions. When you send it, it will be between you and the member.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To 'PM' or private message a member, click on their icon and a new screen will come up where you will see "Start conversation." Click on that and follow the on screen instructions. When you send it, it will be between you and the member.
JSVETTE: Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sorry for the delay... but yeah, exactly what Jeff said ;)

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 18 of 18 Posts