Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!

I've fallen in love with the C7 and can't stop thinking about the shenanigans and pride that comes with owning such a beautiful beast. Here is my situation:

>21 years old

>Saved money since I was 8 years old for the sole purpose of buying the perfect car (~24k)

>Able to get a $36,000 loan at .75% ($20k of which would go toward the car for the down payment, the rest would go for investments)

>Full time student at a Military Service Academy (No tuition)

>No obligations that would require a truck/SUV (no significant other, no family in the immediate area :( )

>Guaranteed job after graduation (2 more years to go)

>Car would be roughly $64k with student discount ($5,000) and military discount ($2,000)

>Winters are harsh with snow and summers can see hail from time to time. No access to garage/carport. Would only be able to get a car cover :(

I value cars more than most things in my life (addicted to them really, and would rather go for a drive than a party/bar) and I can't even begin to imagine the concoction of great feelings associated with having a Stingray. I can't see myself in any other car, truck, or SUV for the matter and would hold on to the car for years and years to come. Please, if any of you knowledgeable grown-ups ;) could shed some light on the possible issues, extra costs, and considerations need to be made when buying a 2016 (yes, dealership told me they're one of the largest Corvette dealers in Texas...so allocation won't be an issue and the delivery time to be anywhere from 4-8 weeks. 2016 orders may begin to go through sometime late may-june) C7 with the Z51 package, it would be so graciously appreciated!

Cheers,

Brent

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Greetings All!
I've fallen in love with the C7 and can't stop thinking about the shenanigans and pride that comes with owning such a beautiful beast.
A pretty boy deserves a pretty car - that's why I buy Vettes. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, your planning and reasoning seems solid.

I'd recommend you get a convertible (hey, pretty boys like us deserve to be seen and admired), and you might want to see if you can shuffle a Credit Union discount into the stack.

Reactions: PrettyBoyBrent

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You sound like me 49 years ago, when at age 19 I bought a two year old Corvette.

My only concern would be how much driving do you have to do in snowy weather. Its not a great winter car.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
My only concern would be how much driving do you have to do in snowy weather. Its not a great winter car.
Exactly. This car should be stored inside during the Winter, IMHO. He should find a local GF with a home that has an extra garage stall.

Oh, and buy a used Civic for $4000 as a Winter beater.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
No place to park it safely, winter driving. How's that beautiful car going to look in a few years? Where are you going to wash it? Maybe now isn't the time to buy a new vette. You have lots of time to wait and buy it when the time is right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go for it........sounds like you have your head on straight.

Just bought my 1st C7 at age 63.....

Don't wait till then. If you can afford it, DO IT!

Your in a great area to enjoy the Corvette.

Colorado Springs is a beautiful city, and you will have more time to drive it then what you may think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do not buy this beautiful car without garage space. You will regret it. Once you have a house/apartment with a garage then with all other things in your life being straight then do it. Like most beautiful/ expensive things you will have, the ability to prioritize them and think it trough then , you will almost always make the right decision. good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's only a car, buy it, drive it till the wheels fall off. Enjoy it. It's stupid to keep it low as a low garage queen for the next owner. It's no different than a person that buys one to make a track car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's only a car, buy it, drive it till the wheels fall off. Enjoy it. It's stupid to keep it low as a low garage queen for the next owner. It's no different than a person that buys one to make a track car.
That is exactly how I've been looking at it. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
One thing to think about in our neck of the woods is that, while the roads are actually pretty decent during most of the winter, our temps aren't very "stock tire friendly" (this winter apparently excepted). If you can't get a set of winter rims with all season/winter tires on them and store your original tires, you'll probably have to swap your summers for all seasons.

Also, make sure you get some kind of front-end protection. We have so many rocks and such on the roads that you are almost guaranteed to get a chipped-up frontend without it.

Make sure you get a car cover if you are going to be parking it outside, especially given how intense the sun is here.

Other than those, my vote is go for it!

To those that don't live out here: even when we get a bunch of snow the roads are typically cleared/the snow has melted fairly rapidly. It doesn't stick around like the midwest/east coast, so a C7 is actually a fairly capable "winter car".

·
Registered
415 Posts
Due to your age you first need to price out what car insurance is going to cost you, price it with the type of tranny your choosing
Some might charge more being no garage
Maybe you can find someone who would rent garage space for you, if not get a good car cover but remember SOBs love to try and steal these
cars parked on roads or even key the paint :(

Even if not driving in the snow the stock tires are summer only so you have to factor in another set of wheels and all season tires

Younger drivers think they will live forever and 460 HP C7 can break loose very easy so really decide to learn how to handle the C7 and not get
wacko right off the bat.
Spend the money and go to some type of drivers school at a track to learn the edge of the handling and HP/Tq

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your description of weather conditions would concern me. You knowing it better will have to decide how often will the car sit due to weather conditions making it unsafe to drive, also how will it would hold up to hail (not garaged). If your laying up the car for long periods of time are you really going to enjoy it as a primary car. What would be your insurance cost for your area. Here in NJ you would be in the 3-4 thousand range. Thinking back to when I was in my early 20's a nice car was top on the list, so I understand where you're at. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Seems to me that one way of saving money, addressing the cold weather issues with the stock tires, and not having to have two sets of wheels and tires, is to immediately replace the summer tires that come on the car with some all seasons, trading in the summer Michelins with almost no miles on them. The Continental DWS tires were tested by Tirerack and, among ultra high performance all seasons, were found to have the best snow performance. The test occurred a while ago, but I think the conclusion still holds.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Your head seems to be in a good place.

Here are the top three financial additions to consider besides a great cover or a garage space rental. Some of these mentioned already:

Be sure your insurance will be reasonable. Based upon your age, it might kick you in the pants.

FOR SURE you need some kind of clear bra, which can be pricey. We did 'full front' coverage on ours which covers full hood and front fenders. That cost us $1500. We think its worth every penny.

We are also noting significant beating up of the front of the hips in the back of the sides (on the GM provided clear bra which isn't going to last long at this rate). We are going to be adding side skirts now to protect our car. Not sure which style you prefer, but we're spending $700 on that. May or may not be something you'll need right up front, but FYI could be in your wish list right after, so be prepared.

To be more comfortable, confident, and well prepared for anything that might happen to you in your new beast, I think doing one of the high performance driving schools should be a must with everyone who gets one of these. I can't imagine my younger self with this much HP, because I'm just 'like a kid' in my baby now and I was less level-headed when I was driving back then. Budget $1000 for that to do the owner discounted one at Spring Mountain. My husband and I did Bondurant in Phoenix, which is also fabulous.

Have FUN whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Suzy

Reactions: 62 Vert

·
Registered
145 Posts
Consider getting a slightly used vet and a beater for the winter. Should also help keep insurance down not having the vet as the primary vehicle. Try for covered if not garage parking for the vet. My first vet was 4 years old with 22k miles. Still own it 17 years later and it has 70k miles.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,617 Posts
Consider getting a slightly used vet and a beater for the winter. Should also help keep insurance down not having the vet as the primary vehicle. Try for covered if not garage parking for the vet. My first vet was 4 years old with 22k miles. Still own it 17 years later and it has 70k miles.
That's not bad advice, considering your obligated service at this time. Plus once graduated, who knows where your duty station will be.....Thule, Greenland ?..........:)

·
Registered
873 Posts
On the other hand, it sounds like you are at Uncle Sam's Rocky Mountain monastery. When I went there, we couldn't own a car until after junior year, but a Vette was a very popular option. As long as you get some winter tires, and have the finances covered, I say "Go for it." While not nearly as high performance as a new Stingray, my Academy car was a new '78 L82 4spd Midnight Blue vette.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found my military assignments did not always lend themselves to owning a car. I did buy a beater at one duty station. I used my military time to save money and when I got out at age 23 I used the money saved to pay cash for a two-year-old Convertible Vette.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts