Stingray Corvette Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Looks good to me, Rodney. No one is going to get on their knees for an up close inspection.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Looks good to me, Rodney. No one is going to get on their knees for an up close inspection.
Hehe... If they do, I could use remote start and scare the daylights out of them. :)

By the way, my wife was standing just a few feet outside the garage door the other day when I started the car. It was the first time she had been exposed to hearing the car start. She jumped and made some frightened sound as if she had just been shot. LOL. I got a good laugh out of that.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I hope it will hold up well. Post #38 shows the paint which I used. http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ne-embarking-journey-change-3.html#post217603.

I still need to do another coat tomorrow.

It looks SO MUCH BETTER. I absolutely cannot paint worth $0.02 (I seriously almost failed kindergarten for my inability to finger paint), and it definitely shows in my attempt today; nevertheless, it still looks so much better than those layers of oxidation on the mufflers and pipes.
Here is an update about how the painted mufflers are holding up so far: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ons-he-experiences-2016-z06-2.html#post224960 I have high expectations since the paint is high-temperature and meant for such applications.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think this may have been one of the hardest things in the world that I have ever tried to procure, until I found the "secret" to make it easy.

Anyway, I am not only no longer constrained to the 24 character (including spaces) limit of the BV4 option, but I can also have anything engraved that I want on the other lines as well. I am now really glad that I didn't do the BV4 option, since I can customize this in a far superior manner.

After getting it engraved, I plan on getting some automotive touchup paint in Long Beach Red to color in some of the letters, before having the whole thing cleared and polished.

View attachment 41301

Happy Belated Graduation Present to me!
This is perfect! I'm glad I came across your post!
I had ordered the custom one when I had my Z51 built on 07/01/14 but something was lost in the order and the NCM unfortunately could not do anything about it no matter how much I groveled.
It took awhile but this makes me really happy! :smile-new:
My local jewelry store makes custom name plates for our club so this should be easy.

I just ordered two from TrunkMonkeyParts.com.
!!Correction there seems to be two different ones! I just changed my order from 23198496 to 22891838!!
The one says it's a Dash Plaque Blank APPLIQUE but thanks to rdslon01 I see it should be the blank one!
APPLIQUE - 2015 Chevrolet Corvette (22891838) This is the Correct One!
The sales guy thought they might be the same one but he switched it anyway!!
Thanks once again!!

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I had ordered the custom one when I had my Z51 built on 07/01/14 but something was lost in the order and the NCM unfortunately could not do anything about it no matter how much I groveled.
My local jewelry store makes custom name plates for our club so this should be easy.

APPLIQUE | Genuine GM | 23198496
They call it a Dash Plaque Blank APPLIQUE.
Thanks again!!
That is not the same part number I got. Are you sure it is the right one?

Reactions: MyGreenVette

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

APPLIQUE | Genuine GM | 23198496
They call it a Dash Plaque Blank APPLIQUE.
Thanks again!!
I just checked, and the part number you list above IS THE WRONG PART. That one is not blank.

See my post on the first page of this thread for the correct part number.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
I did everything under the sun I could think of to get one of these. I contacted the Museum but got nowhere helpful. I contacted GM, and escalated it to the third level before getting shot down. I finally got two of the standard "CORVETTE STINGRAY" ones like you find in StingRays [I got two because one got damaged] to dremel off the already-existing "CORVETTE STINGRAY" embossed text with the idea I would get it painted carbon flash on the background to cover up the dremel scratches before getting it engraved and then going from there.

Then, well, as dumb luck would have it, I was browsing and ran across the following page CENTER CONSOLE for 2015 Chevrolet Corvette
Check out the "CONSOLE & COMPONENTS, W/PERSONALIZED, W/O MUSEUM LOGO" which is one of the options for exploded part #27. Yes, you can snag one of part number 22891838 from Trunk Monkey for $37.56, and it will get delivered exactly as you see in my post #5 above (disclaimer: I bought mine from my local dealer, but Trunk Monkey's price is hard to beat).

So, the best laid plans went down the tubes, and dumb luck got me what I had been fighting for for almost two years. Isn't that how life works?
The correct part number is in the post above, which can also be found on the first page of this thread. Trunk Monkey has it now for $36.25.

Here is a link: http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/che...y-cat/center-console-scat/?part_name=applique

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whew! All Fixed! :stupid:

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Reactions: MyGreenVette

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Well, one of those jugs pictured below is now empty, and the other one has just a little bit less than a quart remaining in it.

Caroline has now made some visits over 4,000 RPMs, and she is a different animal up there compared to below 4,000 RPMs.

So, I now have the motor oil which will be used for the 500 mile oil change. I know it is early to buy this. Nevertheless, I thought I had better get it while I could, since it is usually hard to find around here, especially at a good price.

Reactions: Wayne's 1st Vette

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Below is a picture of the tow hook, which is GM part number 15234068, in the back of Caroline. I got the tow hook on sale from Trunk Monkey.

I have tried it in my 2016 Z06 in both the front and rear, and the threads are indeed there. Thank you, Joe Mack, for letting me know it would work! I had given up because I had been told the threads were not on my car, and, since I could not see them, I just took that as a fact instead of investigating further. Because of you, Sir, I now have one and know it will work.

IMG_20160411_191350753.jpg

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
For your information, this is what the inside of the little door, which covers the rear tow hook receiver, looks like. I used some trim tools to pry it off. Initially I tried prying it from the bottom, but that did not work for me. I then successfully pried it away from the car by prying along the top. After taking it off and inspecting it, it seems as if it was meant to unlatch from the bottom, but that just would not work for me.

To reinstall it, I found that I had to install the top first, and then clip the bottom in last. Be careful with the appendix with the diamond shape on the end of the tail; it seems as if it is made to try to hold the door on the car. To me, it seemed to be more of a pain than fulfilling its supposed function.

IMG_20160411_190648833.jpg

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
This is what the rear threaded tow hook receptacle looks like after you remove the little door which is shown above.

IMG_20160411_185736103.jpg

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
For the front tow hook receptacle, I don't have a good picture because it was not worth taking. I just cannot see the threads in there. However, I did install the tow hook in the front, and, just like Joe Mack said, it works. By the way, for those who may be wondering, for the Z06 you do not have to remove any of the grille to install the tow hook into the front receptacle. This is apparently not the same for the Z51, where, as I understand it, a little section of the grille must be removed.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Below is a picture of the DIC after I pulled up into the service lane today to get Caroline's 500 mile oil change. For full disclosure, I did have to circle the block once because when I drove by the front of the dealership the first time, she was at 499 miles.

IMG_20160412_113231468.jpg

By the way, yes, the tires were warm. They start out at 30 PSI when at the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Here is the updated to-do list as of today.

Okay, it is time to update the to-do list again.

Below is the list last published in post #53 of the http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ne-embarking-journey-change-4.html#post219166 thread. The updates will be given afterwards.

1) Take the car back to Hugo for an interior detail, to have the wheels and exhaust pipes cleaned for the first time, and to have the glass cleaned. While at the dealership, have some "official" delivery pictures taken after she is all cleaned up and presentable.

2) Take a ride down the coast.

3) Do something with the exhaust port. I have paint for it (see post #38 in this thread), but I have not painted it yet. I think I would like to have an exhaust port filler panel instead. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...nce/16539-exhaust-port-filler.html#post218527 where I give my present thoughts in post #9. The following is the one I would really like to have, if I knew it would fit a Z06 as claimed: 2014+ C7 Corvette Exhaust Port Filler Panel - NPP+Dual-Mode : Stingray, Z06.

4) Somehow get the personalization plaque done...
1) I decided to make just one trip back to the dealership instead of two. Therefore, the PDI interior detail was not done until I went back for the 500 mile oil change this week. It felt weird driving around with the plastic still on the interior for the first 500 miles, but I personally felt like I should do that. My thought was that I wanted to make sure that, if any defect were found during the PDI interior detail, there would not be any question that it was a factory defect instead of caused by my use. Anyway, it sure felt good to finally get that done and over with. By the way, I will post a picture later showing how silly the car looked with that plastic still in the interior while I was driving it around for the first 500 miles. It was somewhat embarrassing! LOL. :) The other part about the "official" delivery pictures did not happen while I was there. Unfortunately, the day I went earlier this week turned out to be a day when the General Manager was not at the dealership. What a bummer... :(

2) I still need to do this. ---> Take a ride down the coast to San Simeon.

3) This also has been done. I painted the mufflers as shown in previous posts.

4) I still need to do this. ---> Somehow get the personalization plaque done. I am totally procrastinating on this... :(

===The updated, and renumbered, to-do list is below.===
1) Somehow get the personalization plaque done.

2) Take a ride down CA Highway 1 from Marin to San Simeon.

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Okay, here is a picture illustrating the embarrassment from point #1) in the previous post. Otherwise, I really like this picture. I was able to capture the south spire from the Golden Gate Bridge in the background between the cliffs. This picture was taken from a viewpoint you just don't see every day.

IMG_20160402_182644544_HDR.jpg

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Very interesting perspective Rodney.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Okay, here is a picture illustrating the embarrassment...
Actually, I appreciate the uniqueness of the photo - very distinctive in it's own way.

Of course, the passenger also caught my eye - even lovelier than the car, if you'll apologize my simple observation.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Reactions: Mobius
61 - 80 of 93 Posts