Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bout to move into a house with a three car garage and i need to treat it right so my Z06 is happy.

You guys must have photos of your garages... post em up! Give me some ideas, products ect...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
RaceDeck floor tiles only way to go

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would say two things to remember are , you can never have to much lighting or to many power outlets and different levels on walls for both...
Thought of something else I saw that was very cool. Friend of mine has a lift on one side of his garage and he even put lights in the floor shining up.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I installed SWISSTRAX "RibTrax" flooring and am extremely happy with it. I did receive a sample of both Swisstrax and RaceDeck but liked the SwissTrax much better, as it was much thicker, and you couldn't see through to the existing concrete floor as easily. GREAT product.

http://www.swisstrax.com

GS with skirts, splitter, wheel trim.jpg

Swisstrax garage.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased a garage floor epoxy DIY kit from Home Depot. It turned out pretty good, and I was happy with it for the price. (Few hundred) now after a couple years it is showing some wear and flaking in a few places. This is in my town house and still over all happy, but when I buy an actual house I want to go a different route, something more durable and longer lasting. Probably professionally installed epoxy or maybe the swisstrax.

My only question about the floor tiles (maybe some of you can chime in) is I live in Chicago and get salt and dirt that will drip off and on my floor in the winter time... how in the heck do you clean those tiles? My epoxy cleans very easily.

IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_3333.JPG

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
I purchased a garage floor epoxy DIY kit from Home Depot. It turned out pretty good, and I was happy with it for the price. (Few hundred) now after a couple years it is showing some wear and flaking in a few places. This is in my town house and still over all happy, but when I buy an actual house I want to go a different route, something more durable and longer lasting. Probably professionally installed epoxy or maybe the swisstrax.

My only question about the floor tiles (maybe some of you can chime in) is I live in Chicago and get salt and dirt that will drip off and on my floor in the winter time... how in the heck do you clean those tiles? My epoxy cleans very easily.
It is very easy to wash or hose down the RaceDeck. It has drain slots under both the solid and slotted tiles. You can also sweep debris and or vacuum it. But for salt, hosing is the easy solution. Mine looks great.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just retired and am ready to dress up the garage. Cabinets and flooring.

For you guys who have had Swistrac and Race Deck.

Have you had any issues with the tires staining the light grey, yellow or blue tiles? What about grease, brake fluid or brake cleaner????

Have you had any issues with the tiles buckling up if you turn the tires not moving or going slow? For example straightening out in the garage when pulling in or out.

How about the sun warming up the tiles near the garage door causing the tiles to expand and buckle up?

I ask because I just watched a video showing those things happening.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
I just retired and am ready to dress up the garage. Cabinets and flooring.

For you guys who have had Swistrac and Race Deck.

Have you had any issues with the tires staining the light grey, yellow or blue tiles? What about grease, brake fluid or brake cleaner????

Have you had any issues with the tiles buckling up if you turn the tires not moving or going slow? For example straightening out in the garage when pulling in or out.

How about the sun warming up the tiles near the garage door causing the tiles to expand and buckle up?

I ask because I just watched a video showing those things happening.
No issues with Race Deck. Incredibly durable and seemingly impervious to all liquids of any kind. The only thing I remember from my research before installing in both of my garages (pictures on related threads) is don't do any arc welding or similar activities near the floor tiles. As to expansion and buckling, etc., if you follow their clear guidelines as to how much you should leave between the tile and wall (or other immovable objects), you won't have any issues. You can see the expansion, for example, in my garages when you open the garage door and the desert sun beats down on the tiles at the entry versus further back in the garage. But again, not an issue and do not buckle because of the expansion space around the entire tile floor left just for that in the original design. Since these as in essence floating floors, if you came in with your car and jammed on the brakes, you could buckle tiles at the wheels. If that happen, it would not be hard at all to get the tiles to lay back down in proper position. :eek:nthego:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Here is a shot of my RaceDeck. I installed it 10 years ago View attachment 136097
My garage is on the side of my house. So we have to turn into the garage. On rare occasion, the tiles will buckle if the tires hit the first row at just the right angle. It's not an issue when it happens. As Jeff has said, the tiles float, so if it is installed correctly there just are not many problems. As you can see from the picture above, after 10 years, it is in great shape. I use a Orek orbital buffer on it a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
RaceDeck has quality materials and plenty of colors where you can lay out your personal designs and color coordinate to suit your taste. Good luck with the project, need to see when completed. :cool:

·
Registered
660 Posts
My garage is on the side of my house. So we have to turn into the garage. On rare occasion, the tiles will buckle if the tires hit the first row at just the right angle. It's not an issue when it happens. As Jeff has said, the tiles float, so if it is installed correctly there just are not many problems. As you can see from the picture above, after 10 years, it is in great shape. I use a Orek orbital buffer on it a couple of times a year.
So what are you buffing it for? Removing stains?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am thinking of using the free flow design so the snow and mag chloride fall through.

Have you guys had any issues with it being slippery when wet?

Also you have to put something under a floor jack or jack stands right? Those plastic ribs can't handle much weight in one small area like a caster or jack stand foot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts