Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What type of film did you go with. Thanks for all the pictures.
Sure, you are welcome!

It was a very hard decision for me between XPEL Ultimate and SunTek. He installs both and quoted me the same price for each. He also gave me some samples of each. In the end, I went with SunTek because that sample had a little bit less visible distortion from light reflecting on it, it seemed to take a key strike with less of an initial mark than XPEL Ultimate, and because my installer gave a long list of reasons why he thinks it is better.

However, I think the best thing to do is get samples of each type from your installer and run your own series of tests on them.

The downside is the warranty of SunTek is five years while XPEL Ultimate is 10 years.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
StingRay red tail lights were installed on Caroline.

The taillights have been changed to red on Caroline.

The rear hatch works (the automatic pull down motor still works, the key fob button will still open it okay, the button under "Corvette" on the rear still works, and the physical metal key from the key fob bottom still works to mechanically open it). The turn signals work, the brake lights work, the reverse white lights work, the two white lights above the license plate work, the park lights work, and the light red illumination works when turning on the headlights.

Is there anything else that I should check to make sure it is still working okay?

Pictures will follow when my tired back feels like moving around again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
So, I now have the motor oil which will be used for the 500 mile oil change. I know it is early to buy this. Nevertheless, I thought I had better get it while I could, since it is usually hard to find around here, especially at a good price.

View attachment 41298
I thought the 500 mile change was paid for by GM as in the '15's...not so??? you have done 95% of what I did prior to receipt..i did curb alert and yours is now built in with the front cameras..gonna be a beauty when all is done!!!

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I thought the 500 mile change was paid for by GM as in the '15's...not so??? you have done 95% of what I did prior to receipt..i did curb alert and yours is now built in with the front cameras..gonna be a beauty when all is done!!!
Thank you, Buzz! The updated to-do list is as follows:

1) Get the rest of the paint protection film installed. It is 99% done, but he was not completely finished when I had to pick up the car to go on to the next modifications. Therefore, I will have to take her back to him for him to finish.

2) Take the car back to Hugo for an interior detail, to have the wheels and exhaust pipes cleaned for the first time, and to have the glass cleaned.

3) Do something with the exhaust port. I have paint for it (see post #38 in this thread), but I have not painted it yet. I think I would like to have an exhaust port filler panel instead. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...nce/16539-exhaust-port-filler.html#post218527 where I give my present thoughts in post #9. The following is the one I would really like to have, if I knew it would fit a Z06 as claimed: http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-11683-c7-corvette-exhaust-port-filler-panel-nppdual-mode.aspx.

4) Take a ride down the coast.

5) Somehow get the personalization plaque done.

By the way, yes, GM will pay for the 500 mile oil change. However, I don't want Mobil 1 used in Caroline after the break-in is finished. Therefore, I will take my own Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with me when I go.

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Are these splash guards much wider than the factory installed?
Hi firemansam,

Yes, they are wider than the standard ones which come on the car. The factory ones do not have any width beyond the edge of the car. The optional ones stick out about 7/8" or so.

A lot of people here on the forum recommended them, so I got them. I looked for wider options, but I didn't find any. I think getting these is a good idea.

Reactions: tomdoesit

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi firemansam,

Yes, they are wider than the standard ones which come on the car. The factory ones do not have any width beyond the edge of the car. The optional ones stick out about 7/8" or so.

A lot of people here on the forum recommended them, so I got them. I looked for wider options, but I didn't find any. I think getting these is a good idea.
Thanks rdslon01 for the response! I was planning on adding ACS side skirts and I really like the flaps you chose. Trunk Monkey has about the best price also!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I really love the choices you've made. The CRM / LBR is my second color choice and would likely be he color of my next corvette if there ever is one.

LOVE the 2016 wheels.

Have you considered a splitter? I too had the stage 1 Z06 and HATED the factory splitter. I'm not a big splitter fan to begin with. Went with the minimalist ACS Five1 splitter for practical and aesthetic reasons and love it.

You have an awesome ride!

Caroline had her exterior paint detail done today. The interior and wheels will be done later. Afterwards, I took her over to have paint protection film installed at a local shop.

Here is Hugo, the guy who detailed the exterior of the car. I am really happy with his work. He spent almost half a day working on the exterior of the car today. He got out every scratch which I pointed out to him, and, when I was satisfied, he still went back over the car himself and, with his more discerning eye, found some more which I had not seen. I know that dealership detail guys get a bad rap, but this guy is the real deal.

View attachment 43253

Yeah, I have a lot of orange peel. My car never will be even in the same ballpark as a great one like the car which belongs to ronkh. For that matter, my car will never have a finish as nice as most of the other cars on this forum. GM just did not give me a canvas which will be that nice unless a full paint correction with a lot of work is done. However, I am just not willing to do that. It is what it is.

Anyway, I am very happy with what Hugo did. The orange peel is still there, but he did a great job with the crap which GM gave him to work with. Thank you, Hugo!

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I really love the choices you've made. The CRM / LBR is my second color choice and would likely be he color of my next corvette if there ever is one.

LOVE the 2016 wheels.

Have you considered a splitter? I too had the stage 1 Z06 and HATED the factory splitter. I'm not a big splitter fan to begin with. Went with the minimalist ACS Five1 splitter for practical and aesthetic reasons and love it.

You have an awesome ride!
Hi Don,

This is so funny! We each have the other person's second choice. I love your Laguna Blue. If the 1990 ZR-1 which I saw when I was a kid were not Candy Apple Red, then I would have chosen Laguna Blue for my C7. By the way, when I got married, my wife had me to choose one of the colors for the wedding. I picked Royal Blue, so that tells you something...

I what I dislike most about the Spice Red Design Package is the 10 Spoke Blade wheels which get forced on that package. I much prefer the standard Z06 wheels. It is something which I plan to fix at some point.

I have no splitter on the car at all. I demanded it not be installed during PDI. The slopes vary much too rapidly here in the S.F. Bay Area, and, even though I had the car raised on the stock height adjustment studs, the clearance on the front is still much less than I prefer. I am not going to put any splitter on, because I am not willing to lose even 1 degree of ramp angle I can climb.

Thank you, Don! You have an awesome ride as well. Someday we maybe should think about swapping cars. Haha. My wife would surely go for it, since Laguna Blue was at the top of her list.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hi Rodney,

My choice of blue comes from the corvette I feel in love with as a kid, and vowed some day I would own one.

I live and work in highrises with underground garages with sharply slopped ramps. The stage 1 scrapped if I didn't take it at an angle. This is primarily what drove me to the ACS Five1 as it's designed for maximum clearance. It's never scrapped or been a clearance issue of any sort, making me very happy. But I understand your concern as no one wants to lose their splitter at 35 or 40mph driving on city streets.

Best,

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The SunTek paint protective film has been fully installed.

The SunTek paint protective film has now been fully installed. Pictures are essentially meaningless since it is difficult (well, usually impossible) to see.

My thanks go out to Jeremy G. at Invisiguard in Belmont, CA! If you Yelp "Invisiguard Clear Bra" it will say that he is at 350 Bay St. in S.F. However, he has actually moved to Belmont.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Here is the updated to-do list:

1) Take the car back to Hugo for an interior detail, to have the wheels and exhaust pipes cleaned for the first time, and to have the glass cleaned. While at the dealership, have some "official" delivery pictures taken after she is all cleaned up and presentable.

2) Take a ride down the coast.

3) Do something with the exhaust port. I have paint for it (see post #38 in this thread), but I have not painted it yet. I think I would like to have an exhaust port filler panel instead. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...nce/16539-exhaust-port-filler.html#post218527 where I give my present thoughts in post #9. The following is the one I would really like to have, if I knew it would fit a Z06 as claimed: 2014+ C7 Corvette Exhaust Port Filler Panel - NPP+Dual-Mode : Stingray, Z06.

4) Somehow get the personalization plaque done...

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Oh, by the way, courtesy of a heat gun, the warning labels have been removed from both of the visors in the car. A picture is below.

View attachment 45904

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, I got a small head artist brush this morning with a 13 1/2 inch long handle. I am off to paint the mufflers. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Boomer

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Oh, by the way, courtesy of a heat gun, the warning labels have been removed from both of the visors in the car.
Easy solution for sure. Actually a regular hair dryer will do the job and they remove surprisingly easily.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm interested to know how that will holdup.
I hope it will hold up well. Post #38 shows the paint which I used. http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ne-embarking-journey-change-3.html#post217603.

I still need to do another coat tomorrow.

It looks SO MUCH BETTER. I absolutely cannot paint worth $0.02 (I seriously almost failed kindergarten for my inability to finger paint), and it definitely shows in my attempt today; nevertheless, it still looks so much better than those layers of oxidation on the mufflers and pipes.

Reactions: Boomer and elegant

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Here are some before and after pictures for the mufflers. I definitely didn't do a good job, but I think they look better than before.

Painted_Mufflers_Post.jpg

Reactions: mjdart and Boomer
41 - 60 of 93 Posts