Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading around and some people say i will actually get better gas mileage!!??
so i want to put a new Halltech CAI change the exhaust to Akrapovic exhaust
and change the headers... How will that change the MPG of the car?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have been reading around and some people say i will actually get better gas mileage!!??
so i want to put a new Halltech CAI change the exhaust to Akrapovic exhaust
and change the headers... How will that change the MPG of the car?
Properly designed headers and exhaust can boost performance, by allowing more efficient flow of exhaust gases. This improved exhaust efficiency (lower back-pressure) is usually associated with an increase in mass flow into the engine as well. The air/fuel ratio is constantly optimized by the CPU (when running in closed-loop), so more air moving through the engine typically corresponds to an increased fuel consumption.

That's the price you pay for performance with this type of mod.

As for a CAI, the C7 already has one, and there are plenty of entertaining videos of dyno tests where CAIs do nothing to improve power. Some even dyno the engine with the entire air filtration system removed, with no performance gain, demonstrating that the existing air filtration system is not restricting air flow (and using sufficient cooling air to ensure that intake air temperature is the same between all dyno runs).

But hey, it's your money...

and the placebo effect is very real.

One of the entertaining videos.

This video has strong opinion and adult language - even more entertaining.

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Mobius is correct, don't waste your money buying 'blue sky' when you have it for free :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After watching the videos I changed my mind no more CAI Haha its a good I asked before spending all this extra money for no reason.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
After watching the videos I changed my mind no more CAI Haha its a good I asked before spending all this extra money for no reason.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
Watch the second video, at 1:20 the exhaust manifolds go on. They look as good as any aftermarket tube header you could buy.
LT1 Videos

Four-into-one exhaust manifolds: The LT-1 uses a cast version of the “four-into-one” short-header exhaust manifold design used on the Gen 4 LS7 engine. The cast header passages enable consistent exhaust flow into the “wide mouth” collector at the converter.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have ARH long tubes with hi flow cats and Procharger kit and I'm getting roughly the same gas mileage. I only use more fuel because I drive into boost bit but if I stay out of boost it's just like stock

·
Registered
378 Posts
Properly designed headers and exhaust can boost performance, by allowing more efficient flow of exhaust gases. This improved exhaust efficiency (lower back-pressure) is usually associated with an increase in mass flow into the engine as well. The air/fuel ratio is constantly optimized by the CPU (when running in closed-loop), so more air moving through the engine typically corresponds to an increased fuel consumption.

That's the price you pay for performance with this type of mod.

As for a CAI, the C7 already has one, and there are plenty of entertaining videos of dyno tests where CAIs do nothing to improve power. Some even dyno the engine with the entire air filtration system removed, with no performance gain, demonstrating that the existing air filtration system is not restricting air flow (and using sufficient cooling air to ensure that intake air temperature is the same between all dyno runs).

But hey, it's your money...

and the placebo effect is very real.

One of the entertaining videos.

This video has strong opinion and adult language - even more entertaining.
good to see someone else out there knows a snake oil salesman when they see one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts