Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain why when I try and pump fuel from the pump, it automatically kicks off after just a few pennies. Tried it at 2 different stations. The only solution I found is when I turn the pump handle to 3:00, it will take the fuel.

The dealership is looking into it, but they tried to tell me I have to use the black nozzle that came with the car. That is incorrect, it is only required for a gas can. It has to be an immersions sensor in the tank that turns off the handle when the tank is full. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot...the supplied nozzle is to be used with a gas can in case you run out....

some station nozzles are better than others, I have found one at a chevron station that works perfect....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
where did you get a black nozzle with your car? I did not get a nozzle :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I basically said. "You mean I have to put that stinky nozzle back in the cabin every time I get gas?"

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
This can happen for various combinations of car/pump nozzle. Generally try to move the nozzle in or out a little, and/or set the automatic pump speed holder at the back to the middle flow setting instead of the fastest setting. What is happening is that the pump is flowing gas into the car at a rate faster than it can flow down the pipe into the gas tank, so the nozzle thinks the car is already full. Some combination of hints given above will always work.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
This can happen for various combinations of car/pump nozzle. Generally try to move the nozzle in or out a little, and/or set the automatic pump speed holder at the back to the middle flow setting instead of the fastest setting. What is happening is that the pump is flowing gas into the car at a rate faster than it can flow down the pipe into the gas tank, so the nozzle thinks the car is already full. Some combination of hints given above will always work.
I have this same issue as probably everybody does. It doesn't matter what gas station, its slightly tricky. It takes some finesse as rdslon01 describes. My concern is when I use the Jersey Turnpike in a coupla weeks where you are not allowed to fill your own tank and the attendants are used to shoving it all the way in, open fully and go on to the car in the next bay while it fills. We will see how that works.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I have this same issue as probably everybody does. It doesn't matter what gas station, its slightly tricky. It takes some finesse as rdslon01 describes. My concern is when I use the Jersey Turnpike in a coupla weeks where you are not allowed to fill your own tank and the attendants are used to shoving it all the way it, open fully and go on to the car in the next bay while it fills. We will see how that works.
I have a hard time believing that if you want to pump it yourself, that they would complain.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have a hard time believing that if you want to pump it yourself, that they would complain.
No can do on the Jersey Pike. They won't let you, its against State law. Maybe stations in more local jurisdictions would let you fill. I don't know.

But I don't live in New Jersey. Come on Jersey C7 folks whats your experience?

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I have this same issue as probably everybody does. It doesn't matter what gas station, its slightly tricky. It takes some finesse as rdslon01 describes. My concern is when I use the Jersey Turnpike in a coupla weeks where you are not allowed to fill your own tank and the attendants are used to shoving it all the way in, open fully and go on to the car in the next bay while it fills. We will see how that works.
Can't you fill up before you get to the New Jersey Turnpike? Won't a full tank of gas get you the whole way to beyond your exit off the turnpike?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Can't you fill up before you get to the New Jersey Turnpike? Won't a full tank of gas get you the whole way to beyond your exit off the turnpike?
Probably with that AFM!! I haven't driven the C7 on the NJ TPK yet. The gas is convenient and cheaper on the Pike than anywhere before or after. I have to drive practically the length of the road on a total 475 mile (one way) trip. So stopping is more than just a gas decision. I hope the Jersey Pike can fill my gas needs without any "complications".

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The nozzle is in your storage compartment in the hatch.
I just looked in the rear hatch compartment and nothing in there? Does every C7 owner supposed to get one of these when you spend 70K plus? Should I call my dealer and say where is my nozzle?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have found that the springs some stations have on the nozzles are the culprits with my diesel Jetta. I have not yet had any problem with the stingray. Just filled it up tonight. Have you noticed a (longer) spring on the nozzles that have been problematic?

Truly, I rarely pump gas, almost always diesel, so I don't know if the springs are on the gasoline nozzles. The springs help prevent the nozzle from jumping out of a wide mouth diesel tank on a truck or fuel can, but are the enemy of mis-fueling guards now on diesel cars or capless fills on c7's.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My brother in law's C5, my C6 both had issues with fueling nozzles. His is a coupe and mine was a vert. We both had to hold the nozzles at specific angles to fill the tank and could not set the nozzle on auto. I would not be surprised to see the same issue with the C7.

Michael

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My brother in law's C5, my C6 both had issues with fueling nozzles. His is a coupe and mine was a vert. We both had to hold the nozzles at specific angles to fill the tank and could not set the nozzle on auto. I would not be surprised to see the same issue with the C7.

Michael
My experience so far at 1,400 miles on my new C7 seems to be the same. I think it is manageable.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have found that the springs some stations have on the nozzles are the culprits with my diesel Jetta. I have not yet had any problem with the stingray. Just filled it up tonight. Have you noticed a (longer) spring on the nozzles that have been problematic?

Truly, I rarely pump gas, almost always diesel, so I don't know if the springs are on the gasoline nozzles. The springs help prevent the nozzle from jumping out of a wide mouth diesel tank on a truck or fuel can, but are the enemy of mis-fueling guards now on diesel cars or capless fills on c7's.
Interesting. I've used covered springs or ones that are open. Even the slim pipes don't allow the C7 to fill fast.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've filled mine at least 6 times at different places in the past 1500 miles and I have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same experience. Tweaking the fuel nozzle position is the only answer. I've found the most success with resting the nozzle just past the entry flap. The best flow rate I've gotten is about half. If I try to flow fuel any faster regardless of position, the nozzle shuts off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts